Help Powering The TUF 4090

LordVooz

The Tuf 4090 is powered by a connector that splits into 4x 8 Pin Pcie Connections. 

My power supply is 1200W so there shouldn’t be issues on that side, but it came with 2x Dual 6+2 Pcie Cables, meaning I could fully connect the card with 2 cables. Is this likely to cause any issues with the capacity of these cables? Should I instead only use one of the Dual 6+2 Cables and then 2 individual 6+2 Cables to spread the load better? 

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated 

3 minutes ago, LordVooz said:

The Tuf 4090 is powered by a connector that splits into 4x 8 Pin Pcie Connections. 

My power supply is 1200W so there shouldn’t be issues on that side, but it came with 2x Dual 6+2 Pcie Cables, meaning I could fully connect the card with 2 cables. Is this likely to cause any issues with the capacity of these cables? Should I instead only use one of the Dual 6+2 Cables and then 2 individual 6+2 Cables to spread the load better? 

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated 

Mostly depends on what PSU you're talking about. Now every 1200W is equal, some can't reliably supply up to 600W through two 8 pins (technically). Most newer PSUs can supply basically 4x8pin through two connectors, but I wouldn't trust all of them.

I ran my RTX 4090 off just two daisy chained 8 pins like you for weeks, ended up just adding a 3rd cable until I got a native 12VHPWR PSU. Native PCIe 5.0 is definitely the way to go IMO. First party internally adapted cables like Corsair's, Seasonic's, are basically just as good though.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

it doesn't really matter for you to spread the load. internally to the powersupply it's all one rail. it can make a difference on the heat of the cables/connectors a bit but the card pulls 450W so it's not really anywhere near the maximum load of all those connectors.

honestly for bulk reasons i'd go buy the 12pin adaptor for your powersupply and not use the 4x 8pin to 12pin bs.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

13 minutes ago, Agall said:

Mostly depends on what PSU you're talking about. Now every 1200W is equal, some can't reliably supply up to 600W through two 8 pins (technically). Most newer PSUs can supply basically 4x8pin through two connectors, but I wouldn't trust all of them.

I ran my RTX 4090 off just two daisy chained 8 pins like you for weeks, ended up just adding a 3rd cable until I got a native 12VHPWR PSU. Native PCIe 5.0 is definitely the way to go IMO.

The power supply I have is a Thor 1200W 80+ Platinum, not sure how much product knowledge you have on it, as to any insight on if it could cope? But thinking it might be worth adding the 3rd cable just to be on the safe side.

20 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

it doesn't really matter for you to spread the load. internally to the powersupply it's all one rail. it can make a difference on the heat of the cables/connectors a bit but the card pulls 450W so it's not really anywhere near the maximum load of all those connectors.

honestly for bulk reasons i'd go buy the 12pin adaptor for your powersupply and not use the 4x 8pin to 12pin bs.

Yeah it’s certainly a cable management nightmare having the 4 8pins to deal with. Appreciate the suggestion and the advice

5 minutes ago, LordVooz said:

Yeah it’s certainly a cable management nightmare having the 4 8pins to deal with. Appreciate the suggestion and the advice

yeah that ROG PSU is 100A on 12V single rail. but i have no clue if they made a cable you can buy like corsair did.....

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

14 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

yeah that ROG PSU is 100A on 12V single rail. but i have no clue if they made a cable you can buy like corsair did.....

@LordVooz  But CableMod certainly does in both 3 x PCIE & 4 x PCIE variants (ASUS RT series). I have the TUF 4090 OC on a Corsair AX1200i using a CableMod Corsair Type-4 native 12VHPWR to 4 x PCIE cable.

6 hours ago, LordVooz said:

Anything but native 12VHPWR is a nightmare to me now.

6 hours ago, LordVooz said:

1st party adapters are great, and Asus doesn't seem to have one. There's only a few companies who not only created an adapter cable but also have native ATX3.0/PCIe5.0 PSUs *cough Seasonic cough* and the advantage is really there. 

Looks like Cablemod's RT series of conversion cables do work. I had a bad experience with mine which luckily didn't kill any hardware, but they shipped me a defective cable that I had to get refunded. I was one of the first preorders when they announced it, so I assume their QA is better and that one of their highly paid workers just accidentally mixed up a cable. If it boots and also works under load, then it should be fine. Mine worked on boot but would flick the PSU off after ~5mins under a heavy GPU load.

Either 1st part adapter cables or a native PSU are the way, but a bunch of Cablemod cables are out there now so I doubt its common to have the issues I had.

The right angle adapters and such are nice and all, but there's nothing stopping these companies from just making integrally right angle 1:1 12VHPWR cables since its a standard cable. Mine goes out the side and loops around the end of the card in my Fractal North, so its not interfering with either the intake or exhaust of the card which is nice.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Cablemod now have cool hard 90° and 180° angle adapters. You should check them out.

https://store.cablemod.com/product-category/12vhpwr/

And once you choose the right one for you, you can combine it with 

https://store.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-rt-series-pro-modflex-sleeved-12vhpwr-pci-e-cable-for-asus-and-seasonic/

There is all the options you need. Personally i would go 16-pin to 4x 8-pin and just so i can spread the load as much as possible.

I know it's insane that you need to spend another $50-$100 on your GPU cables when you already spent $2000 on it, but that's the world we live in. I still hardly believe that myself.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |