CPU stuck on stock cooler help

It's like the thermal paste turned into super glue lol. Any ideas on how to get it unstuck?

20230511_071626.jpg

you might have a few slightly bent pins as a result of it coming off like that, so check them and if there are any a stanley blade slotted inbetween the row will straighten them with a gentle nudge

9 minutes ago, IgniVellex said:

It's like the thermal paste turned into super glue lol. Any ideas on how to get it unstuck?

20230511_071626.jpg

Heating it helps, makes it more liquidy.

then twist while sliding it to the side, once you got 1/3 or 1/2 of the CPU off the cooler's plate, try lifting it from that side.

Basically what you are trying to achieve by doing so is to break surface tension, it is pretty much what's gluing your CPU to the cooler, aside from hardened paste.

image.png.696dfdc19b1f809fb93c224fbe4ae386.png

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

If twisting doesn't work, you can often remove it by using a string of dental floss. Slip it up under the edge of the CPU and use a gentle sawing motion while pulling it under the CPU to get it between the CPU and the cooler.

Twimst with care. Is scary but not difficult. Best of luck and I look forward to hearing how it went

r/imsorandom - “mayhaps if i twimst aroumd”

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

instead of twisting i normaly tend to pushnit to the side, twisting seems better tho

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

14 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Twist it off like you're taking apart an Oreo.

I have never heard that analogy before, but now that I have, I will remember it and share this advice with the people. It makes it so simple to understand.

Thank you for your wise words, dear Prophet of CPU Removal. May your frames be high, and your temperatures low.

how even did you manage to achieve this?

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

20 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

This is an insanely common issue.

RyzenFailsYB.png.9ab2f62f0f0703aac0f136e

how tho, dont we all know you 100% should heat up your cpu before messing with cpu coolers? this is like just ripping it straight out almost XD

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

24 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

how tho, dont we all know you 100% should heat up your cpu before messing with cpu coolers? this is like just ripping it straight out almost XD

From what I've heard, this can happen with AMD's stock thermal paste even after heating it up first. The paste ends up becoming a strong adhesive after thermal cycling for a while. The recommendation is actually to remove the cooler in a gentle twisting motion - not to pull it straight up. The PGA retention just isn't strong enough to keep the CPU in place.

It's been a longstanding issue - you can see that a couple of those pictured there are AM3 CPUs - but thankfully now that AMD is moving to LGA, it shouldn't be a problem anymore. The retention mechanism should hold the CPU in place in spite of how strong the thermal paste's adhesion is.

32 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

From what I've heard, this can happen with AMD's stock thermal paste even after heating it up first. The paste ends up becoming a strong adhesive after thermal cycling for a while. The recommendation is actually to remove the cooler in a gentle twisting motion - not to pull it straight up. The PGA retention just isn't strong enough to keep the CPU in place.

It's been a longstanding issue - you can see that a couple of those pictured there are AM3 CPUs - but thankfully now that AMD is moving to LGA, it shouldn't be a problem anymore. The retention mechanism should hold the CPU in place in spite of how strong the thermal paste's adhesion is.

interesting, ive never had this issue with doing the standard short run of cinebench or the like for some minutes before fiddling with the cooler.

PC: 

9 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

interesting, ive never had this issue with doing the standard short run of cinebench or the like for some minutes before fiddling with the cooler.

Was this using the stock paste on the stock cooler? Your sig says you're running an AIO and a CPU that didn't come with a stock cooler.

2 hours ago, hollyh88 said:

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

Was this using the stock paste on the stock cooler? Your sig says you're running an AIO and a CPU that didn't come with a stock cooler.

ive worked on several computers including older ones with older ryzen cpus yeah ive never had this happen to me. never. im amazed it was such an issue lol. guess i should be extra careful. but so far my method of just heating it up for a while seems to be doing just fine.

my build included 😉

PC: 

48 minutes ago, IgniVellex said:

did you get it off? xD

PC: 

17 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

did you get it off? xD

No, I ripped it out without heat lol

12 hours ago, IgniVellex said:

No, I ripped it out without heat lol

at least you learned from this i hope xD 

PC: 

19 hours ago, hollyh88 said:

That’s because it was first build when I did this once. I did some major damage to the board, was being strong rather than smart at the time. Luckily it wasn’t a super expensive lesson.