DIY NAS over MOCA adapter not on same network

Henry_Sieber

I am fairly new to networking, but I just moved to a new place and have been having trouble setting up my NAS server. My goal is to have my NAS pc in the basement which is where the ONT is located and have it plugged directly into the switch down there. The setup down there is fiber -> ONT -> switch -> MOCA adapter (basement) -> MOCA adapter (office) -> router. My issue is that when I plugged my NAS into the switch it did not appear on my network. And when I plugged my laptop into the switch it said it was on a different network than the one the router is on. I do not know if this is something that is caused by the MOCA adapters or since the ONT also serves the other unit in my building if that could be causing the issue. Any tips on troubleshooting or things to try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

6 hours ago, Henry_Sieber said:

Any tips on troubleshooting or things to try would be greatly appreciated.

If its a standard ONT and not an ONT router combo then its not going to work the way you want. See most providers provide ONE IPv4 address, and the router allows you to share that address with all devices on your network. So the router would need to be connected directly to the ONT and every thing would need to come off the router. Id put the router in the basement and move the switch to your home office. If you need better WIFi there look in to a wireless Access point. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.