A fake notification via Edge about a virus found by McAfee

tridy

Hi.

I am getting multiple notifications via Edge in Windows 11 that McAfee (that I do not have on my system) has found 3 or 5 viruses (of that there is a system problem) and which wants me to click on a kolpeb link.

I have no idea how this could get into edge and how it can use edge to show notifications like that.

Doing a full system scan with F-Secure did not find any problems.

I will try cleaning browser cache and cookies, and see if this solves the problem.

image.png.4a77df7d5284a10b764f2bac49d883f0.png

Even though I have English as the main Windows language, I am in Sweden, therefore the malware shows messages in Swedish, I guess.

You got onto a website and then accepted notifications from that website.

Go in edge somewhere in options and remove the permission for that particular website.

On the english version of Edge, it's click on the ... in top right corner, settings, and then I can type "notifications" in the search box on the left side and if you scroll a bit there's a "manage notifications button"

image.thumb.png.38182c12615295463e56de40ea89847b.png

just scareware to make people buy an app they do not need......welcome to microsofts new tactic of edge where they are also now cpoying google to get money from advertising.

tinfoil hat response so feel free to ignore me.

on another note McAfee is in my humble opinion a dammed virus.

Windows defender is perfectly fine and works well enough for 99% of people.

1 minute ago, johnno23 said:

just scareware to make people buy an app they do not need......welcome to microsofts new tactic of edge where they are also now cpoying google to get money from advertising.

tinfoil hat response so feel free to ignore me.

on another note McAfee is in my humble opinion a dammed virus.

Windows defender is perfectly fine and works well enough for 99% of people.

this is not tied to microsoft at all, please go back to your tinfoil hat cave.

on topic:

this is a rather unfortunate downside of how notifications from webpages work. when you visit a website (for example, a news site) it might ask you if it can send you notifications. except.. it's not a given that the website you visit is the domain that asks. a lot of news websites sell that 'notification spot' as a form of advertising income.

so.. you probably accepted notifications from a specific website, and that site sold that slot to a spam company.

what @mariushm said is where you need to be, at the bottom of the screenshot is "all sites". go there, and remove any sites you dont recognise.

Alright, so Edge becomes more of an OS by itself, like ChromeOS or similar. I use Edge for work-related stuff. Maybe I should switch to something else. I do not really like when I need to opt-out by default of things I do not need.

15 minutes ago, mariushm said:

you scroll a bit there's a "manage notifications button"

I am not sure what this is, but I have E-tree in addition to the ones that you showed:

image.png.fc8d75959e2954ca1c35b6cd6b99fe63.png

17 minutes ago, manikyath said:

what @mariushm said is where you need to be, at the bottom of the screenshot is "all sites". go there, and remove any sites you dont recognise.

After I cleaned the cookies, cache, etc,

this is all I have:

image.png.9bb88ba2abda9ac9971300bff2df4c9d.png

it seems like it has calmed down with notifications at this point.

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, tridy said:

After I cleaned the cookies, cache, etc,

this is all I have:

image.png.9bb88ba2abda9ac9971300bff2df4c9d.png

it seems like it has calmed down with notifications at this point.

Thanks!

this is where you need to be, if i recall (been a while since i needed to help someone with this, and edge settings are dense AF...)

edge://settings/content/notifications