CableMod 12VHPWR adapter wobble

msoffice

Hi everyone, I just got a CableMod 12VHPWR 180 Degree Angled Adapter - Variant B for RTX 4090, and there's a weird wobble to it when connected to a graphics card. Is that normal? Is there gonna be a fire? 

Here's a video: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgPFRWTAV_nnlZow6Ohr4b4ENlK22A

Thanks a bunch! 

43 minutes ago, msoffice said:

Hi everyone, I just got a CableMod 12VHPWR 180 Degree Angled Adapter - Variant B for RTX 4090, and there's a weird wobble to it when connected to a graphics card. Is that normal? Is there gonna be a fire? 

Thanks a bunch! 

Yup! Completely normal. They responded to a reddit post about it awhile back. It's actually intentionally like that! 🙂

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

@CableMod is on the forum BTW! 🙂

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

3 hours ago, msoffice said:

Thanks. Just out of curiosity, why is it like that? 

My guess is strain relief in case you were to bump it. It'll absorb some of the impact without affecting the connectors themselves. There are probably wires going to the CableMod connector to allow for that movement. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

11 hours ago, msoffice said:

Thanks a bunch! 

Fully normal, yep! We made it like this to make sure when you're removing it and installing it that you don't damage anything. The fires/melting instances only occurred if the cables weren't fully plugged in, that wasn't exclusive to the 12VHPWR cables though, it just became more popularly known because of those issues since the cards are much more expensive now, but this happened even on 6 pin and 8 pin cables too. If you don't plug the cables in fully, electrical arcing happens, where heat will continue to build up until, well, the melting points occur. Again though, as long as everything is fully plugged in, no gaps in your connections, you won't have this issue. :)