Gigabyte or Asus for the 4070?

Flux Azreal
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

The Gigabyte card has a better cooler and would in theory be quieter, but it's a 4070, it really doesn't need all that much power delivery or cooling performance. It's not like you're gonna notice a difference in performance, longevity, or really even noise going for one over the other so it doesn't really matter one way or another. I'd probably get the Gigabyte card just because, but if you've got a fairly cramped case the ASUS card being smaller would be a significant upside and therefore the better pick. 

3 minutes ago, Flux Azreal said:

If they're both about even which has better software

Both are bad, Gigabyte it worse. That said, neither card to my knowledge has RGB, so it's not like you'd need to use any of their software to begin with. Only piece of software you might want to install is some sort of fan control or overclocking software, in which case get MSI Afterburner and use that instead. 

Im planning on purchasing a 4070 and I found these two that look good, but I don't know which brand is more reputable. I've had issues in the past with EVGA and I want to choose the one that has better build quality, would anyone know what are the benifits of going for one over the other? Or which one is objectively better?

Asus: https://a.co/d/7MbKrJL

Gigabyte: https://a.co/d/5a65QDj

If they're both about even which has better software, or if they have any special features like a physical oc button on the card, etc

Personally, I'd probably go for an Asus Strix but between the Asus Dual or Gigabyte Windforce, I'm not aware that there's much of a difference. The Windforce coolers have gotten quite a bit better since the days of Maxwell and Pascal, as far as I know.

1 minute ago, Flux Azreal said:

EVGA

RIP 😞

For what it's worth, EVGA really did make the best Nvidia cards. The release of the 4070, coupled with it being an actually decent card, has made me miss them even more than I already did.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

The Gigabyte card has a better cooler and would in theory be quieter, but it's a 4070, it really doesn't need all that much power delivery or cooling performance. It's not like you're gonna notice a difference in performance, longevity, or really even noise going for one over the other so it doesn't really matter one way or another. I'd probably get the Gigabyte card just because, but if you've got a fairly cramped case the ASUS card being smaller would be a significant upside and therefore the better pick. 

3 minutes ago, Flux Azreal said:

If they're both about even which has better software

Both are bad, Gigabyte it worse. That said, neither card to my knowledge has RGB, so it's not like you'd need to use any of their software to begin with. Only piece of software you might want to install is some sort of fan control or overclocking software, in which case get MSI Afterburner and use that instead. 

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Personally, I'd probably go for an Asus Strix but between the Asus Dual or Gigabyte Windforce, I'm not aware that there's much of a difference. The Windforce coolers have gotten quite a bit better since the days of Maxwell and Pascal, as far as I know.

RIP 😞

For what it's worth, EVGA really did make the best Nvidia cards. The release of the 4070, coupled with it being an actually decent card, has made me miss them even more than I already did.

Thanks for your respond! It really is tricky, I'll look more into what they provide individually.
But I agree, I'm sure I was just part of the 0.1% but if EVGA released a 4070 gpu i'd buy it for sure.

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Thanks so much for so much info! If they're so similar then I'll just go for the Asus since it's smaller, and could fit into more builds in the future

10 minutes ago, Flux Azreal said:

I'm sure I was just part of the 0.1% but if EVGA released a 4070 gpu i'd buy it for sure.

I just upgraded to a 2070 Super a few months ago, but I totally would have bought a 4070 if EVGA was bringing one to the table.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

RIP 😞

Strix’s are $80 more