Troubleshooting Strange Graphical/Sound Glitches In Video Games

Hi all,

I've recently built a new computer and went all out on a 4080. The first week or so with the card has been great, but the last couple of days I've been experiencing strange visual artifacting in basically every game I launch. Models and textures will glitch out, and physics will break. After a couple of minutes of having a game open the audio will make horrible noises then cut completely. I had chalked it up to Jedi Fallen Order being super buggy at the moment, and only recently when I tried launching other games have I noticed that the problem persists. Whenever I am doing anything but playing a video game, the system runs buttery smooth with no visual artifacts or audio issues. 

Things I've tried to resolve the issue:

• reinstall the graphics drivers (clean install, 3x)
  • run windows memory diagnostic
  • reinstall the graphics drivers then reboot the computer
  • Unplug the graphics card power then waiting a bit before plugging it back in

The only thing I haven't tried yet that I thought of was to reseat the graphics card, but I have a feeling that won't help. Will try anyway after posting this. Open to any suggestions on what to do, I'm pretty desperate to figure out what's going on. 

Glitches in Fallen Order:

Glitches in War Thunder:

I dont know about the audio but the visuals sure do look as if the card itself is unstable (basically not enough voltage to propey drive the clocks)

Since you most likely didnt overclock yourself i would suggest downloading msi afterburner and actually lowering the clocks by ~100mhz and see where it takes you (since nvidia locked down voltage control thanks a lot)

I am a bit worried that this means it came defective from the factory and the situation is only going to worsen (had very similar experiences with two old radeon hd 7850s)

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

4 hours ago, xFluing said:

I am a bit worried that this means it came defective from the factory

I mean this is a huge probability, bathtub curves and all. Id recommend a return to the store if its still within your time window, or start the RMA process.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

52 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

I mean this is a huge probability, bathtub curves and all. Id recommend a return to the store if its still within your time window, or start the RMA process.

Yeah I wasnt suggesting he keep lowering his clocks, thats just a bandaid that will only delay the inevitable. He should definitely RMA

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

Thanks for the advice y’all! It should still be within the MicroCenter return policy so I’m going to take it back today to see if that fixes the problem.

So I returned the card to microcenter and got a new one, but the issue still persists in some video games but not others. Like HL2 EP1 runs fine but Eve Online does not. I’m reinstalling War Thunder to see if the issue is still there. Notably the issue seems not as bad as it was but that leaves me clueless as to what I could be.