Need advice to upgrading homenetwork from cable to fiber

motomat86
Go to solution Solved by Lurick,
2 minutes ago, motomat86 said:

Thanks for the response!

So If I treat the ISP Modem all in one as a "modem", and connect a 5Gb+ switch to one of the LAN ports on it (assuming I get maybe 4?)  and then just hardwire some access points for wifi throughout?   If my motherboard (z690 a-gaming) is a 2.5Gb Port, I would need a new networking card as well I assume?

You want to use the ISP all in one as a modem and router, disable wifi only. Then you can add a switch or two with NBase-T capable ports and you'll be set plus APs where needed. NBase-T supports 1/2.5/5/10

So my middle of nowhere town made municipal broadband an option and I am going to make the switch this month.   I currently have broadband cable 1Gb down 50Mb up through a private company, but want to switch to the 5Gb up/down fiber plan through my township.  So, I need a whole new network setup I assume.  Im assuming they provide the all-in-one wifi/router, but I will have to get a 5Gb network card for each pc that would want the extra bandwidth?  Also if a 1Gb switch is in the chain, anything plugged into that switch would be limited to 1Gb?   I tried looking for a 5Gb all in one router (I currently have a Netgear XR1000 as the router/wifi and a Netgear R8000P as an Access Point)  but I came up empty on newegg and amazon (I did find some 2.5Gb routers).  Am I going to need some prosumer grade stuff at these speeds or would my ISP have something and just let me buy it off them?

Thanks for any help and advice on setup/equipment.  

TLDR:  I want 5Gb throughout my property, need new stuff, plz help

internetplan.jpg

Just stick with 1Gb, save your money.

If you want to be able to use 5Gbps at each host you need Cat6 wiring throughout the property, as well as 10Gb switch.

Depending on number of ports and PoE requirements, managed or unmanaged, etc... these puppies can get pricy

11 minutes ago, motomat86 said:

I tried looking for a 5Gb all in one router (I currently have a Netgear XR1000 as the router/wifi and a Netgear R8000P as an Access Point)  but I came up empty

Peep this. But yeah, 5 gigabit is just overkill for most usage unless if you do need the massive download pipeline for leeching [REDACTED] or similar.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

5 minutes ago, PyCCo_TyPuCTo said:

Just stick with 1Gb, save your money.

If you want to be able to use 5Gbps at each host you need Cat6 wiring throughout the property, as well as 10Gb switch.

Depending on number of ports and PoE requirements, managed or unmanaged, etc... these puppies can get pricy

thank you for the response!

So its not that much of an issue, just replace anything that is limited (cables/switches) am I stuck using the ISP's all in one router then?  I guess that was my biggest issue with the switch

5 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Peep this. But yeah, 5 gigabit is just overkill for most usage unless if you do need the massive download pipeline for leeching [REDACTED] or similar.

Not 5Gbit, Asus is super super super light on specs but I'm going to wager its 1/10g and doesn't support NBase-T (2.5 and 5 gig) on the one copper port. Might as well just use what the ISP provides and add your own NBase-T switch

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

When I was looking at 10Gb routers, one thing that came up is the 10Gb needed to be 5Gb compatible or it would auto drop to 1Gb if it was not a 10Gb connection, this is where I was getting a bit lost in the sea of home networking and needed some advise.  But I would get this router for sure, how would I determine if it was 5Gb compatible?  

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Not 5Gbit, Asus is super super super light on specs but I'm going to wager its 1/10g and doesn't support NBase-T (2.5 and 5 gig) on the one copper port. Might as well just use what the ISP provides and add your own NBase-T switch

Thanks for the response!

So If I treat the ISP Modem all in one as a "modem", and connect a 5Gb+ switch to one of the LAN ports on it (assuming I get maybe 4?)  and then just hardwire some access points for wifi throughout?   If my motherboard (z690 a-gaming) is a 2.5Gb Port, I would need a new networking card as well I assume?

2 minutes ago, motomat86 said:

Thanks for the response!

You want to use the ISP all in one as a modem and router, disable wifi only. Then you can add a switch or two with NBase-T capable ports and you'll be set plus APs where needed. NBase-T supports 1/2.5/5/10

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 hours ago, motomat86 said:

am I stuck using the ISP's all in one router then?

Most likely. Some ISP's will provide a media converter and you can use any router you want. Some only provide a gateway (media converter/router). AT&T is one of those providers who only provides a combo unit, BUT you can put their gateway in IP pass thru mode if you want to use your own router. Otherwise you can do as stated above and just disable the WiFi and use an AP. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.