Linus Tech Tips, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked channels hacked

betav17
Message added by Spotty,

The Linus Tech Tips, TechLinked, and TechQuickie Youtube channels have been restored.

A video explaining what happened is now up:

but why would the hackers use musk, many scammers already use that card, and bitcoin+ musk is a well known scam combo.

on a light note, 1.5k replies in 8 hours, wow, thats a lot

4 minutes ago, Cakelestia said:

I was just going to continue watching last WAN Show, but checked my notifications first only to see that LinusTechTipsTemp channel with that crypto BS and Musk in the thumbnail. I knew immediately that *stuff* hit the fan... hope it will be back up soon, had to watch RTFM instead XD

You can listen the WAN show on spotify too

9 minutes ago, DERPmaster said:

wow, just, wow like what happens when it goes back up, will Linus need a new Chanel, will his subscriber count reset?

I know it’s been said before but I’ll say it again as this is a 60+ page thread, YouTubers have lost their whole channel before, and were able to recover it. If I remember correctly, YouTube never “deletes” channels fully for a short while after a creator deletes it or they are terminated in case something goes wrong. LTT may lose a few videos and a small amount of subscribers, but this isn’t the end nor a need for a new channel. 

ANY CHANNEL ADVERTISING AS A NEW OR TEMP LTT IS SCAM. 

LMG still has Short Circuit, LMG Clips, Mac Address, Super Fun, so they will push any info out there if they need to. 

Edited by dragonkyng
Changed 40 to 60

5 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

This sounds like you're complaining about free content?

nope, about heavily paid content... by watching ads... 

how many ads you see per one video? 6? more? there's at least 2 on start, at least 3 "sponsorships", at least one at end and usually some in middle 

4 minutes ago, DERPmaster said:

but why would the hackers use musk, many scammers already use that card, and bitcoin+ musk is a well known scam combo.

They use it because it works. Same reason “grandma I’m in jail” phone scams still happen

1 minute ago, mwilsonii said:

Dang. Shortest held CTO position in history. lol

LOL! rdlaugh.png

"Sorry, Luke. You tried... you tried hard. And I thought I'd only have to fire Colton... again!"

1 minute ago, dragonkyng said:

I know it’s been said before but I’ll say it again as this is a 40+ page thread, YouTubers have lost their whole channel before, and were able to recover it. If I remember correctly, YouTube never “deletes” channels fully for a short while after a creator deletes it or they are terminated in case something goes wrong. LTT may lose a few videos and a small amount of subscribers, but this isn’t the end nor a need for a new channel. 

ANY CHANNEL ADVERTISING AS A NEW OR TEMP LTT IS SCAM. 

LMG still has Short Circuit, LMG Clips, Mac Address, Super Fun, so they will push any info out there if they need to. 

thanks

1 minute ago, Dom1252 said:

nope, about heavily paid content... by watching ads... 

how many ads you see per one video? 6? more? there's at least 2 on start, at least 3 "sponsorships", at least one at end and usually some in middle 

why do u watch ads

Anyone who doesn't know that is a prime candidate to be scammed - that's part of why they do it - they want victims who will breeze through the process of being scammed without ever stopping to think "Hey, wait a minute, didn't Elon Musk pull out of Bitcoin?"

Looks like floatplane is chugging too. Cant renew or start new subscriptions.

Silver lining is at least floatplane may have an uptick in subscribers. We I initially couldn't find Wan show, i thought they may be floatplane/spotify exclusives.

Oh side note seems wan show on spotify has finally been granted video too.

14 minutes ago, cretsiah said:

so because you didnt back up all your vids how much has been lost?

maybe now it would be a good idea to have a back up on rumble?

for those of us that cant actually afford to get onto floatplane what are we going to do?

The content still exists on YouTube, and I'm sure they have most of their final content backed up locally as well. They've addressed using other platforms (like Rumble or Odysee) as recently as last week on WAN Show, and it just isn't worth it to them. That's more effort to gain a tiny (compared to YouTube and the other platforms they already use) number of viewers. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

dum scammers

It's sort of smart really - structure the scam such that only very vulnerable victims will respond and the scammers don't waste time and resources half-scamming people for no payout

14 minutes ago, Robonwars said:

evrything is back uped so probably 0 just get Flaotplane and u can see it too

?? last i heard on one of his WAN shows ... everything was not backed up, the size of the catalog was to big, his storage to small and linus quote  " if he ever wants to get a copy of his stuff he would just download from youtube " ..... between his private server failures ( 2 i believe now ) so yeah ... not sure that everything is backed up

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

2 minutes ago, smadi said:

Looks like floatplane is chugging too. Cant renew or start new subscriptions.

Managed to subscribe earlier in the day, but since like a couple of hours ago, the videos aren't loading anymore. The traffic has massively increased, most probably beyond the capabilities of the server(s). From what I read Floatplane is hosted by OVH, not an in-house server. Hopefully, they'll manage to get everything back on track as soon as possible.

2 minutes ago, Atomic Shrimp said:

It's sort of smart really - structure the scam such that only very vulnerable victims will respond and the scammers don't waste time and resources half-scamming people for no payout

To be honest they could have scammed a lot more effectively. For a tech minded audience and such a big one at that a custom scam like a "linus coin" would have been way more effective.

2 minutes ago, cretsiah said:

?? last i heard on one of his WAN shows ... everything was not backed up, the size of the catalog was to big, his storage to small and linus quote  " if he ever wants to get a copy of his stuff he would just download from youtube " ..... between his private server failures ( 2 i believe now ) so yeah ... not sure that everything is backed up

i hope only the 5/10 year old 720p crappy videos are lost

or only the non meme ones

Edited by DERPmaster

2 minutes ago, smadi said:

To be honest they could have scammed a lot more effectively. For a tech minded audience and such a big one at that a custom scam like a "linus coin" would have been way more effective.

They're not really trying to scam the subscribed audience - they just want to hijack a high profile channel to get their scam video high up in the recommendations that everyone sees.

25 minutes ago, cretsiah said:

so because you didnt back up all your vids how much has been lost?

maybe now it would be a good idea to have a back up on rumble?

for those of us that cant actually afford to get onto floatplane what are we going to do?

LMG has multiple backup servers where they store their content (likely raw footage and final cuts uploaded to YT)... 
Do you even watch their content? So many videos referencing their "Vault" servers, "Editing servers" and even ones about how they lost some content due to improper server configs, then recovered a bunch of it.

So yea, they might not have everything backed up but they certainly won't loose everything between YT's own backup/restore and their "Vault".

6 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

I doub't it.  I'd not click on anything calling itself  linustechtips2.0 or temp or whatever.  

Linus doesn’t have a beard in that thumbnail so I doubt it 

1 minute ago, Idkwhattodowithmylife said:

Linus doesn’t have a beard in that thumbnail so I doubt it 

all fake if u search for linus tech tips and filter for channels u will find a lot of them(some pretty old most renamed today)

40 minutes ago, Hope Noble said:

More or less. On a wan show couple of weeks back they talked about it. 
If you request all your data YT will send you ALL YOUR DATA. 
Even videos you deleted from your channel. 

huh, i will have to try that

I am an A/V Event Technician. My Computer Specs: Intel Core i5-6600K | Gigabyte GA-H110M-A | 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2400 | MSI Gaming x4 DDR4-2400 | Thermaltake S100 | Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | Cooler Master MW550 | Acer K243Y | Cooler Master ML240R ARGB | Corsair K55 | Corsair Harpoon RGB | Windows 11 Pro