YEah Hi there. If you could go on ahead and link your YouTube shorts here like your long videos that'd be greeaaatte.

Uttamattamakin
Spoiler

200.gif.e5076c30ca72c337d60449f4045ec6b2.gif

Thoughts anyone?  

Amazing that a file could perhaps just be sitting on a "disk" ... storage device like an unexploded mine for however long and just do this.   It makes me want to consider installing Qubes or another super secure OS to open any file I don't 110% know... or what plug every device you buy / find after being unsed for a time into a sacrificial system first?   Could've happened to any reasonable technically savvy user.  IMHO  (Sorry in advance if this should be in the old mega thread ... wasn't sure if I should necro it for this.)

It's not only according to Luke, it's according to loads of people who do security for a living.

Remember the time when there were some "conspiracy theories", where hoards of people thought chip manufacturers would put in hardware-level backdoors into a system? "Could be in any chip" kinda thing? Not saying it happened (on a large scale), but it's technically possible. And it can probably be done with almost all chips these days, if the manufacturers really wanted to do such a thing.

"Us plebs" just have to thrust, or become next-level paranoid. Common sense, and if the situation requires it, level up a few things. But in the end, if some kind of group/agency/government REALLY wants your data, they most likely can just grab it.

57 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

-Threads Merged-

Please refrain from reposting content.

Sorry ... I wanted to have a discussion but also make a suggestion and wasn't sure to do one post or one in each place. 

8 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

True but you know how they have a LTT releases subforum. 

They ought to do that for shorts. 

Shorts are clips of full videos, mostly. Are the rest worth having their own threads for discussion about what is shown/presented as videos? Also, currently only LTT main videos are getting their own threads. Not WAN Shows, not TQ, not SC, not TL (well, it has whole subforum), not MA and not CSF. So if their social medias team should bring something to forums, it should be one of the more established existing channels.

As for linking to shorts feeds on sidepanel or somewhere else, like as thread on LTT Official hub, quite possible.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Shorts are clips of full videos, mostly. Are the rest worth having their own threads for discussion about what is shown/presented as videos? Also, currently only LTT main videos are getting their own threads. Not WAN Shows, not TQ, not SC, not TL (well, it has whole subforum), not MA and not CSF. So if their social medias team should bring something to forums, it should be one of the more established existing channels.

As for linking to shorts feeds on sidepanel or somewhere else, like as thread on LTT Official hub, quite possible.

Yeah the one I link feels like they made it specifically to be a short in it's own right.  I mean I see almost all their videos and I don't recall seeing this office space gag in one.  

SO like maybe just the shorts that are specifically made for shorts and aren't just clips of full length videos. 

20 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Yeah the one I link feels like they made it specifically to be a short in it's own right.  I mean I see almost all their videos and I don't recall seeing this office space gag in one.  

SO like maybe just the shorts that are specifically made for shorts and aren't just clips of full length videos. 

Whats there's to discuss on that example that it would require its own thread? And not be discussed as existing threads such as the two big ones about the hack and its ripple effect.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Whats there's to discuss on that example that it would require its own thread? And not be discussed as existing threads such as the two big ones about the hack and its ripple effect.

The suggestion to post shorts like this one the way they do full length videos is ... a forum suggestion.  That has nothing really to do with the content of this particularly good short. A good purpose made short about some other topic could easily be an example. 

The content of this particular short, regarding the hackening and how the infected file got in is separate from that.  

2 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

The suggestion to post shorts like this one the way they do full length videos is ... a forum suggestion.  That has nothing really to do with the content of this particularly good short. A good purpose made short about some other topic could easily be an example. 

The content of this particular short, regarding the hackening and how the infected file got in is separate from that.  

That's my point. There's very little point to make threads about something that doesn't spun up conversation. Hence me asking what there is to talk about this that isn't covered by existing threads.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

That's my point. There's very little point to make threads about something that doesn't spun up conversation. Hence me asking what there is to talk about this that isn't covered by existing threads.

Really?  I kinda see that.  Posted a suggestion here because you know why would a suggestion need to be much of a discussion. 

While the content of this short is a different topic.  The security of finding random storage devices and using them.  Since if I understand what Luke said the file that got them hacked didn't so much come in on an email.  It was on that specific SSD.  The installed it on a computer, opened it, and whamo.    Thought that might be an interesting topic.  I mean really there are so many stories like this of people picking up say a USB and getting hacked by files on that.  Most people are not swapping around NVME's .... but a patient hacker could compromise them then wait. 

I see two interesting things.  Not everything interesting here needs to be about GPU's and gadgets. 🙂   It can instead relate to issues around said gadgets and gizmos. 

1 hour ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Since if I understand what Luke said the file that got them hacked didn't so much come in on an email.  It was on that specific SSD.  The installed it on a computer, opened it, and whamo.    Thought that might be an interesting topic.  I mean really there are so many stories like this of people picking up say a USB and getting hacked by files on that.  Most people are not swapping around NVME's .... but a patient hacker could compromise them then wait.

That's not what happened.

The virus was sent via email. An employee downloaded and opened the file to their computer. The virus infected the computer. It was on that specific SSD because that was the drive used in the computer that the employee downloaded the virus to and which was infected. 

As for your suggestion; It's up to LMG and the writing staff which videos they post official discussion threads to. They currently only post discussions for main LTT videos (not livestreams or shorts). Edit: and Techlinked videos. 

If there's something about any of their channels or videos you would like to discuss that doesn't have an official discussion thread then feel free to create a post in general discussion. You could also discuss it in the comments on the YouTube video. 

If you would like to continue the discussion around the circumstances of the channel hack please continue in the existing discussion thread. 

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Really?  I kinda see that.  Posted a suggestion here because you know why would a suggestion need to be much of a discussion. 

Posting topics is up to LMG, not moderators or forum staff. I'm just trying to find if its just "hey this would be fun" or "hey here's something to improve" type of suggestion. For me, its looks more like former than latter.

While the content of this short is a different topic.  The security of finding random storage devices and using them.  Since if I understand what Luke said the file that got them hacked didn't so much come in on an email.  It was on that specific SSD.  The installed it on a computer, opened it, and whamo.    Thought that might be an interesting topic.  I mean really there are so many stories like this of people picking up say a USB and getting hacked by files on that.  Most people are not swapping around NVME's .... but a patient hacker could compromise them then wait. 

I think you misunderstood the content of that short. Imo its just goof about smashing drive while actual file might have been dealt with ages ago. Possibly even sent to Bitdefender (who have sponsored LMG in past) for checking out.

I see two interesting things.  Not everything interesting here needs to be about GPU's and gadgets. 🙂   It can instead relate to issues around said gadgets and gizmos. 

I didn't say such. I asked whether posting shorts as topics would bring up conversation.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Posting topics is up to LMG, not moderators or forum staff. I'm just trying to find if its just "hey this would be fun" or "hey here's something to improve" type of suggestion. For me, its looks more like former than latter.

Yeah basically  It just feels like comments on Shorts on YT itself are a waste.  VS comments here are much more interesting.  

I think you misunderstood the content of that short. Imo its just goof about smashing drive while actual file might have been dealt with ages ago. Possibly even sent to Bitdefender (who have sponsored LMG in past) for checking out.

I didn't say such. I asked whether posting shorts as topics would bring up conversation.

Sorry.  I misunderstood.  

It would make sense if they did that.  In a thread here ... they might tell us.

11 hours ago, Spotty said:

That's not what happened.

The virus was sent via email. An employee downloaded and opened the file to their computer. The virus infected the computer. It was on that specific SSD because that was the drive used in the computer that the employee downloaded the virus to and which was infected

That was what I thought.  The short made it seem like ...it was a sort of Stuxnet situation.  Perhaps by accident.  

As for your suggestion; It's up to LMG and the writing staff which videos they post official discussion threads to. They currently only post discussions for main LTT videos (not livestreams or shorts). Edit: and Techlinked videos. 

If there's something about any of their channels or videos you would like to discuss that doesn't have an official discussion thread then feel free to create a post in general discussion. You could also discuss it in the comments on the YouTube video. 

Thats why it's a suggestion for them to do that with shorts which seem to have been made to be shorts 🙂 .  They even posted this one on IG.  Put a lot of thought into it... and I think it was great.  They should do it more often. 

If you would like to continue the discussion around the circumstances of the channel hack please continue in the existing discussion thread. 

Will do. 

On 4/14/2023 at 8:42 PM, Uttamattamakin said:

Thoughts anyone?  

Amazing that a file could perhaps just be sitting on a "disk" ... storage device like an unexploded mine for however long and just do this.   It makes me want to consider installing Qubes or another super secure OS to open any file I don't 110% know... or what plug every device you buy / find after being unsed for a time into a sacrificial system first?   Could've happened to any reasonable technically savvy user.  IMHO  (Sorry in advance if this should be in the old mega thread ... wasn't sure if I should necro it for this.)

I mean at what point can you consider an unknown piece of malware "safe"? Until you directly analyze your specific copy you just know it's a variant of existing, likely, Redline stealer, not its' specific capabilities. How do you know that this copy doesn't have the ability to embed itself into the UEFI using recent exploits? How do you know that it's not using the user hash to send copies across the local network? What if it's actually a RAT and the first payload you actually found just happened to be Redline and you missed the root cause entirely.

At what point do we just burn the entire IT infrastructure down and start over?
burn-elmo.gif.9406279ac7e319b295b1e59d9efa123c.gif

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

shorts are cringe dumb and LTT contnt makes no sense to be in shorts format.
Youtube is forcing creators to do shorts with some constraints or they will literally derate the whole channel as punishment.

Most creators just upload random bullshit once a week as a short and move on.
LTT is most likely doing that approach so why would they care about advertising it. You cant even get sponsors for a short because segments are not allowed.

1 hour ago, OhYou_ said:

Youtube is forcing creators to do shorts with some constraints or they will literally derate the whole channel as punishment.

LTT is most likely doing that approach so why would they care about advertising it. You cant even get sponsors for a short because segments are not allowed.

LMG uses them in same way they already do content to other social media platforms. They have their place in the multiplatform-verse, like it or not.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, OhYou_ said:

From listening to other creators if you make shorts the algorithm will reward you with more views on your long form content.   More views on the long form content makes it more valuable for sponsors.  Plus it is a sad fact that many people want short form videos for the same reason they want tweets instead of long blogs.