RIP dvd with pretty bad scratches but some parts readable

So I have an old family DVD, no copy protection or anything. It has some pretty bad and deep scratches but after wiping it with a microfibre cloth it works ok. Some parts of the video don't work, likely due to the sacratches but more or less 70% of it seems fine. I need a piece of software that will be able to rip all the working parts. I first tried handbrake but it fails after reaching the first unreadable part but if I do each chapter individually it sort of works with some chapters being shorter due to unreadable parts, however it does seems to miss some parts out. I also tried vlc but it only rips until the first unreadable which is about the first 11 minutes of the video until failing. I did also try copying the files of the dvd but that simply gives an error.

TL:DR I need to rip all the the readable and recoverable parts of a video from a damaged dvd.

Try car headlight polish on the DVD. Sometimes you can smooth the scratches out enough to just barely make the disc work.

If that doesn't do it and you have an external DVD drive you don't care about, hit the bottom of the disc with Pledge furniture polish and try again. That might fill the deepest scratches long enough to get one more read out of the disc.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

21 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Try car headlight polish on the DVD. Sometimes you can smooth the scratches out enough to just barely make the disc work.

If that doesn't do it and you have an external DVD drive you don't care about, hit the bottom of the disc with Pledge furniture polish and try again. That might fill the deepest scratches long enough to get one more read out of the disc.

The flashbacks....ahhhhh🙈

Try making an image of it using ddrescue on linux.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

51 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

I would say to try to make the image before any physical step, so nothing more is lost if something goes wrong 

13 minutes ago, Jenko32 said:

I would say to try to make the image before any physical step, so nothing more is lost if something goes wrong 

Fair enough, but headlight polish is pretty safe. It's a lot less abrasive than toothpaste and other homemade "scratched disc" remedies.

Attempt a rip as-is, then attempt physical fixes.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

i gotten scratch fix form move rental stores but dont no if there around any more? 🤷‍♂️ but the one that looks like a recerd player did a good job. probly cost a lot to buy thow. i think it was like $5

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

3 hours ago, Shark_Vader said:

Well that thing also got stuck similarly to the other programs

Probably best with ddrescue imaging then (you don't have to install linux to use it, you could run a live version on bootable from a usb drive). It may be Windows preventing the read as it does for failing HDD but I'm not sure how

On 4/17/2023 at 9:07 PM, Shark_Vader said:

Well that thing also got stuck similarly to the other programs

I increased the recovery speed otherwise it would take weeks. It was able to rip pretty much the whole disc with few parts missing. Now I'm kinda stuck on how to convert the video__ts folder with VOB files to mp4.

On 4/16/2023 at 11:57 PM, Jenko32 said:

https://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=29
I've never had to use it so I never actually tried it (saved the site some time ago) but it says it does what you need

I increased the reocvery speed and it was able to copy pretty much all the readable parts in a few hours. Thanks