PC makes strange noises, may be coilwire

Aljosha

Hello there,
I found existing topics on coil wire noices, however I think this is a very individual problem, hence im making a new topic.
My PC is making several strange noises.
The first noise is a quiet, almost rhythmic "click" that is somewhat reminiscent of an HDD or a glass of sparkling water. It can be heard almost constantly, both in Windows 11 and in Linux. However, it is not noticeable when being in the bios.
I have deactivated all fans and also the AIO and the graphics card fans for a short time, but could not find a source for the noise.

The second noise is much louder and sounds like a "hiss". It occurs when the GPU is under load. It is very prominent as soon as I render something in Unity or even when I rotate the camera in the editor with the middle mouse wheel in an empty scene. The CPU then also goes to full load, at least half of the cores, and a frequency of up to 5400 MHz is reached. As soon as the middle mouse wheel is released, the noise immediately disappears. The noise does not occur during pure CPU stress tests. The noise with Unity can only be heard under Windows 11, but not under Ubuntu.

I have an audio recording of the problem here. At the beginning only the quiet "clicking" can be heard ("idle"), then the louder hissing can be heard (during Unity) and at the end the PC can be heard during a Cinebench CPU benchmark.
I also have a few screenshots of how the PC behaves during these tasks.

My hardware (apart from the graphics card) was bought new in December 2022. There are additional SSds installed, but no HDDs and no DVD drive or anything like that.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fXw8wc

I hope someone here can help me.

During Unity:

unity.png

During Cinebench:

cinebench.png

Sounds like coil whine to me yes.

You can aleviate this by limiting your FPS to about 5 below the monitor's refresh rate (so you are firmly within freesync range if you use AMD), it should also help with temps. Another thing you could try is possibly undervolt the GPU too.

Edit: make sure that any competitive games you are playing don't get the FPS limit as it will increase latency if you care about it that much.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

1 hour ago, Aljosha said:

Hello there,
I found existing topics on coil wire noices, however I think this is a very individual problem, hence im making a new topic.
My PC is making several strange noises.
The first noise is a quiet, almost rhythmic "click" that is somewhat reminiscent of an HDD or a glass of sparkling water. It can be heard almost constantly, both in Windows 11 and in Linux. However, it is not noticeable when being in the bios.
I have deactivated all fans and also the AIO and the graphics card fans for a short time, but could not find a source for the noise.

The second noise is much louder and sounds like a "hiss". It occurs when the GPU is under load. It is very prominent as soon as I render something in Unity or even when I rotate the camera in the editor with the middle mouse wheel in an empty scene. The CPU then also goes to full load, at least half of the cores, and a frequency of up to 5400 MHz is reached. As soon as the middle mouse wheel is released, the noise immediately disappears. The noise does not occur during pure CPU stress tests. The noise with Unity can only be heard under Windows 11, but not under Ubuntu.

I have an audio recording of the problem here. At the beginning only the quiet "clicking" can be heard ("idle"), then the louder hissing can be heard (during Unity) and at the end the PC can be heard during a Cinebench CPU benchmark.
I also have a few screenshots of how the PC behaves during these tasks.

My hardware (apart from the graphics card) was bought new in December 2022. There are additional SSds installed, but no HDDs and no DVD drive or anything like that.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fXw8wc

I hope someone here can help me.

During Unity:

unity.png

During Cinebench:

cinebench.png

Coil whine can even come from the PSU, happens to me under heavy gaming loads at +400 fps.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017