Is an Rtx 3080 worth it?

So I’m planning on upgrading from my gtx 1080ti and I don’t know whether I should get a 3070 or a 3080 fe. I have a Ryzen 7 5700X and I am planning on using my system for gaming at mostly 1080p with a 144hz monitor (pretty sure it’s 1080p) but also for creative tasks (content creation). My main reason for an upgrade is primarily for vr (quest 3). So what would be the best bang for buck?

i heard people say that the 3080 is overkill for 1080p, but usually higher end cards last longer and are more future proofed, I also don’t plan on upgrading my pc anymore (unless a component fails fully)

I definitely think a 3080 is overkill for 1080p and something like a 3070 would likely serve you better and save your some money but considering the 4070 should be along soon I'd potentially wait as it's likely to offer far more power for a similar price.

9 minutes ago, X10n1c said:

I definitely think a 3080 is overkill for 1080p and something like a 3070 would likely serve you better and save your some money but considering the 4070 should be along soon I'd potentially wait as it's likely to offer far more power for a similar price.

I only have a 750W power supply however, would a 4070 work with that?

1 minute ago, Tharoon said:

I can also get a 3080 fe that was used for a week for around $400 cad after selling my 1080ti, so I was leaning towards a 3080 in that sense

8 minutes ago, Tharoon said:

Id argue itll work even better as unlike the 3000 series design, 4000 series doesnt need transient power spikes to maintain performance which means more PSU can run it. LTT can run 4090 on as little as 850W without any OCP triggers.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

a 3080 is to much for 1080p. i also think that for the amount you are spending 10 gigs of vram is not going to hold up in the future. i would try and push your budget to a  7900xt if you want performance but realisticly a 6700xt is great and future proofed for 1080p

1 hour ago, X10n1c said:

What about for playing almost all games on high or ultra settings?

It really depends what frames your aiming for...

I have a 3060ti and I'm playing most games on high/ultra with DLSS on balanced and little to no RT and I'm getting 60-70 fps on most of the newest titles on my 1440p ultrawide and 100+ on some of the slightly older stuff, dont get me wrong those framerates can drop with RTX enabled but are generally still very playable

At 1080p I can pretty much max anything I've thrown at it without RT and the 4070 is set to destroy my 3060ti by some margin

2 hours ago, Tharoon said:

i heard people say that the 3080 is overkill for 1080p, but usually higher end cards last longer and are more future proofed

Well any beefier card will last longer so, why not get a 4090 then? Because it's not a great value.

So since we don't have a crystal ball on how long a card will "last" for your needs, might as well just pick the best value for you now.

Figgure out if there are any specific features that are must have from either brand (RTX, DLSS, specific encoders, fast AI processing, etc), and that can guide the brand you pick (AMD if none of those are must haves, or NVIDIA if at least one is must have).

Then pick some games that are the same or similar to what you play, and find benchmarks for them at 1080p on various modern GPUs from the brand you want.

I will just say that as a RTX 3080 owner, it is overkill for 1080p because it is awesome at 1440p Ultra 120+ FPS for vast majority of games.

I can't speak to VR performance, but that may be irrelevant because...

Are you aware that current Quest VR models are standalone and don't need a PC? So what makes you think you'd need to connect a Quest 3 to a PC with a high power GPU?

1 hour ago, NobleGamer said:

Well any beefier card will last longer so, why not get a 4090 then? Because it's not a great value.

So since we don't have a crystal ball on how long a card will "last" for your needs, might as well just pick the best value for you now.

Figgure out if there are any specific features that are must have from either brand (RTX, DLSS, specific encoders, fast AI processing, etc), and that can guide the brand you pick (AMD if none of those are must haves, or NVIDIA if at least one is must have).

Then pick some games that are the same or similar to what you play, and find benchmarks for them at 1080p on various modern GPUs from the brand you want.

I will just say that as a RTX 3080 owner, it is overkill for 1080p because it is awesome at 1440p Ultra 120+ FPS for vast majority of games.

I can't speak to VR performance, but that may be irrelevant because...

Are you aware that current Quest VR models are standalone and don't need a PC? So what makes you think you'd need to connect a Quest 3 to a PC with a high power GPU?

Im getting the meta quest 3 mainly as a pcvr headset, plus by connecting it to a pc, you can actually increase the resolution

Isn’t overkill at all. Barely average at best. 
I used a 3090 on 1080p for mw2019 and it managed to get the same frames as my 1080ti before all the horrible patches that tanked the FPS. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz