Bizarre rebooting/power on behavior

Caboose30

Pretty much since I've gotten this computer put together it's sometimes done this weird thing where when I power it on, it will instantly power off and then back on and boot normally. I nailed this down to (for whatever reason) disabling CSM support. I can even turn it back on and the goofy behavior will keep going until I reset the BIOS to defaults, and alter literally everything but that setting. I just installed an extra 32GB of RAM and now it's doing it when I reboot. It'll power off for two seconds and then power on. The system registers all the RAM at the proper speed and I even ran Topaz Video upscaler for four hours as a bench test with zero issues. Anyone heard of this before?

Board - Aorus Gaming Xtreme rev. 1.1

CPU - Ryzen 3950X

GPU - Radeon 6900XT

RAM - G.Skill Trident Royal Z (The silver stuff) 2x16GB Single Sided, and 2x16GB Double Sided

Does anyone else have some insight? I noticed last night it happens on a regular reboot too. It'll shut off for about two seconds and then power back up.

This might be a silly question, but did you make sure to buy the EXACT same ram model? I am talking, EXACT same model number.

If they are even slightly different, the dhcp won't work correctly, because of, for example, different CAS timings.

An easy way to test this ofcourse, is to take out the new ram, making sure dhcp is applied in the bios, and do whatever you were doing, that causes the issue(s).

Also.. usually the model number is indicated on the stick itself, if not check the box.

P.S.

If you did buy different ram models, you could go with what @Carolinesaid, which is setting things, like voltage/cas timing, manually, altough... i would in such case, recommend returning the ram, and buying the correct ones.

On the box the model number is the same. Looking very closely though one pair is single sided the other is double.

I mean, I could set all that manually, but what am I using for the baseline?

3 minutes ago, Caboose30 said:

On the box the model number is the same. Looking very closely though one pair is single sided the other is double.

I mean, I could set all that manually, but what am I using for the baseline?

This is a bit odd imho..

If 2 of your sticks are single sided, and the other 2 double sided, i wouldn't think, nor believe, they are the same model number.

Maybe there is something i am missing here though.

For your question:

I would have no idea, because i am terrible at overclocking and such, sorry.

3 hours ago, jollypirate said:

Have you tried updating the bios? 

Now that you mention it, no. The newer revision does say it has compatibility improvements.

My though it since tweaking a bios setting fixes it, it seems like a bios glitch. Might be worth trying, take like 5 minutes anyway

Yeah, I updated the BIOS. *sigh* it's the RAM. It's basically perfect until I turn on XMP. This is what's throwing me, they're both the exact same part number but the differences are clear.

PXL_20230328_221206525.jpg

PXL_20230328_221212073.jpg

So at this point I'm going to guess no one has a silver bullet to make this work 100% normally. Honestly if it's just a hard shut off when I reboot/initial power on I can probably live with it. More likely I'll buy another pair and sell the old one on ebay as lightly used. Thank you all for your input and assistance.

Okay, it fixed itself. I changed nothing and now it behaves normally. I still ordered a matched pair of RAM to replace the odd sticks, but man is this weird.

• 3 weeks later...

*update* This topic can be closed out after this.

So I got single sided RAM and everything went bonkers. Linux and Windows both quit booting with XMP turned on, no idea why. Had to redo my Linux install with it turned off, and now they both run fine with it on, and no indication anything was ever wrong. *shrugs* Gremlins. It's up and running at 3600 with XMP on and all four slots populated, so who knows.