TV for HTPC?

10leej

I don't really need nor really even want a smart TV since i already have a HTPC powered via libreElec and a media server.

My old venerable JVC television fresh out of 2012 finally gave up the ghost (dead pixel lines) and I'm looking for a replacement and all I'm finding is just one disapointment after another when it comes to dumb TV's.

32-36 inch screen size is plenty acceptable for me and honestly something that can work with my HTPC's DPMS setup so I theoretically never have to hit a power button I guess eArc would work, but I dont believe my HTPC supports it (it's an el-cheapo mini PC I picked up off amazon).

I almost considered just going huge computer monitor but at these sizes a TV is way for financiall practicle.

Should I just bite the bullet on a smart TV and just never connect it to the network? Is that even something I can do?

Why no smart TV? because I have a wonder DSL internet connection with 5mbps down with 2mbps up. Yes in 2023 blame rural America. I specifically don't want to connect it to the internet because I don't want the TV's telemetry eating up my bandwidth (heaven forbid the things I discovered Android broadcasts often eating up the entirety of my upstream bandwidth at times).

I looked briefly at this Spectre TV but after an experience with their PC monitors I'm not sure I wanna go that directions.

maybe this Samsung

or this RCA

I'm not really looking for best possible picture quality, I just want something that can last and won't completely suck.

Budget?

A smart tv is only a smart tv the moment you connect it to the internet.

If you don't it's just a dumb screen that doesn't do anything but be a normal tv. So basically never connect it.

Other than that for 500$ you can get some really nice tvs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B7ZXM1B8?tag=rtings-zz-tv-20&ie=UTF8&th=1

Is a great tv for 500 and offers quite a better image than others you listed.

Dpms sadly is basically a non existant feature in this day and age.

Could go with a a commercial display, not usually any smarts in those things and they are made to last forever, but you will miss some creature comforts, they are about as dumb as you can get usually 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Could go with a a commercial display, not usually any smarts in those things and they are made to last forever, but you will miss some creature comforts, they are about as dumb as you can get usually 

The problem with a lot of commercial displays now is they are more expensive than consumer models. *incoming theories* I'm pretty sure a part of it is because all of the apps, especially 'free TV apps (ie, Samsung TV Plus)' subsidize the cost by selling your viewing data. And for the 'big' apps (Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, etc), I think a lot of the contracts to carry them cut down on the cost for the end user. TV makers sell more TV's, content owners get more subscribers, win-win. So without the apps, the cost of the displays go up. And also, it's 'commercial'/'enterprise' and just that name automatically makes it twice as expensive...

As @jaslion said, just get any 'smart TV' and never connect it to your network. Some TV's are like Windows 11 installations now though, and make you think you have to have internet. But you can always connect it via ethernet if you need to get it online for setup/firmware updates and then unplug it when you don't. No way for it to steal bandwidth if it has no network connection.

17 hours ago, Omon_Ra said:

But you can always connect it via ethernet if you need to get it online for setup/firmware updates and then unplug it when you don't. No way for it to steal bandwidth if it has no network connection.

I've never heard of a TV failing to function with no internet connection aside from initial setup. Connect to WiFi -> Setup -> Download Firmware updates -> Disconnect from WiFi and forget about it. Shouldn't be that hard.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

2 hours ago, Skipple said:

I've never heard of a TV failing to function with no internet connection aside from initial setup. Connect to WiFi -> Setup -> Download Firmware updates -> Disconnect from WiFi and forget about it. Shouldn't be that hard.

I meant they won't let you get through setup without an internet connection is all, not that they'd be useless. But yeah, connect for setup (if necessary; Samsung/LG you do not need internet, but things like TCL Roku TV's might or Sony Android TV's you might), then disconnect when done.

1 hour ago, Omon_Ra said:

I meant they won't let you get through setup without an internet connection is all, not that they'd be useless. But yeah, connect for setup (if necessary; Samsung/LG you do not need internet, but things like TCL Roku TV's might or Sony Android TV's you might), then disconnect when done.

Yeah, no. I don't want even that much touching my network.

As other stated, RTINGs. 

Hisense and TCl generally win on the entry level. I'd suggest skipping their trash tier lowest price possible and spending for the "budget tier" which is not bad. 

https://www.rtings.com/tv

TCL 555 and Hisense U8H 50-55" displays can be had for $350-400ish if you find a good sale. 

19 hours ago, 10leej said:

Don't hook it into ethernet or give it wifi credentials. It can't touch what it can't access. 
Basically every TV these days is a smart TV. You don't have to use the smart features though. 

If you're forced to in order to set it up, do so and then disconnect. 5 minutes of phoning home won't do too much and you're probably too boring to need to worry about it. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

6 hours ago, cmndr said:

As other stated, RTINGs. 

Hisense and TCl generally win on the entry level. I'd suggest skipping their trash tier lowest price possible and spending for the "budget tier" which is not bad. 

https://www.rtings.com/tv

TCL 555 and Hisense U8H 50-55" displays can be had for $350-400ish if you find a good sale. 

Don't hook it into ethernet or give it wifi credentials. It can't touch what it can't access. 
Basically every TV these days is a smart TV. You don't have to use the smart features though. 

If you're forced to in order to set it up, do so and then disconnect. 5 minutes of phoning home won't do too much and you're probably too boring to need to worry about it. 

Can I at least turn off the wifi antennae on the TV to keep my 2.4GHz band clean?

1 hour ago, 10leej said:

Can I at least turn off the wifi antennae on the TV to keep my 2.4GHz band clean?

Possibly. Not sure. It'll depend on the model. 
It's one of those things that doesn't matter in practice. 
Having a microwave in your house will matter something like 10000x as much as having a TV with wifi enabled but not connected to anything. There's not going to be any real impact to your SINAD. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

12 hours ago, 10leej said:

2.4ghz is about the least “clean” frequency range out there and an inactive tv isn’t going to make a measurable difference compared to your neighbour’s microwave or your local senior’s landline’s wireless phone. 

On 4/26/2023 at 7:16 PM, 10leej said:

Bring the entire TV to a coffee shop and do the initial setup there.

Alternatively, create an isolated subnet and point the entire subnet to a VPN. You will remain anonymous at that point.

Regardless, I think you are being a bit overly paranoid about this. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.