whats best way to do this

CatXice

so in my living room i have a project that takes hdmi and plays the audio though its built in speakers. It has optical out and a hdmi out so i would like to put in surround sound but i have no idea if the hdmi out to an AV would work or would i have to use optical? as it dont say anywhere that the hdmi supports earc 

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

On 3/19/2023 at 11:55 AM, CatXice said:

so in my living room i have a project that takes hdmi and plays the audio though its built in speakers. It has optical out and a hdmi out so i would like to put in surround sound but i have no idea if the hdmi out to an AV would work or would i have to use optical? as it dont say anywhere that the hdmi supports earc 

You would have to test the HDMI Out on the projector to see whether it outputs full surround sound (it may downsample to Stereo, for example).

But I agree with @circeseye, why not simply connect the AVR inline with the projector?

Your suggested solution:

Source -> Projector -> HDMI Out -> AVR

We suggest changing to:

Source -> AVR -> Projector

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 3/19/2023 at 6:04 PM, circeseye said:

why not go to the avr then the projector?

23 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

You would have to test the HDMI Out on the projector to see whether it outputs full surround sound (it may downsample to Stereo, for example).

But I agree with @circeseye, why not simply connect the AVR inline with the projector?

Your suggested solution:

Source -> Projector -> HDMI Out -> AVR

We suggest changing to:

i am using my old laptop as source which dosnt have hdmi arc or optical and the av dont have hdmi arc so currently am runing laptop to hdmi projector to optical av which is working fine

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

6 hours ago, CatXice said:

i am using my old laptop as source which dosnt have hdmi arc or optical and the av dont have hdmi arc so currently am runing laptop to hdmi projector to optical av which is working fine

?? does your laptop have a hdmi out? if so you dont need earc. hook it to a avr hdmi in then, avr hdmi out to the projector

18 hours ago, CatXice said:

Can you clarify what video port your laptop does have? You said it doesn't have "hdmi arc" - ARC would not be required for this scenario. Does it have HDMI? VGA? DP?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 6:53 PM, dalekphalm said:

Do this. eARC/ARC is Audio Return Channel, and is for 'backfeeding' audio from a display back to an AVR/soundbar when connected to the displays 'input' and the AVR/soundbar's 'output.'