CPU temps

Aldonoth

I just finished building my first system, i5 13600kf on a 240 AIO and a 4070 ti, my system runs mostly at around 50'c and same for my GPU, but my CPU although while gaming runs at around 60'c it fluctuates quite a lot (like jumps from 55 to 64 in a second and then to 57 and ive seen it go from 55 to like 70, and its does this all the time even during idle it jumps around like 10'c suddenly and comes back down, like from 34 to 42 and then back down) i was wondering if it is normal or if i have not mounted my AIO heatsink correctly. I know for a fact the pump works and the fans spin too, i tried running cinebench multi core and my temps reach 100'c in like 3-5 seconds. should i worry about this and reseat my heatsink or something?

8 minutes ago, Aldonoth said:

I just finished building my first system, i5 13600kf on a 240 AIO and a 4070 ti, my system runs mostly at around 50'c and same for my GPU, but my CPU although while gaming runs at around 60'c it fluctuates quite a lot (like jumps from 55 to 64 in a second and then to 57 and ive seen it go from 55 to like 70, and its does this all the time even during idle it jumps around like 10'c suddenly and comes back down, like from 34 to 42 and then back down) i was wondering if it is normal or if i have not mounted my AIO heatsink. I know for a fact the pump works and the fans spin too, i tried running cinebench multi core and my temps reach 100'c in like 3-5 seconds. should i worry about this and reseat my heatsink or something?

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Its fine and to be expected behavior. Remember there is always a ramp up time for the cooler and when the temp spikes it compensates.

Yes it needs to ramp up, but to a 100°C?
I personally have OC i7-8700k pretty high so on average gaming 60-70°C but in cinebench 100°C, maybe It's because you OC It pretty high?

Those temps seem a bit high in relation to the temps I've seen with 13th gen gear, but at the same time the board I've got runs relatively low voltage for 13th gen gear. A lot of motherboards run a ton of voltage at stock, much more than what's actually required, and it's very likely that you just need to undervolt your chip slightly to get it more under control. 

15 hours ago, Drakonins said:

Yes it needs to ramp up, but to a 100°C?
I personally have OC i7-8700k pretty high so on average gaming 60-70°C but in cinebench 100°C, maybe It's because you OC It pretty high?

i have no manual OC on anything yet, just finished setting the system up and was testing temps its mostly the jumping of temps that alarms me.

15 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Those temps seem a bit high in relation to the temps I've seen with 13th gen gear, but at the same time the board I've got runs relatively low voltage for 13th gen gear. A lot of motherboards run a ton of voltage at stock, much more than what's actually required, and it's very likely that you just need to undervolt your chip slightly to get it more under control. 

i have XTU open as i speak, how much core voltage offset do you think is a safe bet to start with? i got an MSI z790-p wifi, i think i can undervolt from the bios would that be preferred over XTU since it has to startup the app to apply settings?

2 minutes ago, Aldonoth said:

i have XTU open as i speak, how much core voltage offset do you think is a safe bet to start with?

Depends on the board and chip. I've had 3 different 13th gen chips (long story), one barely did -50mV, and another did -120mV. There's so much variance with these 13th gen chips that you really should just manually do the undervolt. I'd just run a stress test and lower the voltage offset in 10mV increments until it crashes, then raise it till it doesn't crash for about an hour in a stress test. 

29 minutes ago, Aldonoth said:

i got an MSI z790-p wifi, i think i can undervolt from the bios would that be preferred over XTU since it has to startup the app to apply settings?

Yes and no. Yes it's better to do in the long term to do it so XTU doesn't have to be running, but in the short term doing XTU is a heck of a lot faster for this since you don't have to keep rebooting to change settings. The way I usually do stuff like this is get it dialed in roughly with XTU (or more accurately one of the motherboard utilities like Dragon Power or Turbo VCore as I just prefer them to XTU) then copy it over to the BIOS once everything is dialed in to save some time and effort.