Do you think LMG Staff get a free Floatplane membership?

Extremos

While eating popcorn & enjoying the fire FP content being posted today (hmm, I wonder why...), I had a random thought. Do you think people that work for LMG/LTT get access to Floatplane as a benefit? If so, would it be used? Again, random thought so it's not meant to be taken serious, but I am curious what you think - should it be if it's not, and if you were apart of LMG, would you find it silly or neat?

With the fact that they get away with stealing stuff from the office, yeah, they probably do
But I could be wrong

No. Generally when you work in content creation and dealing with all of it, you dont watch it all that much. Also floatplane doesnt really have much on  it besides LTT content, with the other few Creators on it pretty much all similarly around tech.

I'm honestly not sure why they would need Floatplane. They already a lot of the behind-the-scenes information just by working there.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

They already a lot of the behind-the-scenes information just by working there.

Yes and no. Sure, as employees they're bound to know more then we do. But Linus has acknowledged several times now that LMG has grown so big so fast, employees may not get what goes on outside their dept. and those they interact with. Case in point, the April Fools recently about Linus appearing on the OnlyFans platform.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

45 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

No. Generally when you work in content creation and dealing with all of it, you dont watch it all that much. Also floatplane doesnt really have much on  it besides LTT content, with the other few Creators on it pretty much all similarly around tech.

I work in software development and (recently) started a new job at a company that does 'content' (recurring education) and I and my family members have access to the entire catalog, as well as partnered companies, like linkedIn Learning.

It would be foolish to not give your employees access to the content that they produce. walling your employees from the final product creates dissonance and a crew of people that don't know the product they are creating.

edit: When I started, they encouraged me to find things on the platform that interested me and use them so I could become more familiar with what I am working on/around/with.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

You mean access to LMG channels? Or whole content? To latter, its no. Since Floatplane is operated by mainly separate people from LMG, LMG would need to pay for those memberships. For LMG content, yes. Getting LNG content as "job benefit" for moderators also. But before you cry for unfair, the abuse we get from keeping this place clean and neutral, $5/mo is not enough. Thats shitty wage for 5h average spend weekly.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

You mean access to LMG channels? Or whole content? To latter, its no. Since Floatplane is operated by mainly separate people from LMG, LMG would need to pay for those memberships. For LMG content, yes. Getting LNG content as "job benefit" for moderators also. But before you cry for unfair, the abuse we get from keeping this place clean and neutral, $5/mo is not enough. Thats shitty wage for 5h average spend weekly.

Wait, is this even legal?
Cause I'm no Canadian, I have no idea how minimum wage works there.

Doesn't matter what I think.  

I also don't care if Netflix employees get a free membership to Netflix.

6 minutes ago, MaxiTB said:

Wait, is this even legal?
Cause I'm no Canadian, I have no idea how minimum wage works there.

Moderators are volunteers. So the part about it being wage was joke. It's benefit, but not reason I'm doing it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Doesn't matter what I think.  

I also don't care if Netflix employees get a free membership to Netflix.

they don't get access, netflix employees need to pay for it

25 minutes ago, Stark Odinson said:

they don't get access, netflix employees need to pay for it

You missed the point.

I dont work at netflix or LMG, so I dont care

5 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

I can understand your point of view for a normal company/business, as most do not like covering costs when they don't need to, but we have heard LMG have some pretty awesome benefits like a phone plan, and more I cannot think of at the moment so it is a chance. I do agree though that if they do have access, it's likely limited to the category they work in, for example the Floatplane team likely have access to any accounts needed, and the LTT side of things may have access to the LTT channels.

27 minutes ago, Extremos said:

I can understand your point of view for a normal company/business, as most do not like covering costs when they don't need to, but we have heard LMG have some pretty awesome benefits like a phone plan, and more I cannot think of at the moment so it is a chance. I do agree though that if they do have access, it's likely limited to the category they work in, for example the Floatplane team likely have access to any accounts needed, and the LTT side of things may have access to the LTT channels.

It's a good question. Some staff definitely do have accounts and very occasionally you may see them replying in the comment section. I'm not sure if all staff are automatically assigned Floatplane subscriptions to the LTT channel, I wouldn't imagine they would be since depending on their role they might not need it to do their job, but if any employees were interested in it and asked for a subscription I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be given access.

However, it's very unlikely LMG employees would get free access to other creator channels but there's nothing stopping them from subscribing themselves if they're interested in other creators.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

23 minutes ago, Extremos said:

I can understand your point of view for a normal company/business, as most do not like covering costs when they don't need to, but we have heard LMG have some pretty awesome benefits like a phone plan, and more I cannot think of at the moment so it is a chance.

Here phone plan is normal for any job that includes talking to people outside of the office. Like customers, partners, suppliers. It's worth something like 50e/mo,so not really big deal.

23 minutes ago, Extremos said:

I do agree though that if they do have access, it's likely limited to the category they work in, for example the Floatplane team likely have access to any accounts needed, and the LTT side of things may have access to the LTT channels.

They could have it as voucher to subscribe to one or two other creators. In lines of what I get as 200e/year for sports/culture/physio.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv