What PC Games Did You Play as a Child?

YoungBlade
With all the talk of the PC gaming industry going downhill with the latest AAA releases, I've been thinking about old games. I played a ton of games when I was a child. Not all were amazing masterpieces - most I only remember fondly due to nostalgia googles. Here is as complete a list of the PC games I played as a kid as I can give - this is all that I can remember and I think it's everything:

Populous: The Beginning, Caesar III, Age of Empires II, Lego Island, Shockwave Assault, Battleship, Robert E. Lee's Civil War General, The Superman Activity Center, The Batman Activity Center, Fisher Price ABCs, Fisher Price 123s, Fisher Price Great Adventures Pirate Ship, Fisher Price Dream Dollhouse, Reader Rabbit's Kindergarten, Math Blaster in Search of Spot, Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo, Putt-Putt Dog-on-a-Stick, Pajama Sam There's No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside, Pajama Sam Sock Works, Backyard Baseball, Backyard Baseball 2000, The Sims, The Sims Livin' Large, Sim Tower, Sim Town, Sim City, Sim Coaster, Freddie Fish and The Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds, Freddi Fish and Luther's Maze Madness, Spy Fox in Dry Cereal, Play-Doh Creations, Chessmaster, Star Wars Dark Forces, The Muppets Treasure Island, Chex Quest, and Hoyle Battling Ships and War

All of those are games that I sunk hours into as a child, some way more than others, but all of them I put at least enough time into to remember them distinctly 20+ years later.

Does anyone here have some of the more obscure games on this list in common? I'm sure plenty of folks here have played AoE II and The Sims, but what about Shockwave Assault or Play-Doh Creations?

My first experiences with PC gaming were at an after-school place that had either a windows 2000 or XP PC. Played hours of Oregon Trail, Pajama Sam, Freddie Fish, Lego Island, Lego Racers, and Backyard Baseball.

Had a clunky HP Laptop w/ Vista that I wanted to play Spore on after seeing this whole Nat Geo Documentary about it "How To Build A Better Being". Played some Making History: The calm and the storm on that as well, probably my gateway game into Hearts of Iron and Paradox GS games in general.

I'm really envious of how easy it was for younger me to be impressed/engaged by games, definitely spoiled these days 😅

Off the top of my head, from infancy through, I dunno, 12?

B-17 Flying Fortress

Silent Service II

Sim City 2000

Roller Coaster Tycoon

Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2 (yup, I found my dad's folder)

Amnesia

Think Quick (this game is irritatingly hard as an adult)

Reader Rabbit

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

Comanche 3

Fighters Anthology

F-19 Stealth Fighter

Sim Copter

and of course...Multi-Player Battletech: Solaris

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

https://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/rcttp_ss_04.jpg

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

4 hours ago, Inception9269 said:

https://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/rcttp_ss_04.jpg

i acculy picked this game up on disk fr cheap a few months ago idk y i did im 15 and just had the urge to get it. probbably played it fr a few hours.

Unreal Tournament (1999), Midtown Madness, Half-Life (for 30 seconds until it scared me shitless), Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit (GOATed game) Sims, and a whole bunch of DOS games that were loaded on a floppy disk. 

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450-PLUS-GAMING CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG Strix EVA Edition 12GB OC Cooling: 3x Noctua NF-A14, 1x Corsair ML140 RGB Elite, 360mm EKWB EK-AIO RGB all-in-one cooler Monitors: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ (portrait 2560x1440) & ASUS ROG Strix XG349C (ultrawide 3440x1440) Peripherals: Logitech G915, G502, G733 OS: Windows 11 64-bit

The Command & Conquer series, especially Tiberian Sun, Red Alert 2 and Generals and their respective expansion packs. Come to think of it, do kids these days even know what an "expansion pack" is?

Noelle best girl

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, BIOS P4.60
Memory: ADATA XPG 32GB GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, PNY CS900 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Colorful iGame RTX 4060 Ti 16GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Monitor: Acer QG240Y S3 24.0" 1920 x 1080 180Hz Monitor

you will laugh at this  i am 66 years old so no real games as a kid but i was a big kid when i hit 35 and got my 1st pc and had to install windows from 10 floppy disks it took ages and then a 56k modem was top draw lol 

the first proper game i played was Microsoft flight and that was 25 floppy disks (i still have them somewhere ) but now i am into COD all and yes i still play Microsoft flight but that was a 105 gig download  if that was able to download 1st time it would have taken over a month to download if no one used the phone in that time the times i was downloading and some one picked up the phone to use it i had to start over lol 

Best memories as a kid goes to Red Alert 1, also Crimson Skies, Settlers 2 and 3, Morrowind, Heroes of might and magic 1-3 and Warcraft 2.

Half life and CS are also grate but came a bit later 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

Started with Age of Empires, Stronghold, Conflict Desert Strom, Counter Strike 1.5 and 1.6, Tactical Ops and some racing games in the early 2000s.

Around 2005 I got into Battlefield. First Vietnam and a bit later Battlefield 2. The best memories I have about gaming to this day still are from Battlefield Vietnam LAN sessions.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

On 5/14/2023 at 7:41 PM, emothxughts said:

The Command & Conquer series, especially Tiberian Sun, Red Alert 2 and Generals and their respective expansion packs. Come to think of it, do kids these days even know what an "expansion pack" is?

It morphed into DLC 🤷

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

Age of Mythology and Diablo II when i was 4, nope there was no adult to supervise me 😄

Specs: Ryzen 7 5700G w/ Wraith Prism(locked at 4.2 ghz)

32 GB(4x8) Kingston HyperX Predator 3200 MHZ CL 16 RAM

Asus Prime B550M-A Wi-Fi

3 SSD(250 nVME+480+250)

Cooler Master H500 w/ 750W +80 Bronze PSU

MSI GTX 670 Jurassic Park edition(i don't know the model name it is just as old as a dinosaur)

I'm still playing most of my favourite childhood games every now and then. Some of which are:

- Battle Realms

- Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth

- Empire Earth

- Age of Empires 2

- America - No peace beyond the Line

- Siege of Avalon

- Clonk Planet

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

My favourite childhood games was: 

Motorcross Madness 2 on PC
Halo 1, 2, 3 on Xbox

GTA Vice City, San Andreas and IV on Xbox, PC

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

It's the DOS/W3.11 era for me. 

Desert Strike

Prince Of Persia 

Sensible Soccer

Battle Chess
Doom
Lemming

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I joined PC gaming in best possible era. In mid 90s.

Favorite ones:

Dungeon keeper

Quake

Diablo

Fallout

Age of empires

StarCraft

Heroes of Might and Magic II

Screamer 2

Microsoft Flight Simulator 98

F-117

G-nome

What a time. Yes in this specific time, in my country we do not have licensed games(almost) only pirated versions for $2 or $1.5 for CD

on an Apple iic (2c) 5-1/4 inch floppy disc

- Moon Patrol

- sailing ( cant remember the exact name )

- driving game ( cant remember the exact name )

- space invaders

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

On 5/15/2023 at 3:41 AM, emothxughts said:

think they would equate that too DLC now 🤣😂

On 5/15/2023 at 7:13 AM, nigelxxx said:

you will laugh at this  i am 66 years old so no real games as a kid but i was a big kid when i hit 35 and got my 1st pc and had to install windows from 10 floppy disks it took ages and then a 56k modem was top draw lol 

the first proper game i played was Microsoft flight and that was 25 floppy disks (i still have them somewhere ) but now i am into COD all and yes i still play Microsoft flight but that was a 105 gig download  if that was able to download 1st time it would have taken over a month to download if no one used the phone in that time the times i was downloading and some one picked up the phone to use it i had to start over lol 

aahhh the days where pausable download managers were a god send 😂

Doom

Quake

X Wing

Tie Fighter

Mech warrior 2

MW2:merc

MW2:GBL

Air Warrior 2

Dark Forces

Dark Forces 2 Jedi Knight

C&C

C&C Red alert

Main Rig:

Ryzen 5800x, ASUS Crosshair Hero VII Wi-Fi, 32gb of Corsair Vengence Pro SL 3600 CL18, MSI Ventus 2 OC RTX 3060 12gb, Corsair H115i Pro AIO cooler, Soundblaster AE-7, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition 600 Ohm headphones, Creative Giga Speakers, 1tb ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD, 1tb Intel 665P NVME SSD, 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD, 8tb WB Black SATA HDD, LG SATA Blue Ray Drive, Corsair CX850M PSU, Coolermaster Stryker case, ROG ARGB strips, China ARGB fans, China ARGB SSD heat sink. 🤣

HTPC:

Erying 11800 ES CPU/Mobo combo, 32GB of Corsair LPX 3200 CL16, Gigabyte 4060 8gb LP, Thermalright AXP90 full copper cooler, WD Black SN770 500gb NVME SSD, WD Black SN770 1tb NVME SSD, Crucial MX500 2tb SATA SSD, WD Blue 2tb SATA HDD, Pioneer Blu-Ray burner, Intel AX200 WiFi/Bluetooth, Seasonic 300w TFX PSU, Silverstone ML11 case. STILL NO RGB! 😭

Retro Gamer PC:

VIA C3 1000Mhz, VIA Epia PD-10000 LVDS, 1gb of Kingston DDR, PNY Geforce FX5500 128mb PCI, WD 80GB HDD, Random CD-ROM, Random 250w mini psu, Mini ITX case 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

Terminal Velocity

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom menace

Deadlock: Planetary Conquest

Emulation for SNES, GB (a bunch, really)

American McGee's Alice

Half Life

Doom

Pirahna Panic

Day of the Tentacle

Taco Bell: Tasty Temple Challenge

My first touch with PC gaming was with NFS 3 and Quake 2. After that came Age of Empires, StarCraft, Half-Life, Delta Force, Carmageddon 2, Unreal Tournament, SiN, Legacy of Kain, Soul Reaver, NFS4, NFS5, C&C Red Alert and C&C Generals. To this day we do Quake 2 matches and it's by far the best fun we have in a multiplayer game.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

I was always a console gamer so, uh, donkey kong, pacman, pong (on the actual original hardware) Sonic, Fzero, Another world...  my first pc game was probably 4d stunts car and various demos like midtown madness,  some really old flight sim... in irak and you had to land the fighter jet yourself and stuff, that was kinda fun and more involving as Ace Combat for sure even though the graphics sucked...

ps: my friends even managed to snag a Silicone Graphics "PC"... we tried to get any games running over the weekend but no dice, no idea what happened afterwards with it , but it did actually have cool (demo) graphics lol...

We thought we were gonna play real life Jurassic Park on it or something,  but yeah, no...  👀 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

A lot of 'Legend of the Red Dragon' on the local BBSes . I've been meaning to re-make my own telnet BBS but it's an awful lot of work and well... I'm lazy. 😛 For single player games, I spent some real time with 'Wizard's Castle', '4D Stunts', a buttload of Tetris, and some of the EGA platformers like Commander Keen and Duke Nukum.

Later on in high school, I got into Command and Conquer Red Alert, Quake III Arena, Diablo 1 and 2, and went from there.

Main: 5900X | RTX 3070 | Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite | 32GB DDR4-3600 | 1TB SN750 + 2TB WD SATA SSD

WinXP: Ph2 945 | GTX 750 Ti | Asus M4A79XTD-EVO | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 320GB WD HDD

DOS/Win95: 200MMX | S3 Trio64v2/DX + Diamond Monster 3D | Asus P5-99VM | 64MB PC100 | 80GB IDE HDD

Apple IIe Enh.: 65C02 | 64K RAM | 2xDisk II | SSC - Post