PG259QNR VS XG2431 VS VG279QM

MS-DOS

Anyone knows what's a better upgrade comming from an XG2401? I only play Quake 3 and QuakeWorld, and watch some tv series or movies. Here is where this monitor really sucks. I can't see half of what's going on in dark scenes.

I was told TN is still king for Quake, so im not sure about these being IPS, but I was told these are better in all departments compared to my current one which im ok with Quake performance wise. So which one should I buy?

OLED is out of the question, I want 24-25" and I don't want to gamble with RMA due burnin and whatnot.

Depends on their price and whether Quake 3 can push above 360FPS, I would select PG259QNR. It's not much more expensive than the rest in my country ($649 vs $499 vs $596). However for black level you may not get huge improvement in dark scene as IPS's contrast ratio is still hovering around 1:1000, but hopefully the extra pop in colours would make up for it.

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

2 hours ago, BuzzingBee said:

Depends on their price and whether Quake 3 can push above 360FPS, I would select PG259QNR. It's not much more expensive than the rest in my country ($649 vs $499 vs $596). However for black level you may not get huge improvement in dark scene as IPS's contrast ratio is still hovering around 1:1000, but hopefully the extra pop in colours would make up for it.

On Quake 3 (well, QuakeLive) it's com_maxfps 250. For QW however, there is a very detailed guide, and basically the higher hz the better:

https://www.quakeworld.nu/blog/140/the-theory-of-smooth-qw

2) MONITOR'S REFRESHRATE

The higher the better, it's that simple. You can try syncing the refreshrate with your maxfps but it doesn't really matter as long as you run at least 150Hz or more. Even lower refreshrates work pretty good, so if your monitor doesn't support 150Hz, even 100Hz can be enough, though not as good. If you can't get at least 150Hz but are limited to 100Hz only, then you should try to match fps that is close to a multiplication of that refreshrate, for example 308fps is close to 100Hz * 3 and so on.

-= Locked =-

Please keep to the original topic.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER