No display after bios update - 7900XTX/B550

Danko12321
Go to solution Solved by Danko12321,

Ok new motherboard seems to have resolved things. I think it's possible I shutdown prematurely on my old board or something otherwise went wrong when updating it and it just didn't want to behave anymore.

B550 5600X 7900XTX
I was running fine enjoying the new card and decided for no good reason (lesson learned..
) to update my bios. Gigabyte Aorus elite.
No longer get display out through the card. System posts and stays up with all the fans and lights on.
Tried flashing bios back to the previous version with q flash plus but it's still not giving a display out via the GPU.
Not sure what to try next. I don't think there's any bios settings like resizable bar or pcie config that would prevent getting a display if they got reset to stock.
Any help appreciated.
EDIT: have ordered a 3200G so I can try with no GPU and motherboard output. That's the one awkward thing with these Ryzen CPUs and no integrated graphics, makes troubleshooting a lot harder.

28 minutes ago, Danko12321 said:

B550 5600X 7900XTX
I was running fine enjoying the new card and decided for no good reason (lesson learned..
No longer get display out through the card. System posts and stays up with all the fans and lights on.
Tried flashing bios back to the previous version with q flash plus but it's still not giving a display out via the GPU.
Not sure what to try next. I don't think there's any bios settings like resizable bar or pcie config that would prevent getting a display if they got reset to stock.
Any help appreciated.
EDIT: have ordered a 3200G so I can try with no GPU and motherboard output. That's the one awkward thing with these Ryzen CPUs and no integrated graphics, makes troubleshooting a lot harder.

try the vbios

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

53 minutes ago, Danko12321 said:

B550 5600X 7900XTX
Any help appreciated.

Are you sure it was finished before you shut down the PC? If you flash using q flash, it might take several restarts. Try clearing CMOS, by turning off PSU. Remove GPU and remove CMOS battery for 5 min. If still no picture after, then q-flash again

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

26 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

try the vbios

And dont do this. Has nothing to do with it

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

2 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Are you sure it was finished before you shut down the PC? If you flash using q flash, it might take several restarts. Try clearing CMOS, by turning off PSU. Remove GPU and remove CMOS battery for 5 min. If still no picture after, then q-flash again

Yeah should have been finished. Also did a q flash plus (just with PSU) and this seemed to complete ok. Will hopefully learn more when I try with the 3200G later today. 

53 minutes ago, Danko12321 said:

Yeah should have been finished. Also did a q flash plus (just with PSU) and this seemed to complete ok. Will hopefully learn more when I try with the 3200G later today. 

We have seen several boards "soft-suicide" when enabling Secure Boot. It somehow locks out the current display output device so changing GPU usually makes it display again. At that point, disable Secure Boot and it works with the old GPU again. Newer BIOSes often have Secure Boot enabled by default so a BIOS update can trigger this bug. 

Integrated video should work as well if it's this bug so the 3200G will hopefully work. If you have a GPU lying around or a friend with a GPU you can borrow, you can try that as well. 

7 minutes ago, Bjoolz said:

We have seen several boards "soft-suicide" when enabling Secure Boot. It somehow locks out the current display output device so changing GPU usually makes it display again. At that point, disable Secure Boot and it works with the old GPU again. Newer BIOSes often have Secure Boot enabled by default so a BIOS update can trigger this bug. 

Integrated video should work as well if it's this bug so the 3200G will hopefully work. If you have a GPU lying around or a friend with a GPU you can borrow, you can try that as well. 

Good to know, I will check this when I get that 3200G installed thanks. 

Ok not having much luck with the 3200G. Tried q flash plus the bios again and it seems to go successful as it goes from quick flashes, to steady flashes, to shutdown after 5 or so minutes. 

Just tried flashing it then booting with just 1 stick of memory and the 3200G and not getting a display out from the mobo. Also concerningly not getting lights on keyboard when plugged in. 

Tried connecting the little 4 pin speaker to see if I got a boot beep and I didn't get one. Starting to question the motherboard now, it it possible it's the problem even though the re flashes seem to behave as they should?

@DoctorNick

Got a new motherboard coming today. Fingers crossed. 

Also will be nice to have USB-C. Been wanting that upgrade for a while. 

Ok new motherboard seems to have resolved things. I think it's possible I shutdown prematurely on my old board or something otherwise went wrong when updating it and it just didn't want to behave anymore.