LTT's view on the ATH-M50x

Neroon

I encountered an interesting thing while watching an older WAN Show, someone asked about the headphone they were using, and well Linus, Luke and Dan took a dump on them. Saying they suck, they are uncomfortable, and they didn't understand why people liked them, and that they are basically cheap headphones that can be easily replaced when they break.

And I remember watching this Shortcircuit, where Adam claims they are good headphones, with great audio.

Now obviously not everyone shares the same opinion, but I found this quite odd. It's not a sponsored video, so I can only assume Adam didn't know how much they were disliked, but when you put out a video of a 200+ headset, and claim they love them at LMG and everyone uses them, you are giving the audience really bad info. I know Short Circuit is all about quick content, but maybe just not give LMG's stamp of approval to what they consider a 'bad' headphone.

because all the people that thought they were good found out theyre crap 3 years later when the plastic hinges disintegrated. 

On 4/25/2023 at 6:37 PM, Neroon said:

I encountered an interesting thing while watching an older WAN Show, someone asked about the headphone they were using, and well Linus, Luke and Dan took a dump on them. Saying they suck, they are uncomfortable, and they didn't understand why people liked them, and that they are basically cheap headphones that can be easily replaced when they break.

And I remember watching this Shortcircuit, where Adam claims they are good headphones, with great audio.

Now obviously not everyone shares the same opinion, but I found this quite odd. It's not a sponsored video, so I can only assume Adam didn't know how much they were disliked, but when you put out a video of a 200+ headset, and claim they love them at LMG and everyone uses them, you are giving the audience really bad info. I know Short Circuit is all about quick content, but maybe just not give LMG's stamp of approval to what they consider a 'bad' headphone.

That's a huge case of preference. Luke and Linus are used to hd 600's or 650s by Sennheiser which are opened backs and are on a similar level of build quality to the m50s upon first glance but by nature of the headphones themselves being more studio cans and dependant on staying at a desk they do last longer. The 600's and 650's are also headphones with pedigree and imo and many other people's opinions sounds way better than the m50. But are more expensive. Audio preference is all about what you value. Many people value vocals, others value Detail, I personally put a lot of value in staging  so that means a mixture of soundstage( how far sounds can be), imaging (how well sounds are placed around you), and layering (how well sound is conveyed in front of each other relative to distance). Open back headphones by nature tend to be better at staging than a closed back. The m50s is notorious for is near non existent soundstage and overall lacklustre presentation of sound especially in very busy tracks as it can be hard to pick out certain instruments due to it's lack of stage and depending on the volume it can sound both muddy and aggressive in female vocals.  

Many people who are as experienced as someone as Linus or Luke or those or us in audio forums who have tried and own multiple headphones tend to really dislike the m50 due to it's downfalls and especially for the price we can name several other headphones that are miles better than it in the stuff we value. 

The m50 is a decent headphone in the studio for monitoring  though due to it's tight stage and aggressive presentation. It will make problems with the mix very evident and obvious. It's still better than most gaming headsets. I can still come up with better options than that shortcircuit. 

I'd imagine Linus probably wasn't aware a ShortCircuit video was being made about the headset version of the M50, and like rice said it came down to a matter of preference.

1 hour ago, OhYou_ said:

because all the people that thought they were good found out theyre crap 3 years later when the plastic hinges disintegrated. 

The construction of the headset version of the M50 looks the same as the old non headset version, maybe they improved the hinges but as it appears I think it's the same overall design. 

The ATH-M50 in general is a good headphone, generally better than buying a gaming headset from "gaming brands" in the same price range. However the M50 is definitely overhyped, It blew up years ago when MKBHD vouched for it in a video he made that till this day it's still a very popular choice. 

I use to use a M50 almost a decade ago, it's a good headset though the earpads and headband degrade over time and start heavily flaking. The earpads are easy enough to replace, the headband however is more of a bother. I've instead been using a Sennheiser HD600 now, I doubt I'd use the M50 again as a daily driver these days.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

The M50x is what you might call "baby's first real headphones." They were the first cans I bought that were serious about sound, where up to that point I'd only had gaming headsets. At the time they blew me away, though I've started looking for something even better since then. I suspect many others have the same story. The M50x is still an attractive place to start because of they have decent sound at an accessible price point without requiring an amp to drive, and for some people that's all they'll ever need.

I've had no problems with durability on mine, but I will say I found the stock ear cups very uncomfortable. They were slightly too small for my big flapping Dumbo ears, and rubbed the skin leaving them red and painful to touch. Fortunately because they are such a popular model, aftermarket options exist that fit me better without noticeably changing the sound. Because of that mine are still in service years later.

Main rig:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

GPU: Sapphire RX 6800XT

RAM: 2x16GB DDR4

Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I

Storage: 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe, 4TB WD Blue HDD

PSU: Corsair RM850x

Case: Fractal Torrent Nano

NAS:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 4600G

Motherboard: ASRock Rack X470D4U

RAM: 2x16GB DDR4

Storage:

• Boot: 16GB Supermicro SATADOM
  • Pool 1: 2x6TB WD Red Plus HDD mirrored, for bulk storage
  • Pool 2: 2x500GB NVMe SSD mirrored, for apps like Plex and Adguard Home

PSU: Be Quiet SFX-L 600W

Case: Silverstone CS351

The issue isn't preference or even whether the value is good. It's that on Short Circuit they get highly recommended with the approval stamp of other a bunch of other LMG employees, including Linus and Luke, when in reality they aren't fans of them.

We all know how 'whiny' Linus can be, or in nicer terms, how demanding he is of his products, and that if something gets his approval, that usually means the product is very solid. This is not the case here, and I have no doubt that people will have bought these headphone, thinking that 1 of the most critical people in the tech space, is a fan of them.

6 hours ago, Neroon said:

The issue isn't preference or even whether the value is good. It's that on Short Circuit they get highly recommended with the approval stamp of other a bunch of other LMG employees, including Linus and Luke, when in reality they aren't fans of them.

We all know how 'whiny' Linus can be, or in nicer terms, how demanding he is of his products, and that if something gets his approval, that usually means the product is very solid. This is not the case here, and I have no doubt that people will have bought these headphone, thinking that 1 of the most critical people in the tech space, is a fan of them.

The idea of short circuit is not a dedicated deep review channel rather it's more of a first impressions sort of deal. Is there any content that says otherwise? I don't even think Linus watches short circuit content before it being released. I honestly also think it may be a reviewer mismatch as if I had the choice of reviewer at LTT to cover these it would be Dan Besser as he seems better informed on the topic. This host from.hisbtrack record feels more shilly and tends to like everything he listens to. So I personally don't take his stuff seriously. 

For LTT content it's best to approach it like a large news site or gaming site consider the author or in this case the host of the video. Remember while Linus may be the name of the company it's still Linus media group. The keywords media group. And while.ultimately it's Linus'channel short circuit is most likely not even run by him.

I know the purpose of Short Circuit, I know it lacks in depth info. And that's why this one sticks out even more, because they have long time experience with these headphones. I get the argument of Linus not watching etc, but that's not my point. I get why it happened. I'm saying it shouldn't have happened.

This is them saying "These headphones are great, everyone loves them and we use them everywhere", while in reality they do use them, but they are not liked. A regular viewer will absolutely think these are great, if they give their blessing and have been using them. That's my point.

46 minutes ago, Neroon said:

I know the purpose of Short Circuit, I know it lacks in depth info. And that's why this one sticks out even more, because they have long time experience with these headphones. I get the argument of Linus not watching etc, but that's not my point. I get why it happened. I'm saying it shouldn't have happened.

This is them saying "These headphones are great, everyone loves them and we use them everywhere", while in reality they do use them, but they are not liked. A regular viewer will absolutely think these are great, if they give their blessing and have been using them. That's my point.

Them not being liked is Linus and Luke's opinion on them. Doesn't mean the rest of the crew who uses them doesn't. If you are a long time viewer of LTT content you will notice in the background everyone uses different gear including headphones and I suspect the people who uses the m50 at work likes them. And they use them because they like them. Again preference is key. While Linus an like may not like them yeas I aggree they would the most important opinions the host of the short circuit episode featuring the headphone may personally like them. So that's his opinion I don't see what the disconnect is from preference. 

20 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Them not being liked is Linus and Luke's opinion on them. Doesn't mean the rest of the crew who uses them doesn't. If you are a long time viewer of LTT content you will notice in the background everyone uses different gear including headphones and I suspect the people who uses the m50 at work likes them. And they use them because they like them. Again preference is key. While Linus an like may not like them yeas I aggree they would the most important opinions the host of the short circuit episode featuring the headphone may personally like them. So that's his opinion I don't see what the disconnect is from preference. 

Are you understanding what I'm saying? Linus, Luke AND Dan doesn't like them. All 3 of them. So we got Linus, mr Tech Tips himself, Luke who had a strong opinion, and Dan who is all about audio.

You make it sound like their opinion don't carry that much weight, when in reality it very much does.

Look I saw the Short Circuit video before watching this WAN Show. When I saw that video, I was man these must be really solid ones, because Linus is anal as hell about his stuff. This is the guy who will spend countless hours removing batteries from smart home stuff, adding wires, only to avoid replacing a battery every few years. If they are good enough for him, they would be good enough for me.

So when I watched the WAN, I was like, are these actually the same headphones, it can't be right, how is he this negative about it. I looked it up, and they are the same headphones. This is not something most people will do, so instead they will assume that they like them.

It's very simple, the video is bad, their statements are at the very least highly suggestive that they are liked by people like Linus and Luke, and viewers should not need to watch old WAN Shows, or do an in depth look into how reliable the info is, why LMG uses them etc.

All your arguments do not fly for regular viewers. The imply Mr Anal Tech Tips (that sounds off...) like them, and that's nonsense. Also you cannot tell me that if they had included that WAN clip in the Short Circuit video, that it would not have had any impact. Think about it.

2 hours ago, Neroon said:

Are you understanding what I'm saying? Linus, Luke AND Dan doesn't like them. All 3 of them. So we got Linus, mr Tech Tips himself, Luke who had a strong opinion, and Dan who is all about audio.

You make it sound like their opinion don't carry that much weight, when in reality it very much does.

Look I saw the Short Circuit video before watching this WAN Show. When I saw that video, I was man these must be really solid ones, because Linus is anal as hell about his stuff. This is the guy who will spend countless hours removing batteries from smart home stuff, adding wires, only to avoid replacing a battery every few years. If they are good enough for him, they would be good enough for me.

So when I watched the WAN, I was like, are these actually the same headphones, it can't be right, how is he this negative about it. I looked it up, and they are the same headphones. This is not something most people will do, so instead they will assume that they like them.

It's very simple, the video is bad, their statements are at the very least highly suggestive that they are liked by people like Linus and Luke, and viewers should not need to watch old WAN Shows, or do an in depth look into how reliable the info is, why LMG uses them etc.

All your arguments do not fly for regular viewers. The imply Mr Anal Tech Tips (that sounds off...) like them, and that's nonsense. Also you cannot tell me that if they had included that WAN clip in the Short Circuit video, that it would not have had any impact. Think about it.

I have watched it but again I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. Luke doesn't have much say in the content, Linus most likely dint watch the video and is most likely not even the one curating this channel, and Dan doesn't have a say in the content that leaves this channel he has his own shit to do. Sure I aggree they should curate their own content better but I'm saying stuff like this shouldn't be a surprise. Linus doesn't use or like apple products all that much yet their is pro apple content that leaves his channels including short circuit not just Mac address. 

You are giving an explanation as to why it happened. I understand why it happened. This is about misinformation on their channel.

14 minutes ago, Neroon said:

You are giving an explanation as to why it happened. I understand why it happened. This is about misinformation on their channel.

All I'm saying is it doesn't need to be taken that way. 

35 minutes ago, rice guru said:

All I'm saying is it doesn't need to be taken that way. 

What are you trying to argue here? You are twisting and turning to find some way to explain why it's ok. When in reality Adam clearly didn't know that Linus, Luke and Dan disliked them, and perceived their use of them, as that they did like them. This in turn creates misinformation. That's it. It's not an attack on anyone, just the fact that the information is misrepresented.

It's not really misinformation when it's a subjective opinion about something. It's a perspective issue. Compared to almost anything released by a gaming company, they're great. Compared to an HD650? Not so hot.  

In general, I see these damn things as being pretty similar to the MDR-7506. They're not that comfortable, they don't sound awesome compared to good headphones, but they're fairly robust, they're very easy to drive (medium impedance, high sensitivity) and they sound good enough.

If you're expecting to be spoon-fed information on what to buy, I'm sorry to say it, but you're going to be disappointed. It's not as simple as "these are great" or "these are terrible". There are applications where they're pretty good, applications where they're pretty lousy, and applications where they're passable. In the case of the M50X, for most things, they're the latter. They're passable for most things. In general, the vast majority of tech reviews are a surface glance at the product by people who are semi-qualified to give an opinion. Take them with a (medium-sized) grain of salt. 

The "honest" way of doing a tech review would be to measure a whole bunch of characteristics, then discuss the potential issues with the product, then discuss where it does and does not make sense. Doing this requires a fairly deep understanding of the hardware being dealt with (hint: these people are expensive!), and this type of video tends not to do very well - most people don't have the attention span, background knowledge or interest to watch them.

If you're disappointed in the information you received from LTT, then it's probably time to start doing a little more research. With information, you can have it quickly, easily, or accurately - pick any two. You don't get all three. 

2 hours ago, H713 said:

and this type of video tends not to do very well - most people don't have the attention span, background knowledge or interest to watch them.

Especially when deep dives is not the pij t of t-shirt circuit the video that is claimed to be misinformation. That's the whole point of labs when that content finally becomes available. 

Also just like reading Wikipedia article should never be considered proper research watching 1 person's subjective opinion should never be proper research either. 

Headphones simply are one the most subjective product categories you could think of. 

When you pass a certain level of quality (which is objectively measurable) , there just isn't "the best set of headphones".

Personally, I'm a big fan of the old school Beyers (DT770 and 990 that would be). For my head those are reeeaaally comfortable, I dig the sound signature and the availability of spare parts if necessary (they are quite modular) means that they'll probably last for decades.

Does that mean, that DT770 are the best headphones for you, or more broadly speaking, in general? Absolutely not! Your head and ears might have a different shape, your listening preferences might be diametrically opposed to mine. Maybe you would strongly dislike them. 

In the end, we'd both be right, cause we have our very own idea of what makes headphones good. It's just a matter of perspective, preference and experience. 

So just because Linus, Luke and Dan don't like the ATH-M50x, it doesn't mean they are absolute trash. It just means Linus, Luke and Dan don't like them. Linus' take on them frankly feels a bit polemical and should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not gonna lie, those wouldn't be me preferred headphones either, but I'd take them over most gaming-branded headsets any day of the week. 

Adam saying "they are good headphones" is the same as someone saying "the VW Golf is a good car". Well it certainly is alright and will take you places, still you'll find a lot of people with valid reasons to dislike it. 

18 hours ago, H713 said:

It's not really misinformation when it's a subjective opinion about something. It's a perspective issue. Compared to almost anything released by a gaming company, they're great. Compared to an HD650? Not so hot.  

In general, I see these damn things as being pretty similar to the MDR-7506. They're not that comfortable, they don't sound awesome compared to good headphones, but they're fairly robust, they're very easy to drive (medium impedance, high sensitivity) and they sound good enough.

If you're expecting to be spoon-fed information on what to buy, I'm sorry to say it, but you're going to be disappointed. It's not as simple as "these are great" or "these are terrible". There are applications where they're pretty good, applications where they're pretty lousy, and applications where they're passable. In the case of the M50X, for most things, they're the latter. They're passable for most things. In general, the vast majority of tech reviews are a surface glance at the product by people who are semi-qualified to give an opinion. Take them with a (medium-sized) grain of salt. 

The "honest" way of doing a tech review would be to measure a whole bunch of characteristics, then discuss the potential issues with the product, then discuss where it does and does not make sense. Doing this requires a fairly deep understanding of the hardware being dealt with (hint: these people are expensive!), and this type of video tends not to do very well - most people don't have the attention span, background knowledge or interest to watch them.

If you're disappointed in the information you received from LTT, then it's probably time to start doing a little more research. With information, you can have it quickly, easily, or accurately - pick any two. You don't get all three. 

It seems everyone here is missing the point. You all keep trying to argue how short circuit is not in depth, or if they are good value. It's about Adam heavily implying the headphone is liked by LMG staff such as Luke and Linus, when in reality they don't like it. It's that simple. Nothing else matters. The statement is incorrect.

So just answer this, and nothing but this: Does Linus and Luke like these headphones? If the answer is no. Should they say they are loved by LMG, including Linus and Luke. 

3 hours ago, Neroon said:

It seems everyone here is missing the point. You all keep trying to argue how short circuit is not in depth, or if they are good value. It's about Adam heavily implying the headphone is liked by LMG staff such as Luke and Linus, when in reality they don't like it. It's that simple. Nothing else matters. The statement is incorrect.

So just answer this, and nothing but this: Does Linus and Luke like these headphones? If the answer is no. Should they say they are loved by LMG, including Linus and Luke. 

You do realize there is publicly 76 members of the LMG team publicly https://linusmediagroup.com/ not including anyone they could have under probation or contract sure it could imply like and Linus but I also you know implies 74 + other members of a team with their own individual preferences and opinions on what sounds good to them. 

5 hours ago, Neroon said:

Linus didn't seem enthused by them, but at no point did Adam say that Linus liked them. He said "David is wearing them and we use them on the WAN show. They're good headphones". 

As far as I'm concerned nobody has said anything incorrect. It didn't imply anything incorrect either, unless you're so naive as to believe that the boss is the one who buys every piece of equipment in the lab/studio. 

Also, who cares if Linus and Luke like them? Neither of them are especially qualified to comment on audio hardware, and if it's true that they use HD600s on a daily basis, I wouldn't expect them to have anything nice to say about a $150 studio headphone.

4 hours ago, rice guru said:

You do realize there is publicly 76 members of the LMG team publicly https://linusmediagroup.com/ not including anyone they could have under probation or contract sure it could imply like and Linus but I also you know implies 74 + other members of a team with their own individual preferences and opinions on what sounds good to them. 

And these 2 just happen to be the people who run LMG and Floatplane, have the most screentime on their channels, and who's opinions are highly valued by the community. But sure they are 2 out of 100+ people that work there.

But nice cop out.

1 hour ago, H713 said:

Linus didn't seem enthused by them, but at no point did Adam say that Linus liked them. He said "David is wearing them and we use them on the WAN show. They're good headphones". 

As far as I'm concerned nobody has said anything incorrect. It didn't imply anything incorrect either, unless you're so naive as to believe that the boss is the one who buys every piece of equipment in the lab/studio. 

Also, who cares if Linus and Luke like them? Neither of them are especially qualified to comment on audio hardware, and if it's true that they use HD600s on a daily basis, I wouldn't expect them to have anything nice to say about a $150 studio headphone.

Hence I said heavily implied. He says they are good headphones, well respected, are used on the WAN Show while showing Linus and Luke.

No one is gonna interpret that, that Linus and Luke don't like them. If you keep arguing that it doesn't, it just tells me you can't have an honest discussion.

And no, it wouldn't mean they think they are the best out there, but they would think they are good, because that's what he's literally ssying while showing them on screen.

Why would I think they buy them? Who is talking about that? You are just making stuff up now.

Who cares if Linus and Luke likes them? Well likely the viewers of Short Circuit, which is a sister channel of Linus Tech Tips, which is another channel owned by Linus Media Group, who's CEO is Linus Sebastian, and who's most popular video host is Linus Sebastian. Yeah why would anyone give a shit what he thinks, he's basically just another rando working there.

Why wouldn't they have anything nice to say about 150 dollar headphone?

Just because you use something more expensive, doesn't mean you can't say anything nice about another/cheaper product? The argument here isn't about them claiming they are the best, it's about the fact that Linus and Luke dislike them, while the Short Circuit video makes it sound like they are fans of them.

These guys have a lot of reviewing experience, they understand that they can like a product, while still not using it to replace their own. They do not like these.

Also nice cop out.

On 4/30/2023 at 4:12 AM, Neroon said:

Why wouldn't they have anything nice to say about 150 dollar headphone?

its not very good for most use cases. therefore having  nothing nice to say is sometimes better than saying hey its at least better than this product. 

Just because you use something more expensive, doesn't mean you can't say anything nice about another/cheaper product?

but if the product again isnt very good in your opinion why would you. especially in the headphone space. as someone that probably knows more than linus about what is available in the headphone space there is literally almost no reason to recommend the m50x . and I'm someone who uses both $800 headphones and $15 on a daily basis. you are correct just cause you have standards doesn't mean you should just shit talk a product but that doesn't mean sometimes you shouldn't same things happened in the cpu market when ryzen was undeniably the choice in certain time periods in respective budget spaces. people would literally give you every valid reason possible not to buy the intel cpus for good reason.  Linus and Luke said it themselves they don't understand why people like the m50x's and gives reasons why they don't like them and considering preferences and what they use daily which are very different sounding headphones what we call " neutral and warm" sounding headphones vs the m50x, often called "Muddy and sharp" by other more audio focused reviewers whose jobs it is to review headphones of course their not gonna like them . Linus himself has also reviewed and recommended cheaper headphones than the m50x's. watching the videos he gives his reasons as to why he doesn't like them to him they don't sound great and the pads are uncomfortable which can be a huge deal breaker for many although it can be addressed. and has really nothing that much good to say about them. because in all honestly in today's market there is literally nothing good to say about them other than their pretty durable and they are at least better than the vast majority of gaming headsets. 

while the Short Circuit video makes it sound like they are fans of them.

the short circuit makes it seem like they are just decent value. it literally says nothing. the host in the short circuit also says " if this is your first step into the entry level audiophile area with high quality headphones, your gonna love these" this is a huge key sentence for those of us that are experienced like Luke and Linus in the area linus himself having like a $10 000 audio setup at home. these suck. like for me I would rather listen to koss ksc 75's  a $15 headphone. if you also paid attention to the video he also pulls out lab results that make them look bad for gaming. highlighting a pretty large bass shelf and very peaky treble. and a big dip in the mids, all resulting in what I complained about here. for gaming closed backs you generally want to have something closer  to the target response which is the white dotted line for more informed consumers in the space they would see this and know to stay away. Especially if you know these are closed back headphones which have a tendency to have little soundstage and when badly tuned often sound congested. thus throwing everything including all its flaws at your ears. 

image.thumb.png.330b3aeb788bfabf40f02d2a5cb290c4.png

On 4/25/2023 at 7:15 PM, rice guru said:

. The m50s is notorious for is near non existent soundstage and overall lacklustre presentation of sound especially in very busy tracks as it can be hard to pick out certain instruments due to it's lack of stage and depending on the volume it can sound both muddy and aggressive in female vocals.  

watching the short circuit video again he doesn't even give it a glowing review and a glowing recommendation. all he says really is its  better than a gaming headset like literally everyone on here has been saying and the mic is pretty good so its pretty decent value for a $150. He also highlights in the video  as he says "there are so many opinions on it" literally meaning people have differing opinions on their quality. from some people it's unlistenable ,for other people it's one of their favorite closed back again back to what everyone is talking about, preference. he also highlights they are a bit "overhyped" and I'm sure in the interest of keeping good relations he doesn't highlight why they were overhyped (MKBHD).he also says they wouldn't be his first choice for headsets if you were into really competitive headphones. like the review itself is somewhat middling to a recommend at best nothing glowing nothing exceptional even though the title says what it says. 

while the Short Circuit video makes it sound like they are fans of them.

It literally doesn't. all it says is some people use them. and guess what Linus and like uses them on their WAN show. but hate them. now you may ask why they use them? cause their cheap and durable. as they say in that part on the WAN show. 

On 4/30/2023 at 2:02 AM, Neroon said:

Adam says nothing around the lines "they are loved by LMG".

that's what we're about to find out. both of these headphones are based on the Audio Technica m50xs, which is a very well respected and very popular headphone. (David: I'm wearing it right now.) see, David's using them, we use them on the WAN show, they're good headphones. it seems like as long as they put a good microphone on here it's a swing and a hit.

He later adds (along the lines with Linus' complaint):

I found the m50xs to get pretty warm pretty quickly. I don't personally find them to be a very comfortable headset, though some people can wear them all day. your mileage may vary.

There is no expression of "love" here.

ShortCircuit videos are generally very positive. You will find a rant here and there, but they tend to highlight the strength of something. However, they also tend to throw in unfiltered marketing BS that's sometimes plain misinformation. I personally find this way more problematic than subjective ambiguity:

the cool thing about planar magnetics is that unlike a dynamic driver where you have a coil that's surrounded by a magnet that then pushes a large diaphragm, with planar magnetics you have magnets that go along the entire plane of your diaphragm. and then, when an electric charge is put on each side of it, it wiggles the diaphragm and that produces a sound. so instead of having the sound Focus kind of from the center of the woofer at the back, you have this whole thing producing sound. so it's like that as opposed to like a cone and part of that is what gives like their unique kind of sound. like people often talk about like this speed or the Precision of the bass response in planar magnetics - uh - it's not and that's because you're not trying to have one small magnet move a big diaphragm, you have all of this diaphragm all of these magnets working together to move a lot more air. on the other hand, that does tend to make these more expensive to manufacture than a typical Dynamic driver also they're just not as popular.

I understand your struggle with these superficially opposing views expressed on SC and the WAN show. You will always find ambiguity with personal and public opinions. But what are they supposed to do? Calling the M50x atrocious headphones even if the public opinion is overwhelmingly positive? Do you want that controversy? Or do you use the diplomatic approach ("which is a very well respected and very popular headphone") and separate your personal opinion from it?

35 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

Or do you use the diplomatic approach ("which is a very well respected and very popular headphone") and separate your personal opinion from it?

especially on short circuit which is not meant to be very deep reviews as they are generally first impression content just a step above unboxing content

On 5/1/2023 at 12:53 PM, HenrySalayne said:

Adam says nothing around the lines "they are loved by LMG".

He later adds (along the lines with Linus' complaint):

There is no expression of "love" here.

ShortCircuit videos are generally very positive. You will find a rant here and there, but they tend to highlight the strength of something. However, they also tend to throw in unfiltered marketing BS that's sometimes plain misinformation. I personally find this way more problematic than subjective ambiguity:

I understand your struggle with these superficially opposing views expressed on SC and the WAN show. You will always find ambiguity with personal and public opinions. But what are they supposed to do? Calling the M50x atrocious headphones even if the public opinion is overwhelmingly positive? Do you want that controversy? Or do you use the diplomatic approach ("which is a very well respected and very popular headphone") and separate your personal opinion from it?

Heard of paraphrasing? Next time I will say 'very well respected, good, and used by LMG'. Obviously you completely missed the point I made, because I used a different word, even though the argument is 100% the same. Good job to get the point. 

It's fine if Short Circuit is positive, it's fine if Adam likes it. But again that wasn't my point, and you would've understood that, if you had bothered to read my posts.

If Adam thought they were shit, he absolutely should've said that, regardless of other peoples opinions. Have you seen Dan's videos? Have you see how he rips into product, and how he is loved for his brutal honesty?

Again this is not about Adam or the way the channel is done. This is about him saying they are loved good and very well respected and use by LMG, including the WAN hosted by Linus and Luke, who both dislike them. Nothing else matters.