Best gaming monitor...?

TomSerious

Hello!

I guess this gets asked a lot, but I can't find a good answer...

Currently I have the Asus PG42UQ, which has a defective DisplayPort and the buttons don't work properly as well...

I am also not a fan of OLED-burn in and that I have to do a pixel cleaning if I use the monitor for over 6 hours or so...

Also I miss my Ultra Wide 😅but I like the bigger picture of the 42" Screen...

What monitor would be the "best" to get for gaming?

Budget should be under 2k € and my PC can run all resolutions easily I guess 😅👍(13900KF, Strix 4090 and custom watercooling)

Thank you in advance!

11 minutes ago, TomSerious said:

Hello!

Currently I have the Asus PG42UQ, which has a defective DisplayPort and the buttons don't work properly as well...

I am also not a fan of OLED-burn in and that I have to do a pixel cleaning if I use the monitor for over 6 hours or so...

Budget should be under 2k € and my PC can run all resolutions easily I guess 😅👍(13900KF, Strix 4090 and custom watercooling)

Thank you in advance!

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/WQvqqs/samsung-odyssey-g9-490-5120x1440-240-hz-monitor-lc49g95tssnxza

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/2srYcf/lg-ultragear-38gn950-b-380-3840x1600-160-hz-monitor-38gn950-b

The 2nd one is a weird resolution tbh. If you can do an even higher screen, then definitely recommend the Samsung monitor.

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

13 minutes ago, GeorgeMKane said:

I am highly against the g9 as you often need to sens it back multiple times to not get a shit version of it that has all the common issues.

The main issue for you is that you are in a niche of a niche of a niche. Basically the only other alternatives are tvs and the phillips tv that became a monitor but is still really just a tv.

Other than the asus there isnt much in the 42 inch bracket for monitors

1 hour ago, TomSerious said:

Hello!

Thank you in advance!

Best is defo OLED like Alienware 34 

Burn in is still a discussion topic rather than a real problem, I didn't see yet any burn in report on OLED monitors

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Thank you all so much for your replies!

I just found a 'maybe fix' for the Asus PG42UQ, it's flickering with some applications and I thought it's a defective DisplayPort port...

Now that I read more and more, it sounds like I have the monitor in OC mode (138Hz) and G-Sync only works up to 120Hz, which could explain the flickering for certain applications...

I will test it when I get home from work, but I also ordered the Alienware 34 inch (AW3423DWF) to see if I like it more 😅

Thanks again!

The alienware OLED 34 is not the best. TBH, OLED is freakin awesome but the shortcomings of it and the software voodoo you gotta do to make it run well for a year or two before you are in RMA hell is intolerable too me. If someone can improve it to make it competitive with other LCD/LED types then im all in, but i refuse to spend a good chunk of loot on something that is def going into rma within 2 years most likely 3 if youre real lucky and dont use it much.

With that said, I use a Alienware 3821dw which is a IPS LED 1ms gtg unit so it will be stable and you will get some longeviity out of it. You get G-Sync ultimate with the upgraded chip and its freesync compatible. Its got the 2300 curve to it which is perfect, its curved but not so much that it introduces distortion etc.. the HDR is terrible and i dont use it, but im not a big fan of HDR anyway so im not missing it. Its 144hz, has a under screen light which i love and the OSD controls are well done. The only other thing i can think of now is that it comes from Dell and it has a advanced exchange service and the premium panel guarantee replacement policy if anything happens with it or you get even one dead pixel for 3 years.

All monitors will make some compromises here and there but this is one of the few,imo, where they tried to ding all the bells and came damn close. It performs as it should and i really love it so far. Thats my best pick for ya. Oh, and the base panel is a LG panel.😉

1 hour ago, TomSerious said:

Now that I read more and more, it sounds like I have the monitor in OC mode (138Hz) and G-Sync only works up to 120Hz, which could explain the flickering for certain applications...

That most certainly doesn't make any sense. Sounds more like a bad cable. I have the same panel in my LG C2 42" and absolutely adore the thing, wouldn't trade it for the world. 

You could also try HDMI 2.1 assuming you have a GPU capable of that (I'd hope so owning a 4K display). 4K 120hz HDR 10-bit works great via HDMI 2.1 on my C2. 

4 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

That most certainly doesn't make any sense. Sounds more like a bad cable. I have the same panel in my LG C2 42" and absolutely adore the thing, wouldn't trade it for the world. 

You could also try HDMI 2.1 assuming you have a GPU capable of that (I'd hope so owning a 4K display). 4K 120hz HDR 10-bit works great via HDMI 2.1 on my C2. 

It fixed it 😅! it was G-Syncing every application and for the new (ugly) Outlook and FreeCAD it "crashed" the screen so it went black for a couple seconds.

I tried 3 cables already!

Now I have it on 120Hz instead of 138 Hz (it actually says that G-Sync only works to 120Hz in some 'hidden' manual), and no more problems!

Already canceled the Alienware monitor since I also really love the PG42UQ 👍