i7 13700k Integrated Graphics good enough?

Jim, in Iowa
Go to solution Solved by Trinity-W,
10 minutes ago, Jim, in Iowa said:

Yeah, I might have to do that. 

Thanks for the input so far!

UHD Graphics 770 is an integrated graphics card (IGP, GT1) in Alder Lake and Raptor Lake SoCs that offers 32 execution units (EUs) and a clock speed of up to 1.65 GHz (depending on the CPU model).

The performance depends on the CPU model it is integrated in and the used memory. The gaming performance is even on fast models only suited for low demanding games in 720p and low detail settings. Higher demanding games like Cyberpunk 2077 or Dying Light 2 (see benchmarks below) did not run well in our tests.

The GPU supports up to 4 displays with eDP 1.4b (5k120), DisplayPort 1.4a (8k60) and HDMI 2.1 (4k60). 

The Alder Lake SoCs are manufactured in the "Intel 7" named process (enhanced 10nm at Intel).

Yeah the iGpu supports numerous displays.

Hi, I'm thinking about using the integrated graphics on an i7 13700k to drive a pair of 4k monitors for non-gaming. The i7 8700 I have right now struggles a bit, on occasion, with a 1080p monitor and 4k combination. Will the 13700k have better integrated graphics processing, and do you think it can handle a pair of 4k monitors?

Thanks!

Jim

I would think a cheap ~$200 graphics card would also do the same job considering a 13700K would be more than that combined with a new motherboard. Is it mainly for office work the iGPU?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Whats the 8700 struggling with?

If the cpu is fine and its iust thr gpu department simply adding a cheap (used) gpu with more power is far cheaprr

I run some heavy calculations, so the 13700k will be a welcome upgrade. I want to avoid a dedicated GPU if I can, otherwise I might grab an Intel Arc A750 for $250. 

This sounds like a case of "try it and find out"

May as well give the iGPU a shot before spending the money of a GPU you may not need.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

10 minutes ago, Jim, in Iowa said:

UHD Graphics 770 is an integrated graphics card (IGP, GT1) in Alder Lake and Raptor Lake SoCs that offers 32 execution units (EUs) and a clock speed of up to 1.65 GHz (depending on the CPU model).

The performance depends on the CPU model it is integrated in and the used memory. The gaming performance is even on fast models only suited for low demanding games in 720p and low detail settings. Higher demanding games like Cyberpunk 2077 or Dying Light 2 (see benchmarks below) did not run well in our tests.

The GPU supports up to 4 displays with eDP 1.4b (5k120), DisplayPort 1.4a (8k60) and HDMI 2.1 (4k60). 

The Alder Lake SoCs are manufactured in the "Intel 7" named process (enhanced 10nm at Intel).

Bit of a tech guy, converted to PC's when consoles did not entertain me enough, the last console being an Xbox, was fun with Halo multi-play though. But  the want to discover, to test, to learn more about computers drove me to levels I had never known...

Some GPU's I have had, 8800GTS 384MB, 7800GT, GEFORCE 4 MX440, 250GTS,  770 GTX, 1650 GTX, RTX 3050 Plus many other GPU's over the years...

The respect I have for LMG is massive like a black hole, sucking in all the knowledge, I watch their awesome video's, their knowledge is like that of a God. Seriously some say they are number 1 in the whole wide world. LMG is like the INTEL fabrication plant. Beaming with technology goodness...

1 hour ago, Trinity-W said:

Well there it is! It sounds like the iGPU has a good chance of working, so I'll give it a try. Thanks everyone for the help!

4 minutes ago, Jim, in Iowa said:

Well there it is! It sounds like the iGPU has a good chance of working, so I'll give it a try. Thanks everyone for the help!

Happy computing. 🙂

Bit of a tech guy, converted to PC's when consoles did not entertain me enough, the last console being an Xbox, was fun with Halo multi-play though. But  the want to discover, to test, to learn more about computers drove me to levels I had never known...

Some GPU's I have had, 8800GTS 384MB, 7800GT, GEFORCE 4 MX440, 250GTS,  770 GTX, 1650 GTX, RTX 3050 Plus many other GPU's over the years...

The respect I have for LMG is massive like a black hole, sucking in all the knowledge, I watch their awesome video's, their knowledge is like that of a God. Seriously some say they are number 1 in the whole wide world. LMG is like the INTEL fabrication plant. Beaming with technology goodness...

• 9 months later...

.. I feel like some of these responses are a bit unhelpful.  pretty much every business laptop has been running two or three HD displays for a decade.  My terrible dell i5 runs three 2d displays via the docking station and the laptop monitor at 1080p.  UHD770 has no problems driving two 4k displays for business use.  It's confusing to me why someone would want to run 4k displays for business use - in my experience, I've just ended up scaling up my excel spreadsheets and text anyway. . but if the op already has the monitors or wants to leg in and buy a gpu at a later time it will be totally fine.

Also in my experience - my msi z790 mobo only has one hdmi and one dp .. so twin monitors require both of those.  So that is something to watch out for.  But i'd guess most 4k monitors have both inputs.