RTX 3060 doesn't feel like much of an upgrade

PartsGuyFingas

Cpu - Intel I7 8700 @3.20 ghz

Gpu - Gigabyte RTX 3060 12gb

Ram - 2x8gb sticks of Aegis clocked at 3200mhz

Mobo - Asus TUF B360-Pro Gaming

Psu - Some random 650w called like Beast Gaming or whatever

So my dad built this pc a couple years back and I've been using it a good amount recently for gaming so I figured I would go to upgrade it. I started with the GPU first going from a Radeon RX 580 8gb to the Gigabyte RTX 3060 12gb. In some games I can tell and feel the difference but in others like for example God Of War on Steam I can barely get a smooth 60fps without it dropping frames every 5 seconds or so. I don't feel like I'm playing on outrageous settings just everything set to high and DLSS set to quality. I also forgot to mention I have a 27 inch LG monitor with 165hz refresh rate so I would hope that isn't a factor lol, But I haven't been deeply into pc's in a while so if I could get some advice or tips from you guys that would be appreciated. P.S. I have plans to upgrade it more in the future but just don't know what to tackle now.  

You could try using DDU to properly uninstall the previous gpu drivers and current and then install them again.

Agree with @Gian - make sure you ran DDU to fully wipe your old AMD drivers.

If you already did that, then it could be that your computer is running low on RAM (16GB ain't what it used to be for modern games, especially if you're trying to do anything else in the background) and while your CPU isn't exactly bad, it's not the powerhouse it was 5 years ago, either.

Do you have Afterburner with RTSS installed to give you usage statistics? If so, could you see what your GPU utilization looks like in the games that give you problems?

Cpu is a little weak if you were trying to play at 120+ fps but the RTX 3060 is about 85% stronger than the RX 580 at 1080p with a high end cpu per Techpowerup's RTX 3060 review numbers, though you probably lose a decent chunk of that with the 8700 due to Nvidia drivers having more DX12 overhead than AMD's. Still I can't imagine it shouldn't be easily noticeably better unless you didn't clean out the old drivers first or something. RTX 3060 uses quite a bit less power than the RX 580 too so doubt it's your power supply. Would definitely use monitoring software like Afterburner with RTSS to see if it's even getting full power and ramping up to full clocks because a 3060 12GB shouldn't have problems running God of War at 1080p 60 fps on high settings even without DLSS. Might need to RMA that gpu because it sounds like it could be massively underperforming.

Update:

Had my Dad look at PC with me and asked some work friends but after uninstalling my old and current drivers, then reinstalling the new ones again, plus updating my bios just in case I ran God of War while looking at MSI Afterburner and my Ram was running at 100% even while on the menu screen so I ordered 32gb of 3600mhz should be coming in tomorrow but hopefully that fixes the issue. Also CPU was running good maybe a little hot but I can understand because I have the stock cooler, then the GPU could've be running a little bit more but the numbers didn't seem too drastically low. 

28 minutes ago, PartsGuyFingas said:

Update:

Had my Dad look at PC with me and asked some work friends but after uninstalling my old and current drivers, then reinstalling the new ones again, plus updating my bios just in case I ran God of War while looking at MSI Afterburner and my Ram was running at 100% even while on the menu screen so I ordered 32gb of 3600mhz should be coming in tomorrow but hopefully that fixes the issue. Also CPU was running good maybe a little hot but I can understand because I have the stock cooler, then the GPU could've be running a little bit more but the numbers didn't seem too drastically low. 

Scratch that, talked with my nerd friend a little bit more and I got my fps issue all sorted out but now my cpu is just running almost maxed out the entire time I booted GOW

its not much of an upgrade because your cpu is much too slow to utilize it. simply

14 hours ago, PartsGuyFingas said:

with my nerd friend a little bit more and I got my fps issue all sorted

ah.

14 hours ago, PartsGuyFingas said:

but now my cpu is just running almost maxed out the entire time

hear hear!

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 hours ago, PartsGuyFingas said:

Scratch that, talked with my nerd friend a little bit more and I got my fps issue all sorted out but now my cpu is just running almost maxed out the entire time I booted GOW

Are you saying you CPU is running at 100% the entire time God of War is running? Or just when God of War is loading?

Game loading can easily max out just about any CPU - that's not unusual and not something to really be concerned with. I remember the first time I booted up Detroit Become Human and it actually maxed out my 5900X for a bit when it was compiling shaders. I also found that upgrading to the 5900X made the start-up time for Metro Exodus PC Enhanced Edition way faster than it was with my 9600K, because it actually was able to utilize all 24 threads when the game was loading, so the previous 6 thread CPU was holding it back.

On 3/20/2023 at 7:22 PM, PartsGuyFingas said:

Cpu - Intel I7 8700 @3.20 ghz

Gpu - Gigabyte RTX 3060 12gb

Ram - 2x8gb sticks of Aegis clocked at 3200mhz

Mobo - Asus TUF B360-Pro Gaming

Psu - Some random 650w called like Beast Gaming or whatever

So my dad built this pc a couple years back and I've been using it a good amount recently for gaming so I figured I would go to upgrade it. I started with the GPU first going from a Radeon RX 580 8gb to the Gigabyte RTX 3060 12gb. In some games I can tell and feel the difference but in others like for example God Of War on Steam I can barely get a smooth 60fps without it dropping frames every 5 seconds or so. I don't feel like I'm playing on outrageous settings just everything set to high and DLSS set to quality. I also forgot to mention I have a 27 inch LG monitor with 165hz refresh rate so I would hope that isn't a factor lol, But I haven't been deeply into pc's in a while so if I could get some advice or tips from you guys that would be appreciated. P.S. I have plans to upgrade it more in the future but just don't know what to tackle now.  

It depends a lot on each game.

If you search on YT there are videos of the GTX 1660 vs GTX 1660 SUPER vs RX 580 and in some games it's only about 10 FPS meanwhile in other games like 25-30 FPS difference.

Personally im currently on a GTX 1660 SUPER and a while ago was thinking if i should upgrade to the 3060 only for the extra VRAM.

But then i saw the difference between them isn't that big - about 25 FPS in favor of the 3060. I'm already getting very good performance in games with my current GTX 1660 SUPER so the upgrade wouldn't really be worth it.

If i were you i would wait for the 5000 series to come out in 2 years max - that's what i plan on doing myself because nvidia kinda screwed up the 4000 series both performance-wise and price-wise.

I appreciate everyone’s help but I got all my problems sorted out now. I’m running God of War amazingly and I noticed that my cpu and ram were overclocked so I brought those down to normal and it’s way quieter than before. 

1 minute ago, PartsGuyFingas said:

I appreciate everyone’s help but I got all my problems sorted out now. I’m running God of War amazingly and I noticed that my cpu and ram were overclocked so I brought those down to normal and it’s way quieter than before. 

Also temps are good as well mainly hovering around the 70-80% range