Steam Deck Bag vs Messenger Bag

Harlem_Shaker

I would be interested in something that can hold switch with case/steamdeck + phone + water bottle etc. Things I reach for frequently enough to be annoying to hold in a backpack but infrequently enough to warrant storing them away for short periods of time. I wouldn't mind something bigger but personally I wouldn't carry a laptop or anything bulkier in anything but a backpack.
A messenger bag is something I personally would never use over a backpack. I find that many messenger bags hurt my shoulder/back a lot. A crossbody strap I find is fine on smaller bags however for larger ones such as many messenger style bags I find it rather uncomfortable.
Also I find that a lot of bags intended for crossbody wear have straps that are far too long for me even when adjusted for as much as they allow (often having bags sit around my knee).

I currently use a maxpedition messenger bag, and it's entirely too large for my daily carry. It's part of the reason I haven't grabbed an LTT Backpack yet. I'd love the "steam deck" sized bag only if it could also accommodate the 40oz water bottle as well(perhaps with hook and loop fasteners to help secure different sized bottles). If that's a deal breaker for that sized bag, then I'd absolutely be interested in something between the sizes of the smaller bag and the LTT Backpack as long as it can accommodate the 40oz bottle. 

Perhaps a compromise of doing one bag first and then the other later would satisfy the need people have to just carry a laptop and a few other things as well as those who don't need to carry a lot. In that case maybe the messenger bag first? 

Either way, I'll be following updates for this very closely as my current bag is slowly deteriorating. 

Size of the bag shown on the 3/24 show looks good... maybe include a velcro divider like a camera bag, allows you shrink down from steam deck to switch size, or just use it as a normal bag divided in the middle.

The steam deck style bag is a cool concept but it is way to niche and specific for me to even consider buying. I love the full sized LTT Backpack, but it is just to large for my purposes, with the utility and flexibility offered by the backpack being my favourite features. A messenger bag is my preferred style of bag, so getting one in the style and quality of the LTT backpack would be my dream bag and I would immediately buy it.

I really like this cross body bag idea that holds the water bottle makes it a great hiking and dog walking bag to just have a fun day out with out needing a backpack I would order one if made available with summer coming

Registered just for this thread.

+1 messenger bag. For smaller consoles like the switch people can put that in a case to fill up the bag more, plus more protection of the console.

The size shown on stream would be great as a small technician grab bag too for holding some light PC tools, kind of similar to the Wera bag system.

To expand on this, the first I thought of when I watched the WAN show last night was that I wanted a bag large enough for my DSLR + 1-2 lenses in exactly that kind of style, with that bag strap. A Messenger bag would be cool too, but messenger bag, with rigid, modular compartments would be awesome. 

I would want a messenger bag that could fit my 14 MBP or 13” work laptop and a mouse. If a space could be made for a ten-key less keyboard that would be awesome, but not a must. 

I would like to offer my 2c here, as someone who carries a messenger bag almost every time I go out for more than an hour. Mostly similar to how a lot of women would take a small purse when going out.

After iterating over 10 years, my messenger bag is of a size which could fit an iPad, but not a laptop. I usually always carry a small notebook, a power bank, a charger, a grocery bag, Mosquito repellant (tropical country resident here), deodorant, toothbrush, and other smaller items.

The steam deck one is definitely too small for me, as my default loadout keeps the messenger bag a quarter full almost all the time. Which might just be half or more for the steamdeck pouch. In mine I have day to day flexibility to add in a kindle when needed, or a change of clothes and a towel if I'm going to the beach, a fullframe camera with a lens if I plan to take photos, etc.

This is ofcourse from the perspective of someone who uses their bag as an everyday carry, and might not be as suitable for a more purpose-driven bag. Also I don't live in a place where going out means getting your car, so a lot of stuff I carry with me, people might keep in their car in North America.

Another vote for 13" Messenger bag.

Currently I do all my Gaming on the go on an ancient 15" Alienware that needs a 17" bag. I can't afford an LTT backpack and the Laptop is getting long in the tooth. It'll probably get replaced by a steamdeck but in that case I want to be able to still carry a tablet, overear headphones and charger, maybe even a tiny keyboard amd mouse for the tablet. 

That's got messenger bag all over it. 

1 hour ago, MattManix said:

Another vote for 13" Messenger bag.

13inch wont hold much that what i currently got and i cant even fit the small ltt waterbottle

I would really like a waist bag on the style of the Direct action foxtrot. That bag has everything i would like enough space for tech in the big bouch can be used as a small messenger bag has straps underneath and space on the sides for waterbottles in addition to lasser cut molle on the sides “belt” the bag went out of production several years back and i have been searching for a replacement for some time. 

direct action in general is a good template for messenger bags large and small. There is also wotancraft that offers a very stylish albeit very expensive bag. 

here is a youtube review on the foxtrot

I prefer messenger bag over handheld bag too. Maybe keep it on the small size, able to fit a slim 15 / thicc 14" laptop, charger, mouse, zippered storage for some flash drives / Sd cards, and a water bottle mount would be nice, but not in a way that causes clanging every time you carelessly put the bag down.

I really like the small bag. I want a EDC bag so I would put steam deck, flashlight, wallet, first-aid kit, and possibly sunglasses.There are already too many laptop bags I would really like something smaller.

I like the initial concept, and the direction looks good. But I already employ something like this as my EDC. I have a; now discontinued Patagonia Stealth Atom Sling 8L It's a great small EDC pack, that I use. There's tonnes of pockets, it has room to fit my Switch (with Case), my phones, surface duo, and as I have kids, wetwipes, masks, hair ties, car keys, etc. And it has a decent external waterbottle holder. I don't have a steamdeck, but I'm sure that I can fit that in there too, as I've been able to fit my surface Go with the Switch as well.

484925707_StealthAtomSling8L.thumb.jpg.a0c4383fee8fdafc3b1593e7849c0a90.jpg

(https://www.flyfishingmasters.se/en/patagonia-stealth-atom-sling-8l-forge-grey,

Personally I think the Steam Deck sized bag makes the most sense. If I need to take a laptop AND Steam Deck, I'll grab a larger backpack. For most travel, I just bring my Steam Deck along. I'm currently using a Pakt Anywhere Sling, but would prefer something with a bit more rigidity. It looks like the design on WAN show had a bit more rigidity to it. I think as long as they offer a front pocket to stash all my extras (phone, wallet, charger, etc) then it makes a great Steam Deck/EDC bag! Especially once those thumbstick covers launch!

What I think you could do is this: have a messenger style bag that fits a little bit more and you can configure that to have a more tech oriented style (pouch for a handheld or stuff like that) and for those of us that want to commute or bring their Deck, Switch etc with them, can have the tech pouch that you mentioned I think last week? With an added shoulder mount. This way you don't create 10000 different options, you have only 3: Big backpack, messenger bag for day to day use, tech pouch/sling for other stuff.

I use a 511 Sling back for my daily, and it fits a 13" laptop and other gear I need.  I would love to see an LTT sling bag that can fit a laptop and handheld.

Hi guys, love the idea of the messenger bag. As a person who travels and takes sightseeing trips around cities, backpack is sometimes too big for just a basic items and water. Putting everything in pickets and carrying water battle is also uncomfortable for me. The idea of messger bag + watter battle holder is great, but for me the best version would that lets u put it like that:
Nike Air Small Hip Sack Expendable Waist Bag Running Fanny Pack Black  CU2609-010 193655787713 | eBay

For me while travelling this solution is much more comfortable and much more safter in busy places.
The problem with existing bags like this is that they hove battle holder or they are just soooo big..

Originally I wanted to give my thoughts on the steam deck pouch that it should be bigger. But now I agree we need a sling/messenger instead of dedicated to a console.

There are plenty of switch cases and accessories. Please do not target the switch alone.

If possible. Allow both the steam deck and switch to sit in their own compartments.

Something like this sling but for tech products and bright orange interior.

https://www.wotancraft.tw/en/product/pilot-travel-camera-sling-bag-10L-khakibrownC

Sling with front pocket for phone, battery bank and cables. Maybe a way to have cable come out without losing water resistance so you can charge the phone while walking and using it.

Able to charge the deck/switch inside would be great. Big compartment would be split for Deck and switch/other. Place for 2 sets of joycons if travelling with switch disconnected from joycons. Place for extra micro SD card, usb and switch games cartridges, mouse.

10-12L might be good size. Modular parts like the Wontancraft would be great for those that only have one console type.

More useful than tech pouch but smaller than backpack. With peak design quick adjustable style shoulder strap. And please make the shoulder strap rugged and comfortable so it's not digging in or too mushy. Having water bottle slot is a must. But maybe on both sides. So water bottle and umbrella or something. Maybe one side is a quick access to laptop or Deck compartment.

I like the direction creator warehouse is going with for the most part except the bottom water bottle. That is a terrible solution. I want the same design principle as the backpack that the sling can stand on its own. And I don't want my waterbottle knocking against stuff I sit on.

Hopefully this thread helps.

@nicklmg

@LinusTech

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

If going with the steam deck size bag, it needs to be able to accommodate a charger. The deck’s battery life practically necessitates having one on hand if on the go. 

A nice to have would be a small pouch/pocket that a usb-c dongle could be slid into. 

Longtime listener of the wan show and just made a forum account after seeing the steam deck bag. I really like the design shown on the most recent wan. I live about an hour away from the closest grocer, and always wear some kind of crossbody sling bag when going in to town. My main criteria is that it needs to hold a Switch/ Steam Deck. If it was big enough to hold an ipad pro that would be pretty awesome as well. I can't stand the way the weight is distributed with messenger style bags but love the way sling style bags can sit on the back or chest without flopping around.