Should I get a used gpu for my first build?

Arxiitect

Pretty much the title. I'm building my first pc and I was going to use a new 6750xt, but I've noticed used 3080s for around the same price as a new 6750xt. Should I go with the new 6750xt, or used 3080?

I'm aware of the performance difference in the two cards, although I'm just a bit weary of buying a used gpu (bc of miners and potentially under performing cards)

I don't see why not, but it all depends on used and new prices for those GPU's. What country are you in and what online retails are you looking at?

I personally would not for my first build. Once built, you want to relish your achievement. If the card is used, it also may have issues and if you turn it on for the first time and something goes wonky, your stomach will just sink.

After the first build, you will have some confidence and knowledge, but first time, it could take a while to be sure, and if the card is wonky, you now have to delay that satisfying feeling until you can replace the bad card.

Yeah, I know it can happen with new too, but it is fairly rare. 

Enjoy the build, enjoy the journey to finish it, and most of all, enjoy your accomplishment.

10 hours ago, RokinAmerica said:

I personally would not for my first build. Once built, you want to relish your achievement. If the card is used, it also may have issues and if you turn it on for the first time and something goes wonky, your stomach will just sink.

After the first build, you will have some confidence and knowledge, but first time, it could take a while to be sure, and if the card is wonky, you now have to delay that satisfying feeling until you can replace the bad card.

Yeah, I know it can happen with new too, but it is fairly rare. 

Enjoy the build, enjoy the journey to finish it, and most of all, enjoy your accomplishment.

If he can test the card and verify it works 100% before buying, i would consider buying used.

But there is also the issue of warranty. The performance difference between 6750XT and 3080 for the same money is not that big (about 26%). I mean, it is something, but it is still in the same "class" of card, it won't make the difference between a game being playable or unplayable. 

I would get a card with warranty over that performance increase personally... it depends on your risk tolerance. 

On 4/19/2023 at 3:40 PM, yogurt245 said:

I don't see why not, but it all depends on used and new prices for those GPU's. What country are you in and what online retails are you looking at?

I'm in Canada, using Kijiji and Ebay