Is there a market for old Laptops or should I just yeet it at the scrap recyclers?

It's a 12 year old clevo, i7 2820QM, GTX460m and a 1080p LCD. Is it worth selling? A few hundred dollars worth maybe?

The battery is pretty bad and the keyboard is pretty spotty in some zones. The monitor hinge is also a bit loose.

That'll sell. For how much is another question, but probably not in the hundreds. Have a poke on ebay and see what similar spec models go for if you can't find the exact one.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

That can easily be sold. No idea on pricing, but old Clevos (assuming they haven't nuked themselves) carry value.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

54 minutes ago, Seabottom said:

It's a 12 year old clevo, i7 2820QM, GTX460m and a 1080p LCD. Is it worth selling? A few hundred dollars worth maybe?

The battery is pretty bad and the keyboard is pretty spotty in some zones. The monitor hinge is also a bit loose.

it's less than a few hundred for sure. it's maybe a hundered. i'd buy it though, seems like a nice laptop still

She/Her

If you are prepared to yeet it then why not just offer it to a school ..... many schools are just happy to have items that can access internet and do text files etc. 

It might also be useful to them for the spare parts to keep some older equipment running a little longer. 

Consumers since 2000 have had better PC than the offices where they work and schools are so often just at the bottom of the ladder.

also if selling it is too much of a hassle to you, there's charities you can give it to, they'll pass it on to someone who cannot afford a computer. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, porina said:

That'll sell. For how much is another question, but probably not in the hundreds. Have a poke on ebay and see what similar spec models go for if you can't find the exact one.

Similar spec'd laptops on eBay go for $150-200 USD. It's definitely worth it then, but I live in New Zealand and I don't think I'll find a buyer for it, but I can try

21 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

If you are prepared to yeet it then why not just offer it to a school ..... many schools are just happy to have items that can access internet and do text files etc. 

It might also be useful to them for the spare parts to keep some older equipment running a little longer. 

Consumers since 2000 have had better PC than the offices where they work and schools are so often just at the bottom of the ladder.

It's a gaming laptop and the power brick is the size of an actual brick. Plus it weighs a ton for today's fuck-all performance.

Also as I mentioned, the keyboard is a bit spotty, sometimes the keys work, sometimes they don't, must be humidity related I think? I wouldn't want to hand that over as someone else's problem.

But selling it, with the buyer being aware of these issues seems like the better idea. I just don't think the market is that big around here in NZ.

2 hours ago, Seabottom said:

Similar spec'd laptops on eBay go for $150-200 USD. It's definitely worth it then, but I live in New Zealand and I don't think I'll find a buyer for it, but I can try

You didn't look on your country's ebay? Or if there are other popular sales sites check them out too.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible