Intel Core i9 12900K reaching 100C

Hi LTT Community,

I updated my rig with a Core i9 12900K and it's reaching really high temperatures under load (100C). I know 12th Gen Intel CPUs are known to be toasty but I'm not sure if 100C under load is normal? Under normal use (Multiple tabs in Opera, Edge, Plex, Word, Photoshop, Illustrator) it stays well within 32-50C but playing demanding games (Hogwarts Legacy, Last of Us, Plague Tale: Requiem) or rending anything on Premiere pushes it to 100C (It also reaches 100C under stress tests like Cinebench). It doesn't go above 100C and the cooler tries to bring it down to 90C but struggles. Is this safe? Do I need to change any settings or is 100C fine for this chip? All temperature were monitored on HWMonitor. 

My specifications (custom build):

Asus Prime Z690 Motherboard

Intel Core i9 12900K

darkFlash Twister DX360 360mm AIO

32 GB DDR4 3200MHz Crucial Ballistix RAM (8GBx4)

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 TI (MSI Ventus x3)

Windows 11 22H2 on Samsung 990 Pro

NZXT C850 80+ Gold Power Supply 

NZXT H710i Case

All the extra fans the case comes with (Three on top, and one exhaust at the back, plus AIO + fans in the front) in performance mode in NZXT CAM

The system is stable even at 100C. I haven't seen any game crashes or even shut downs, I'm just a bit worried about the temps reaching 100C and if there is something I've missed in the configuration that's causing such high temps. I also understand CPUs don't really toast themselves so easily and thermal throttle when temperatures reach so high, but I'm worried about the motherboard and other components that might suffer because of the high heat and if there is anything, apart from replacing my AIO (which I don't really have the finances for) that can bring the temps down. I also want to know if I'm just getting anxious and a 100C peak is normal for the 12900K? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2 minutes ago, Kichkandi said:

Hi LTT Community,

I updated my rig with a Core i9 12900K and it's reaching really high temperatures under load (100C). I know 12th Gen Intel CPUs are known to be toasty but I'm not sure if 100C under load is normal? Under normal use (Multiple tabs in Opera, Edge, Plex, Word, Photoshop, Illustrator) it stays well within 32-50C but playing demanding games (Hogwarts Legacy, Last of Us, Plague Tale: Requiem) or rending anything on Premiere pushes it to 100C (It also reaches 100C under stress tests like Cinebench). It doesn't go above 100C and the cooler tries to bring it down to 90C but struggles. Is this safe? Do I need to change any settings or is 100C fine for this chip? All temperature were monitored on HWMonitor. 

My specifications (custom build):

Asus Prime Z690 Motherboard

Intel Core i9 12900K

darkFlash Twister DX360 360mm AIO

32 GB DDR4 3200MHz Crucial Ballistix RAM (8GBx4)

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 TI (MSI Ventus x3)

Windows 11 22H2 on Samsung 990 Pro

NZXT C850 80+ Gold Power Supply 

NZXT H710i Case

All the extra fans the case comes with (Three on top, and one exhaust at the back, plus AIO + fans in the front) in performance mode in NZXT CAM

The system is stable even at 100C. I haven't seen any game crashes or even shut downs, I'm just a bit worried about the temps reaching 100C and if there is something I've missed in the configuration that's causing such high temps. I also understand CPUs don't really toast themselves so easily and thermal throttle when temperatures reach so high, but I'm worried about the motherboard and other components that might suffer because of the high heat and if there is anything, apart from replacing my AIO (which I don't really have the finances for) that can bring the temps down. I also want to know if I'm just getting anxious and a 100C peak is normal for the 12900K? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

my i5-13600K hits 105 with an NHD15 this is life now IG

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

Your case is at fault. Due to being EXTREMELY restrictive on air intake the aio simply doesn't get enough fresh air and doesn't cool that well.

The darkflash is also a lower tier aio cooler so those combinations result in this scenario.

100c is the thermal throttle point for intel so it slow the cpu down to prevent damage. This way it keeps working but slower.

The fact it does it in games that don't even utilize the full cpu really screams cooling issues out loud.

So whilst it's in spec and working as intended to not damage itself it's not optimal because you are leaving performance on the table.

What is the cinebench score? Could easily be that you are basically running a 12700k in terms of performance due to overheating 😛

@Kichkandi You could try going into the bios and lowering the CPU voltage. A lot of times CPUs will ask for a lot more voltage than they actually need. For example with AMD cpus I'd see them draw around 1.4 volts or so, but I could manually set it to around 1.32 and be perfectly fine, with the temps also going down some as a result.

Other than that have you tried blowing on it?

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

Hi

Where is the radiator located?

Do you have additional fans installed in the case?

You could consider:
- Adding more fans to increase flow
- Mount additional fans on the radiator in push/pull configuration, to increase static pressure.

- Have your best buddy, who is a gifted CNC-Dude-of-awesomenaut'ness, mill or lasercut a custom mesh/grid/pattern on the front panel, to maximise airflow.

- Buy a new case, e.g. Fractal Torrent, NV7, H9 Flow, Lancool 216 or other high flow case.

- Buy a more efficient AIO... e.g Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 or other...

- Or, underclock as suggested above.

Just a note... Isn't the PSU on the minimum requirement for a 12900K and 3070ti?

33 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

my i5-13600K hits 105 with an NHD15 this is life now IG

Btw what case?

You might also be suffering from suffocated components if your case is a rubbish solid front

32 minutes ago, Inception9269 said:

@Kichkandi You could try going into the bios and lowering the CPU voltage. A lot of times CPUs will ask for a lot more voltage than they actually need. For example with AMD cpus I'd see them draw around 1.4 volts or so, but I could manually set it to around 1.32 and be perfectly fine, with the temps also going down some as a result.

Case is the main issue but once thats been solved should definitely also do this, though iirc volts pumped into the cpu is mobo dependant since ive heard alot of asus boards tend to overvolt the crap out of the cpu and make them run hot

Manual (static volt) set if you wanna run a static allcore freq but if you use dynamic freq then use a voltage offset

10 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

You might also be suffering from suffocated components if your case is a rubbish solid front

its good mesh

https://phanteks.com/Eclipse-G360A.html

35 minutes ago, jaslion said:

They have a nzxt h710i

I was talking abt my sistuation

34 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

If clocks are boosting past 5g you are problably fine then, though id recheck thermal paste application, a cheap high end thermal paste would be gelid gc extreme (7$ for 3.5 grams iirc)

yeah like 5.5 and doesnt thermal throttle for like 5 minutes also its got NTH2

55 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

alot of asus boards tend to overvolt the crap out of the cpu and make them run hot

Correct some even go to 1.5v

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Your case is at fault. Due to being EXTREMELY restrictive on air intake the aio simply doesn't get enough fresh air and doesn't cool that well.

The darkflash is also a lower tier aio cooler so those combinations result in this scenario.

100c is the thermal throttle point for intel so it slow the cpu down to prevent damage. This way it keeps working but slower.

The fact it does it in games that don't even utilize the full cpu really screams cooling issues out loud.

So whilst it's in spec and working as intended to not damage itself it's not optimal because you are leaving performance on the table.

What is the cinebench score? Could easily be that you are basically running a 12700k in terms of performance due to overheating 😛

Yea, I didn't really have a whole lot of options so had to go with the darkFlash. Cinebench score, I don't remember, but I get your point. It's running like an i7 at this heat level.  

1 hour ago, DD08 said:

Hi

Where is the radiator located?

Do you have additional fans installed in the case?

You could consider:
- Adding more fans to increase flow
- Mount additional fans on the radiator in push/pull configuration, to increase static pressure.

- Have your best buddy, who is a gifted CNC-Dude-of-awesomenaut'ness, mill or lasercut a custom mesh/grid/pattern on the front panel, to maximise airflow.

- Buy a new case, e.g. Fractal Torrent, NV7, H9 Flow, Lancool 216 or other high flow case.

- Buy a more efficient AIO... e.g Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 or other...

- Or, underclock as suggested above.

Just a note... Isn't the PSU on the minimum requirement for a 12900K and 3070ti?

So, the radiator is located in the front, with fans behind it in the pull configuration. And yes, I do have additional fans (well, the ones that came with the case anyway), they're under the top of the case, also in pull configuration. There is one fan at the back, with is the exhaust and in the push configuration. 

And thank you for the suggestions. Adding fans to the front of the radiator might be a good idea. And yes, as many have mentioned here, I think the main problem is actually the case. I can feel the cool air being pulled into the case from the thin air holes, but the main problem seems to be the solid font panel. I have a business near me that does custom CNC work, I think this is the best solution actually. I'll pop off the front panel and have them do a cool design on the front to maximize airflow. 

I spent a lot of money on the computer so can't really afford to get new components, but I know darkFlash isn't really the best AIO, I thought getting a bigger one even from a less efficient or reputed brand would be enough to tame the 12900K, but I guess I was wrong. I'll try more fans and a custom CNC on the front panel for now and see if that doesn't helps, I'll save up for a new AIO if it doesn't. Are the ones from NZXT any good if I do go for a replacement for the AIO? Just because NZXT is more readily available where I'm at. 

I haven't gotten into any issues with the PSU yet, but MSI Afterburner does report voltage limits on the GPU from time to time.

1 hour ago, Inception9269 said:

I haven't undervolted or overvolted before, so a bit scared to do this honestly. How safe do you think doing this is? I can look up some guide and try to undervolt as you mentioned. And lol, yes, might just have to pop off the side panel and put a fan in front of it.

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Correct some even go to 1.5v

So a 1.32 undervolt mentioned by @Inception9269 would be good for this CPU?

Just now, Kichkandi said:

I'll pop off the front panel and have them do a cool design on the front to maximize airflow. 

Look that up online nzxt cases have been a popular one to do this to because of their shit airflow and there are tons of designs!

More fans won't help. What will actually help is replacing the fans from the darkflash with something as basic as arctic p12's. The darkflash fans are generic cheap case fans with very little static pressure. The arctic fans are massively better (and quiet) and if you want rgb the p12 rgb series is right there.

The aio part isn't bad. Just generic basically like a ml360 from cooler master. But simply adding actually good fans can help a fair bit.

2 minutes ago, Kichkandi said:

I haven't undervolted or overvolted before, so a bit scared to do this honestly. How safe do you think doing this is?

Undervolting worst case the pc crashes and tells you you took too much. But there are plenty of guides with guidelines about what voltage to set.

28 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

yeah like 5.5 and doesnt thermal throttle for like 5 minutes also its got NTH2

Then its totally fine and reaching expected performance, though if you care about powerbills you may wish to detune it abit

5 minutes ago, Kichkandi said:

I haven't undervolted or overvolted before, so a bit scared to do this honestly. How safe do you think doing this is? I can look up some guide and try to undervolt as you mentioned. And lol, yes, might just have to pop off the side panel and put a fan in front of it.

Safe without a doubt as long as you arent an idiot and mixed up the negative offset and set it as a positive offset but your cpu will not die till you start running >2v and degradation takes abut of time to set in

@Kichkandi for undervolting the CPU you can find videos on YouTube that'll walk you through what to do. The worst that can come from undervolting your CPU is that your PC might crash, but it shouldn't damage anything.

Whenever it comes to the voltage, whatever it shows being drawn by the CPU, I'd start things off by lowering the voltage by 0.5, and if things still work just fine with no issues, perhaps lower it a bit more.

I haven't messed with Intel systems since my old i7-6800K system many years ago, so I'd recommend specifically looking up guides for undervolting Intel systems to get an idea for how far you can go.

Don't know where in the world you are located, but as Jaslion suggests, try getting some Arctic P12 fans if you can... They are sold in 5pcs value packs, and is mega value per döllar!

With the radiator fans in pull config, they both have to "fight" the resistance through the front panel and the radiator. Not so happy jazz hands [ENABLED]...

If you can get the front perforated for cheap, then go for that. Otherwise, Push/pull front mounted radiator, 3 top exhaust and 1 exhaust at the back(10 fans) -> 2 x Arctic P12 5pcs Value packs ! 😄  The push/pull should increase the static pressure and flow substantially from the DF.

Good luck! 🙂 

@Kichkandi I found this article here that does a pretty good job walking you through how to undervolt CPUs https://cpuninja.com/undervolt-cpu/

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Then its totally fine and reaching expected performance, though if you care about powerbills you may wish to detune it abit

Im 14 dont pay power

2 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

Im 14 dont pay power

Right

im a tad conscious on power consumption cause last time i ran f@h for an ltt comp in a matter of a couple days my parents noticed the power bill and wondered what was causing it so i just quietly shut my rig off and no more issues, wonder why they didnt even question me

7 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Right

im a tad conscious on power consumption cause last time i ran f@h for an ltt comp in a matter of a couple days my parents noticed the power bill and wondered what was causing it so i just quietly shut my rig off and no more issues, wonder why they didnt even question me

Lol my mom uses my setup every now and then and I just mostly blame it on her. Sorry mom.

6 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

Lol my mom uses my setup every now and then and I just mostly blame it on her. Sorry mom.

Lmao thats one way to ignore power efficiency for max performance