I've been trouble shooting my Internet for a month

Kn0x

Hi LTT members,

I'm writing here to seek for help as I am having issues with my network, which I have been troubleshooting for a month (Including tech support coming in person to check). My internet is generally okay throughout the day, but past 7-8PM, it dwindles down to 35-50mbps with Huge ping latency spikes. I pay for 300Mbps upload, just for context.

Would anyone more experienced with this topic be able to help out? I've ran out of options and switching to another ISP is a huge bother as they are the only ones offering 300 in my area.

Thanks, I would appreciate all responses

3 minutes ago, Kn0x said:

Hi LTT members,

I'm writing here to seek for help as I am having issues with my network, which I have been troubleshooting for a month (Including tech support coming in person to check). My internet is generally okay throughout the day, but past 7-8PM, it dwindles down to 35-50mbps with Huge ping latency spikes. I pay for 300Mbps upload, just for context.

Would anyone more experienced with this topic be able to help out? I've ran out of options and switching to another ISP is a huge bother as they are the only ones offering 300 in my area.

Thanks, I would appreciate all responses

How’s your internet delivered. Fiber, coax, phone line, etc? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 hours ago, Kn0x said:

I've ran out of options

What troubleshooting have you done so far?

11 hours ago, Donut417 said:

How’s your internet delivered. Fiber, coax, phone line, etc? 

OP, this is very important. Cable internet (which is coax, and shares bandwidth with all your neighbors TV’s) can really take a hard hit when everyone comes home and turns their TV’s on. I have spectrum cable internet and don’t have this issue, but friends who don’t live far away with Cox cable internet have this exact same issue. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

4 hours ago, PyCCo_TyPuCTo said:

He's paying for 300Mbps upload, if true, only fiber fits the criteria.

Comcast has ran trials in select markets and was able to do Gigabit upload. Currently they are deploying mid splits and lower tiers are getting 100 Mbps upload while upper plans are getting like 500 Mbps upload. So thats no longer going to hold true. 

8 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Comcast has ran trials in select markets and was able to do Gigabit upload. Currently they are deploying mid splits and lower tiers are getting 100 Mbps upload while upper plans are getting like 500 Mbps upload. So thats no longer going to hold true. 

I did not know that, Thanks!

1 hour ago, PyCCo_TyPuCTo said:

I did not know that, Thanks!

Right now the new uploads are only in select markets. You have to use the Comcast gateway and have unlimited data to be eligible. I think this is for two reasons. 1) Comcast is greedy. 2) they are trying to limit how many people are on the upgrades. 

As others have stated, the more information you can give, the easier it will be to help you.

The fact that it is time sensitive would indicate network congestion, which your ISP would never admit to.

Please let us know what troubleshooting steps you have taken.