Worryingly Low Performance out of the blue

IcyAlexander

A couple of days ago I played Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition and got 120 fps with all settings to max including Ray Tracing set to Ultra and DLSS to Quality. Now I'm getting around 20-30fps and changing the settings doesn't change anything. I deep-cleaned my GPU drivers and freshly installed them but that fixed it for one playthrough and then it started happening again.
I was getting 170Fps+ on doom eternal all settings max after the install but then on the next day 13 fps with 40 ms latency

1. Is Windows updating something in the background or is a a task perhaps fully utilising the hardisk or SSD the games you're playing on?Or even the OS HDD/SSD? 

2. Have you checked thermals? Is something overheating?

3. How does utilisation of the hardware look whilst playing?

4.  Are you sure you weren't dreaming?

Just now, spongebob123789 said:

Looks like power issue, psu.

again i doubt it. a psu normally should not go from being normal to suddenly giving out little power. also this would cause crashes not the low performance that the op described. what are your temps clocks and what are you running the games off?

10 minutes ago, FrowningHippo said:

1. Is Windows updating something in the background or is a a task perhaps fully utilising the hardisk or SSD the games you're playing on?Or even the OS HDD/SSD? 

2. Have you checked thermals? Is something overheating?

3. How does utilisation of the hardware look whilst playing?

4.  Are you sure you weren't dreaming?

Everything runs below 70C

GPU utilisation is at 99%~ and cpu at 37%

And nothing is being downloaded in the background

Full system specs are going to be needed to be sure here. If you could please share them in the OP or in a reply?

Most likely culprit is the temperatures of your CPU and GPU.

Is this a fresh new build or one that has functioned just fine for an extended period of time before having the issue?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

4 minutes ago, Tomberry said:

again i doubt it. a psu normally should not go from being normal to suddenly giving out little power. also this would cause crashes not the low performance that the op described. what are your temps clocks and what are you running the games off?

Temps below 70C , base clocks and it receives the wattage it needs

Just now, IcyAlexander said:

Temps below 70C , base clocks and it receives the wattage it needs

what about what drive u r using?

Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

Full system specs are going to be needed to be sure here. If you could please share them in the OP or in a reply?

Most likely culprit is the temperatures of your CPU and GPU.

Is this a fresh new build or one that has functioned just fine for an extended period of time before having the issue?

Functions fine after driver reinstalls or sometimes for period of times like a couple of days and then just continues doing this.

It's a farely old build around 1 year old

Full specs are

Rtx 3070 ti gaming Trio , 7 5800x , 32 gigs of 3600mhz ram , Corsair 240mm aio platinum se , 850 watt evga g+ gold rated psu, b550m steel legend motherboard and 970 Evo plus drive

2 minutes ago, Tomberry said:

what about what drive u r using?

Around 56-59 C and I checked with Samsung magician and everything is fine there

2 minutes ago, IcyAlexander said:

Around 56-59 C and I checked with Samsung magician and everything is fine there

i ment model and usage in task maneger?

2 minutes ago, Tomberry said:

i ment model and usage in task maneger?

Samsung 970 Evo plus with 2-4% usage

13 hours ago, IcyAlexander said:

Functions fine after driver reinstalls or sometimes for period of times like a couple of days and then just continues doing this.

It's a farely old build around 1 year old

Full specs are

Rtx 3070 ti gaming Trio , 7 5800x , 32 gigs of 3600mhz ram , Corsair 240mm aio platinum se , 850 watt evga g+ gold rated psu, b550m steel legend motherboard and 970 Evo plus drive

We have a fairly similar build. Maybe not, entirely different platforms. Without actually seeing your system, the best I can think of, is that it's the utilization of your drive by something else without you knowing. I've had several instances where performance just chugs to a halt because 'something' is using the drive like a madman. Not even the primary drive.

Really think you should keep an eye on the utilization of the drives in Task manager when this stuff happens. Escpecially because drive utilization can show it's only like 50% but when you look at the detailed graph it is using 1 of the drives 100%. 

Other then that. Maybe drivers? But IDK.