Add a bright LED to case

vasocreta1

So, I will admit off the bat that I am not that good with electricity, but I am a quick study.
I am trying to mount a single, bright LED to my case to make a specific area light up.
I have a star shaped cut out in my side panel that I created and am wanting to put an opaque piece of plastic over it and light it up from behind.
I've attached a pic of my case so you can get an idea of what the cut out looks like.
I'm not very interested in a whole strip of lights. But I am not finding any really clear tutorials on how I would wire up a single LED (something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Prewired-Surface-Mount-LEDs-5050/dp/B01ENC1S3I/ref=asc_df_B01ENC1Q1C/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242042684287&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16114105855133304820&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010604&hvtargid=pla-699562760807&th=1 ) so that I can plug it into an empty RGB header on my mobo.

Any of you ever do anything like this? If so, do you have any tips or points toward resources that you found helpful?

PXL_20230328_202059995.jpg

If its a modern motherboard with a 4 pin rgb header,Id just buy some rgb strips and use those for your lighting.

5 minutes ago, andrewmp6 said:

If its a modern motherboard with a 4 pin rgb header,Id just buy some rgb strips and use those for your lighting.

Yeah, I considered that. I was just trying no to "waste" a whole strip since I won't be able to see anything other that one lit area.
But this may be the way I have to go if I can't figure anything else out.

10 hours ago, vasocreta1 said:

Why would you plug it into RGB header? I mean the LED you linked is single color (Neutral White) 😀.
You just need +12V and GND to make that one work, you don't need to worry about forward voltage and current limiting.

So buy a molex cable extender (or sata power extender) and chop of the end (you only need 12V and one GND, put electrical tape over the 2nd GND and 5V):
image.png.f1cfbdc5e751caa241c682b62fd33857.png

12V is only available while the PC is on, so when you shut down your PC the LED will also shut down.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet