Add option to set global font

LloydLynx

Every April fools, the forum gets changed to Comic Sans and a handful of people legitimately prefer it. Then debates start about changing the forum font for easier readability. One person might find Sans most readable, others Serif. And some just like Comic Sans. I personally most like monospace.

I suggest we have the option to change our global font to one of the available fonts in the editor box. Like put the option in Account Settings(or anywhere better fit). Of course when a post explicitly sets a font for text, that overrides the global font, just as it works now. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

31 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

There's loads of browser extensions that can do this on a site by site basis, rather than it needing to be an option on the site itself

That only applies for the big browsers with massive extension availability. Your argument works the same for light and dark mode, yet the forum has that feature built in. I don't think a global font selection would be too big of a development effort with it being a pretty simple thing in CSS. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

4 hours ago, LloydLynx said:

That only applies for the big browsers with massive extension availability. Your argument works the same for light and dark mode, yet the forum has that feature built in. I don't think a global font selection would be too big of a development effort with it being a pretty simple thing in CSS. 

It is less simple than that, because right now there is no infrastructure for storing user-specific preferences like that, beyond the top level theme (and I don't want a combinatorial explosion of themes in the picker - that should stay just as day/night).

HTTP/2 203

On 4/2/2023 at 11:45 AM, colonel_mortis said:

It is less simple than that, because right now there is no infrastructure for storing user-specific preferences like that, beyond the top level theme (and I don't want a combinatorial explosion of themes in the picker - that should stay just as day/night).

How is it that the number of user-accessible layout options on this - otherwise so feature-rich forum platform - is so limited? Things like setting the maximum width and number of replies per page are sth that is easily changed on much "simpler" forum platforms.