Diablo 4 killing 3080 GPUs ?

Mikey89

So i just stumbled across on a few topics on Diablo 4's forum with a lot of people saying that the game's beta that took place this past weekend actually bricked or killed their GPUs.

What i read was a lot about RTX 3080 Ti cards.

Does anyone know anything about this ?

1 minute ago, Mikey89 said:

So i just stumbled across on a few topics on Diablo 4's forum with a lot of people saying that the game's beta that took place this past weekend actually bricked or killed their GPUs.

What i read was a lot about RTX 3080 Ti cards.

Does anyone know anything about this ?

its New World - EVGA bricked GPU's  all over again?

11 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

its New World - EVGA bricked GPU's  all over again?

I don't really know.

I mean i played the beta on my GTX 1660 SUPER and had no issues.

But if you go to the Diablo 4 forums there are a lot of people saying that their 3080 and 3080 Ti card got bricked or killed.

It seems it's only happening to the 3080 and 3080 Ti models.

Keep an eye on /r/nvidia but until then, no one knows anything. 

The problem isn't the game but the design of those cards

All affected cards need to be recalled...

It will happen with more games in the future.

From what i know of the New World situation for some reason the Over Power Protection failed when playing the game,

And the card will draw more power than the power limit which in some cases will fry your card if the card can't handle the higher power draw.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

29 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Keep an eye on /r/nvidia but until then, no one knows anything. 

Wait is that blizzard's official response on reddit ?

I don't use reddit super often.

3 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

Wait is that blizzard's official response on reddit ?

I don't use reddit super often.

No. But if you want the most up to date crowdsourced information on.. literally anything, it and twitter are where you want to be.

3 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

No. But if you want the most up to date crowdsourced information on.. literally anything, it and twitter are where you want to be.

I don't do either reddit or twitter. LOL 

But i usually follow Linus and Jay when it comes to IT and tech.

That's why i kinda made the topic - i was surprised there was nothing on their YT channel about this.

7 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

That's why i kinda made the topic - i was surprised there was nothing on their YT channel about this.

What about this that isn't being covered anywhere, if it is even a anything at all, would be something either of them would cover this early? Probably the last places you'd go for up to date tech information in any situation. 

2 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

What about this that isn't being covered anywhere, if it is even a anything at all, would be something either of them would cover this early? Probably the last places you'd go for up to date tech information in any situation. 

Yeah you're right.

I was searching for news on this like crazy and can barely find anything.

Why is it always Nvidia cards with these issues?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

5 minutes ago, Middcore said:

This is probably from bad AMD drivers too. 🙃

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

5 minutes ago, Middcore said:

My guess? nVidia holds the market and is the "go to" name, so everyone codes for all the super neat-o things in nVidia cards.

Plus sloppy programming. I assume nVidia has in place safeguards against over voltages, and some programmer said "naaa, it'll be fine"

Just a guess tho

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

13 minutes ago, Middcore said:

GDDR6X is very power hungry, and therefore hot, which means it can cook itself if some games do a surprise funny power virus workload that Nvidia hasn't prepared for and set up the card to downclock under (vs something more well known like Furmark, where a modern card will throttle itself to avoid cooking). High end Nvidia cards use both GDDR6X, and a lot of it, thus why they're the ones that fail. 

AMD uses GDDR6. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

9 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Interestingly it has always been AIB cards if I remember correctly. The amazon game only bricked EVGA cards and I just looked through a few posts regarding this issue on reddit and bilzzard forum and it seems like it is only Gigabyte cards this time. Which leads to the question is it an nivdia issue or an AIB production/design issue?

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

9 minutes ago, Montana One-Six said:

Interestingly it has always been AIB cards if I remember correctly. The amazon game only bricked EVGA cards and I just looked through a few posts regarding this issue on reddit and bilzzard forum and it seems like it is only Gigabyte cards this time. Which leads to the question is it an nivdia issue or an AIB production/design issue?

What i don't understand is why the hell isn't this being covered in the news ?

I literally can't find much if anything about this on other websites.

40 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

What i don't understand is why the hell isn't this being covered in the news ?

I literally can't find much if anything about this on other websites.

I thought we covered this already and its simply because there is not (yet) an issue to cover. Can you start linking the accounts of dead cards? Have they been thoroughly vetted? If its limited to a few complainers on the games on forums so far, its not large enough for anyone to care about just yet. Scrolling through /r/diablo, /r/diablo4 and /r/nvidia i'm not seeing anything apart from that one rant I posted earlier. 

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I thought we covered this already and its simply because there is not (yet) an issue to cover. Can you start linking the accounts of dead cards? Have they been thoroughly vetted? If its limited to a few complainers on the games on forums so far, its not large enough for anyone to care about just yet. Scrolling through /r/diablo, /r/diablo4 and /r/nvidia i'm not seeing anything apart from that one rant I posted earlier. 

I already linked a topic from Diablo 4 forum earlier in which there were like 130 replies.

Quite a few of those people had this issue.

This is the type of stuff that should be news - they can't just kill GPUs and expect people to be ok with this.

2 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

I already linked a topic from Diablo 4 forum earlier in which there were like 130 replies.

Quite a few of those people had this issue.

This is the type of stuff tha should be news - they can't just kill GPUs and expect people tot be om with this.

Once the situation is researched well enough you can be sure some of the quicker sites like wccftech and videocardz will pick it up. If its anything like New World, the game wasn't killing cards, bad hardware was killing cards. Mostly EVGA. They took care of their customers and fixed the hardware and the problem went away. 

1 hour ago, Montana One-Six said:

You answered your own question. 

If nvidia issue, it would effect all reference models. and most non-reference

If a specific non-reference, its that specific non-reference's problem. Such as not having the correctly rated capacitors at some part of the circuit. 

Diablo 4 is not killing any GPUs. That is putting the blame on the wrong thing. 
Just like new world did not kill any GPUs, it was never on Amazon. EVGA cut cost in a very specific way with caps that allowed the voltages to run out of spec on certain loads, if it was not new world, it would have been some other studio that found that bug. 

7 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Got your wish, the master of clickbait himself out to get all the uninformed up in arms! 

https://youtu.be/or7njUlYTLI

FINALLY !!

It's about time someone made a video on this - hopefully blizzard gets their shit together and actually fixes it.

25 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Got your wish, the master of clickbait himself  out to get all the uninformed up in arms! 

https://youtu.be/or7njUlYTLI

I was all set up to get mad at him like I went off on him for previous issues (like 12vhpw and new world). But he actually had a well reasoned stance on the situation this time. Even with the click bait headline it was far more informative to viewers then in the past. 

Dude improved.

In the actual video he goes on about how this is a hardware problem, not a diablo 4 problem, just that diablo 4 was the perfect storm to show the hardware issue.

13 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

FINALLY !!

It's about time someone made a video on this - hopefully blizzard gets their shit together and actually fixes it.

If its like the last issue, it was hardware. The GPU's failed due to faulty hardware/build.