Build update complete, tested, and confirmed: RTX 4090 working well with 850w PSU

Zberg

Attempting to squeeze the remaining life and power out of this platform without changing too much.  For 4k Gaming.  Figured with a 4090 I could get my last true 'just swap the GPU' in before the CPU and PSU get outpaced by future cards and I need a new platform.  With the loop in place, I really didnt want to take everything apart and start over (and theres no time to, as a new kid came in January!)

Old system:

z390 Aorus Master + 9900k OC'd to 5.0 Ghz

Custom loop with 360 thick-rad and + 280 rad

850w EVGA supernova Gold PSU

Corsair 3000 mHz, CL15 memory

RTX 3090 on an EK block

Updates:

- Drained the loop, did maintenance, cleaned out dust from rads/fans/filters, etc

- Took out all the old power cables to GPU and subbed in the single Cablemod 12v -> 3xPCIE cable, which is nice and clean (much better than stock 4090 adapter)

- Upgraded memory to corsair 3600 mHz, CL16 memory (honestly because it was so cheap, and instant swap)

- Re-pasted the CPU block, because, what the hell we are already up in there, and it only takes <5 min with flexible tubing vs hard

- Swapped in an MSI gaming X trio 4090 on an EK block (just the passive backplate version, not active)

Testing:

I let it run heaven for 30 min, and time spy for 30 min, and got the same results.  No power failures, no black/blue screens, smooth operation.  Kept CPU overclocked to 5.0 Ghz, kept 4090 at stock.  

Temp maxed out at 53 C on the GPU.  

Overall, very happy with the upgrade, and I think this will be the final form for this PC/platform.  Built it back in 2018, and has been a really solid system to have as a base, that has been home to multiple GPU's (2080, 2080ti, 3090, now 4090), without needing to swap out the case, cooling, mobo, CPU, or PSU.  About as 'future proof' as a guy could ask for nowadays, as it should last me from 2018 until whenever the 4090 gets replaced 🙂 

IMG_3509.thumb.jpg.c87de4544e10cd251bd490b1787bf6a7.jpg

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

4 minutes ago, Zberg said:

has been home to multiple GPU's (2080, 2080ti, 3090, now 4090)

Did you buy all of those new?

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

2 minutes ago, Bismut said:

Did you buy all of those new?

Ya.  I upgrade and then as soon as I have it I sell the old one on ebay.  Depending on how the GPU market is,  I get back a large amount of what I spent on it.  Probably the best I ever got was on the 2080 and 2080ti.  Market got so tight I got 90% of what I spent on those because GPU's were so scarce.  The 3090 I will probably get 50-60% of what I spent based on ebay pricing today, so that one is the worst resale, but the 2080 and 2080ti I got to use for free almost.

12 minutes ago, Zberg said:

Attempting to squeeze the remaining life and power out of this platform without changing too much.  For 4k Gaming.  Figured with a 4090 I could get my last true 'just swap the GPU' in before the CPU and PSU get outpaced by future cards and I need a new platform.  With the loop in place, I really didnt want to take everything apart and start over (and theres no time to, as a new kid came in January!)

Old system:

z390 Aorus Master + 9900k OC'd to 5.0 Ghz

Custom loop with 360 thick-rad and + 280 rad

850w EVGA supernova Gold PSU

Corsair 3000 mHz, CL15 memory

RTX 3090 on an EK block

Updates:

- Drained the loop, did maintenance, cleaned out dust from rads/fans/filters, etc

- Took out all the old power cables to GPU and subbed in the single Cablemod 12v -> 3xPCIE cable, which is nice and clean (much better than stock 4090 adapter)

- Upgraded memory to corsair 3600 mHz, CL16 memory (honestly because it was so cheap, and instant swap)

- Re-pasted the CPU block, because, what the hell we are already up in there, and it only takes <5 min with flexible tubing vs hard

- Swapped in an MSI gaming X trio 4090 on an EK block (just the passive backplate version, not active)

Testing:

I let it run heaven for 30 min, and time spy for 30 min, and got the same results.  No power failures, no black/blue screens, smooth operation.  Kept CPU overclocked to 5.0 Ghz, kept 4090 at stock.  

Temp maxed out at 53 C on the GPU.  

Overall, very happy with the upgrade, and I think this will be the final form for this PC/platform.  Built it back in 2018, and has been a really solid system to have as a base, that has been home to multiple GPU's (2080, 2080ti, 3090, now 4090), without needing to swap out the case, cooling, mobo, CPU, or PSU.  About as 'future proof' as a guy could ask for nowadays, as it should last me from 2018 until whenever the 4090 gets replaced 🙂 

IMG_3509.thumb.jpg.c87de4544e10cd251bd490b1787bf6a7.jpg

If you're not OCing the 4090, then I'd expect your gaming load to be around 550W. The RTX 4090 has an incredibly stable power draw, unlike the RX 6000 and RTX 3000 series, something Igor's lab did extensive testing on. It basically doesn't peak to 200% TDP like those previous generation cards, so you can expect a minimum recommended PSU to not trip on OC.

I'd personally just never dial up the TDP meter, but as I say that, my buddy runs a 5600x and RTX 4090 on a Seasonic 850W and has ran a 133% TDP +3GHz OC on it since day 1. I did the same on my RM1000x until I got this Seasonic GX-1200.

Internally adapted 12VHPWR is almost as good as native 12VHPWR, but both are miles better than the silly included adapter. 12VHPWR is definitely worth it and plugging in 3x8pin to a GPU feels disgusting afterwards (speaking from experience with my 6900 XT secondary rig).

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

28 minutes ago, Zberg said:

I get back a large amount of what I spent on it.  Probably the best I ever got was on the 2080 and 2080ti.  Market got so tight I got 90% of what I spent on those because GPU's were so scarce.

That I can see, especially as someone that wanted to upgrade around that time. Wouldn't be worth the loss to me, I am happy knowing that you're a source of cheaper GPUs for people and happy with your upgrades.

Trans Rights!

53 minutes ago, Bismut said:

That I can see, especially as someone that wanted to upgrade around that time. Wouldn't be worth the loss to me, I am happy knowing that you're a source of cheaper GPUs for people and happy with your upgrades.

Yup!  And I take fantastic care of my GPU's, I dont charge a crazy amount or scalp people, and they ship well packaged and safe.  Really its pretty great for the used market (*self back pat*)

"Wouldn't be worth the loss to me"

The 3090 is a much better deal than those other two were, and will be a good get for whoever ends up with it 🙂 

15 hours ago, Zberg said:

"Wouldn't be worth the loss to me"

Yeah, I had a GTX 970 before I upgraded to a 6600XT. I'm pretty cheap, loosing like 40€ on a card I used for about three years is on my mind (not painfully so, but it is).

Trans Rights!

3 hours ago, Bismut said:

Yeah, I had a GTX 970 before I upgraded to a 6600XT. I'm pretty cheap, loosing like 40€ on a card I used for about three years is on my mind (not painfully so, but it is).

Respect.  I had a GTX 760 in a i5 4000-series (if memory servers me, was a prebuilt from ibuypower) rig as my daily driver for YEARS before I went ham (and finally had the money to do so), and that first upgrade I ever made was a GTX 970, which was a fantastic card, and let me keep that rig going until 2018.  I think that prebuilt lasted me 5 years?  Then I got the PC modding bug...

19 minutes ago, Zberg said:

Respect.  I had a GTX 760 in a i5 4000-series (if memory servers me, was a prebuilt from ibuypower) rig as my daily driver for YEARS before I went ham (and finally had the money to do so), and that first upgrade I ever made was a GTX 970, which was a fantastic card, and let me keep that rig going until 2018.  I think that prebuilt lasted me 5 years?  Then I got the PC modding bug...

I started with a Q6600 Dell Prebuilt, put a GTX 750Ti in it and used it for about a year before upgrading to an ATX rig and OCing the CPU, which is what really got me started. Lots of upgrades since then, including watercooling. It most certainly is a fun hobby.

Trans Rights!

-Moved to Build Logs-

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25