Need advice with changing aaa batteries to li-on on my mouse

Itsmadxme

Im getting sick of use of aaa batteries on my mouse (Xiaomi – Mi Dual Mode Wireless Mouse Silent Edition)

I found a mod for on YouTube for logitech g304 that kinda solves the problem in correct way without any damage for ciruit and its work(there were comment was somehow talked about this (1pic attached)) and with proper components (i think 😕 😞

But issue i get here is that logi's mouse required aa battery with total 1.5v, and my mice is using 2 aaa batteries with total 3v in use. So there i have questions:

1) Is it ok to built mod my self as same as it goes in video to my mouse? 

2) if its not, what i need to change in the scheme( mby resistor with different ohm, or some dc convertor)

I don't have much knowledge in electronics so i didnt understand how to proper get right components', but I'm able to build/make things as it sayd by whomd 🙂

And i think this topic is in wrong thread, so if it is where i need to copy this topic?

Many thanks!

S30401-22520623.png

12 minutes ago, Itsmadxme said:

Im getting sick of use of aaa batteries on my mouse (Xiaomi – Mi Dual Mode Wireless Mouse Silent Edition)

I found a mod for on YouTube for logitech g304 that kinda solves the problem in correct way without any damage for ciruit and its work(there were comment was somehow talked about this (1pic attached)) and with proper components (i think 😕 😞

But issue i get here is that logi's mouse required aa battery with total 1.5v, and my mice is using 2 aa batteries with total 3v in use. So there i have questions:

1) Is it ok to built mod my self as same as it goes in video to my mouse? 

2) if its not, what i need to change in the scheme( mby resistor with different ohm, or some dc convertor)

I don't have much knowledge in electronics so i didnt understand how to proper get right components', but I'm able to build/make things as it sayd by whomd 🙂

And i think this topic is in wrong thread, so if it is where i need to copy this topic?

Many thanks!

S30401-22520623.png

Just buy a rechargable AA batteries ?

Or if you want the mouse to be lighter in weight, buy a rechargable AAA battery & an AAA to AA battery adapter. Like what I did.

Example :

Normal Type :

https://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Battery-Charger-Batteries-batteries/dp/B000FGGG34/ref=sr_1_30?crid=15YK6HWXUSPD3&keywords=rechargeable+aa+battery&qid=1680368653&sprefix=rechargable+aa+battery%2Caps%2C305&sr=8-30

Type that charge battery directly using micro-usb / type-c cable :

https://www.amazon.com/TEMIBATT-1-5V-Rechargeable-Batteries-Charging/dp/B08SKBJVNG/ref=sr_1_36?crid=1SVO3P7BPZZOZ&keywords=rechargeable+aa+battery+micro+usb&qid=1680368714&sprefix=rechargable+aa+battery+micro+usb%2Caps%2C309&sr=8-36

AAA to AA adapter :

https://www.amazon.com/LAMPVPATH-Battery-Adapter-Converter-adapter/dp/B07D6RDQ3S/ref=sr_1_3?crid=28IEQQ0EW9FAH&keywords=AAA+to+AA&qid=1680368786&sprefix=aaa+to+a%2Caps%2C309&sr=8-3

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

I've been using wireless mice for years (I have two G305). Just use rechargable batteries, get twice the amount you use and cycle between them. I find 2 AA batteries to be overkill but hope that translates to good battery life.

16 minutes ago, Itsmadxme said:

and my mice is using 2 aa batteries with total 3v in use

Check if this is true before doing anything. Many wireless mice use two batteries in parrellel, to provide 1.5 V at a higher capacity.

You'll definitely want to do some reading on electronics before attempting this.

Agreed with others that the real answer here is rechargeable AA cells.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

The battery life for wireless mice is months so wireless charging is really just a gimmick rather than an actual quality of life improvement. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

6 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

The battery life for wireless mice is months so wireless charging is really just a gimmick rather than an actually quality of life improvement. 

I have to add :

And rather annoying when you need to bring the mouse to somewhere else that doesn't have wireless charging pad embedded too <_<

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

9 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

The battery life for wireless mice is months so wireless charging is really just a gimmick rather than an actually quality of life improvement. 

And those are for high poll rate optical mouse like Orochi and G305, ive seen lots of logitech m wireless mice never have its battery replaced ever. Unless if OP consistently uses it 24/7 or Xiaomi has a bad sleep algorithm (highly unlikely, its usually the expensive MCU that skimps on sleep schedule for its wireless protocol), i think this is more of a pet peeve than legitimate problem.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

A fully charged lithium battery will have a voltage up to around 4.2v - As it discharges, the voltage will drop relatively fast to around 3.6...3.7v where it's gonna be for most of it's charge, and then the voltage will go down towards 3v.

Your mouse most likely uses 2 batteries in series, as a way to get a higher voltage. With rechargeable alkaline batteries, each battery is 1.2v ... 1.35v, and a full discharged battery will have around 1v .. 1.1v 

Non rechargeable alkaline batteries will have a voltage of up to 1.65v when fully charged, but the voltage drops quite fast (within minutes of use) to around 1.5v and then as the battery discharges, voltage will go down towards 1v threshold.

So if your mouse uses 2 batteries in series, you can probably safely assume that it was designed to work with 2.4v ... 3.3v range.

You could use a switching regulator IC to convert your battery voltage down to this range, but at the low power amount a mouse consumes such regulators won't be much more efficient than a basic linear regulator.

A linear regulator throws out the difference between input voltage and output voltage as heat, while a dc-dc converter is more efficient but uses some power to do the conversion.

So for example, a linear regulator converts 4.2v to 3v with an efficiency of 71%  (3v / 4.2v) so if mouse consumes 10mA  the solution would consume 4.2v x 0.01 = 42mW

A dc-dc converter circuit may convert 4.2v to 3v with an efficiency of 90% but consume 3mA to do that, so the total power would be  (3v x 0.01) * 100/90 + 4.2x0.003 = 0.046  or 46 mW

SO yeah, get a linear regulator to reduce output of the battery to safe levels. You can get fixed output voltage regulators that output 2.5v or 3v and only need a ceramic capacitor on the output.

Some examples : https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/torex-semiconductor-ltd/XC6210B302MR-G/2138118

image.png.8fe09ef019242412774018a1ceca2e24.png

Vin and CE are connected to battery voltage, Vss is ground (connected to both battery negative and mouse negative input)  Vout goes to mouse positive voltage

another example https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/diodes-incorporated/AP2138N-3-0TRG1/4770631

has just 3 pins, Vin , ground ,Vout ... same deal, a ceramic capacitor at input and output that's all it needs.

For lithium battery use whatever you want that fits the area ... a AAA battery is around 45mm tall, around 10mm in diameter, so you'd be looking at around 40mm tall x 20mm wide x 10mm thick battery max. 

A AAA battery has around 800-1000mAh of charge ... you can get lithium batteries in such dimensions up to maybe 1.2-1.5 Ah so not much more energy

Here's some batteries that would fit inside 2AAA compartment https://www.digikey.com/short/tz85njtz

I would suggest just getting two such batteries, and flip between them, when one is discharged, put the other one in a charger ... you can make a cheap charger with a 1-2$ charger from eBay

For example : https://www.ebay.com/itm/394433185945

Would fully charge one of those batteries in an hour or so.