Cleaning heavily rusted GPU ports

Yashpashar

I've salvaged a couple of mining GPUs that, due to the massive amount of dust covering them, combined the with insanely humid Singapore weather, have totally rusted out ports. They all seem to be working fine, but most of them only output through DVI, and not HDMI. Is there anyway that I can clean the rust out of the contacts and port housings without damaging the GPU components? 

image.thumb.jpeg.1843a54d09180fd07bf75b1a14c24ede.jpeg

I’m just here to say…… wow. 

And maybe WD40?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

13 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

I’m just here to say…… wow. 

And maybe WD40?

I've seen a lot of rusted out GPUs in Singapore, but this is by far the worst I've ever seen.

WD40 seems like a pretty solid idea. I'll try spraying it on some toothbrush and rubbing it into the ports, thanks for the idea.

33 minutes ago, Yashpashar said:

I've salvaged a couple of mining GPUs that, due to the massive amount of dust covering them, combined the with insanely humid Singapore weather, have totally rusted out ports. They all seem to be working fine, but most of them only output through DVI, and not HDMI. Is there anyway that I can clean the rust out of the contacts and port housings without damaging the GPU components? 

image.thumb.jpeg.1843a54d09180fd07bf75b1a14c24ede.jpeg

The metal bracket, easy to fix.

The rusted port however...

I'd say bring them to nearest repair shop and replace the ports with new one :x

Trying to clean the inside of those ports from rust gonna be either annoying, expensive, contact pads destroying, or all 3 combined.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

there's actually a chance that those hdmi ports still work.

The housing looks rusty af, but the contact pins are usually gold plated and they dont rust.

BUT, it would be wise to check the back side of those ports by the contacts with the board area before trying.

if this is this rusty id reccomend taking a look under the hood (remove cooler and if there is one, backplae too) and check if theres rust there too

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

if you must try to get the rust off, try it with light acidic solutions. and be very gentle with it.

rust cleaners are too harsh for this, either dilute it or use carbonated water mixed with a bit of alcohol

You'll endup dealing with drying the card, which is another can of worms in high humidity climate.

40 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

if this is this rusty id reccomend taking a look under the hood (remove cooler and if there is one, backplae too) and check if theres rust there too

A deep clean is definitely in order for all these cards before I flip them. But just peeking around the PCB and through the gaps, other than rusty screws here and there there isn't a trace of rust on the PCB. 

26 minutes ago, ThousandBlade said:

if you must try to get the rust off, try it with light acidic solutions. and be very gentle with it.

rust cleaners are too harsh for this, either dilute it or use carbonated water mixed with a bit of alcohol

You'll endup dealing with drying the card, which is another can of worms in high humidity climate.

I tried vinegar on one of the cards that's completely broken and it had almost zero effect. Since I can't really get the rust off I'm gonna be buying some contact cleaner spray to see if cleaning the pads is enough to revive the port. 

4 minutes ago, Yashpashar said:

A deep clean is definitely in order for all these cards before I flip them. But just peeking around the PCB and through the gaps, other than rusty screws here and there there isn't a trace of rust on the PCB. 

how did you even aquire these

either you bought them from an old man in a black wizard robe in exchange for 2.4 sheckles and a story about your birth in the darkest alley of your city

or you pulled it out of a litteraly trash dump

ngl this seems like a fun project, seeing it super rusty and then puttin in hard work to fix it or clean it up, then sell it

something id do for hobby, interesting, might have unlocked a new passion...

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

9 minutes ago, Yashpashar said:

I tried vinegar on one of the cards that's completely broken and it had almost zero effect. Since I can't really get the rust off I'm gonna be buying some contact cleaner spray to see if cleaning the pads is enough to revive the port. 

very likely it's the port to pcb part that's rusted dead.

6 hours ago, ThousandBlade said:

honestly high percentage (20-25%) vinegar would probably work since it shouldn't damage the plastic... not guaranteed to work but cheap and definitely better than "wd40" lol (cause that isnt what people think it is, it doesn't really do anything against "rust") 

that doesn't even look like rust to me, but vinegar has still a good chance of working imo

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, Yashpashar said:

ah, k... well as said imo this doesn't even look like "rust" might be the pictures not showing it properly 🤔 

ps: also if u used high percentage vinegar and it did nothing then this proofs it isn't "rust" because vinegar works 100% for that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

15 hours ago, Blqckqut said:

how did you even aquire these

either you bought them from an old man in a black wizard robe in exchange for 2.4 sheckles and a story about your birth in the darkest alley of your city

or you pulled it out of a litteraly trash dump

ngl this seems like a fun project, seeing it super rusty and then puttin in hard work to fix it or clean it up, then sell it

something id do for hobby, interesting, might have unlocked a new passion...

Found a man selling a mining rig "on behalf of someone" for 150usd because he was moving. Out of the lot there's two working 1070tis and one 1080ti so I've already got more than twice my moneys worth! I'm actually super excited about cleaning them out and making them look as presentable as possible but I'm genuinely stumped on how to deal with the rust.

15 hours ago, ThousandBlade said:

very likely it's the port to pcb part that's rusted dead.

I can definitely spot some corrosion on the solder joins, I'll be going over those with some alcohol and a toothbrush soon. 

9 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

ah, k... well as said imo this doesn't even look like "rust" might be the pictures not showing it properly 🤔 

ps: also if u used high percentage vinegar and it did nothing then this proofs it isn't "rust" because vinegar works 100% for that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

It's most definitely rust. 

The problem with vinegar is that for it to have effect you need to submerge the part in it for many hours. Just rubbing some on it wouldn't be nearly enough to remove all this, and I don't think it's the best idea to leave a gpu overnight in vinegar lol

An ultrasonic cleaner is the best bet.

I've recovered some serious rust damage this way for data carrying parts.

7 hours ago, Yashpashar said:

Found a man selling a mining rig "on behalf of someone" for 150usd because he was moving. Out of the lot there's two working 1070tis and one 1080ti so I've already got more than twice my moneys worth! I'm actually super excited about cleaning them out and making them look as presentable as possible but I'm genuinely stumped on how to deal with the rust.

sick man, sounds like fun

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

6 hours ago, jaslion said:

An ultrasonic cleaner is the best bet.

I've recovered some serious rust damage this way for data carrying parts.

that sounds ike something you need to spend a lot of 0s on

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

2 hours ago, Blqckqut said:

that sounds ike something you need to spend a lot of 0s on

Random phone repair shop and 25€ later. Usually fits like 5

On 5/11/2023 at 9:10 AM, ThousandBlade said:

there's actually a chance that those hdmi ports still work.

The housing looks rusty af, but the contact pins are usually gold plated and they dont rust.

BUT, it would be wise to check the back side of those ports by the contacts with the board area before trying.

This looks so humid there might be OTHER metals reacting to form salts. Most notably copper salts aka blue and green "rust". Unless these GPUs run flawless as is there is no point on even attempting rust removal. And even if, the protective nickle layer is gone. The exposed iron parts need to be either painted or lacquer coated. Even better with conformal coating. 
I predict these are DOA