XFX Pro Seires 8 pin cpu power cable

H4X3R

As the title suggests, i (my bro owns it but i built the pc) own an xfx pro series 850W power supply. I am planning to get the same one as the price is very good where i live (its the only viable option) and the 8 pin cable seems very short. While builing my bros PC im a define r4 it couldn't be routed through the back and that looks horrid.

I am going to most likely build in the h440 and i am wobdering if i will have the same problem. Any owners or people with experience of both cases, could you tell me if the h440 is shorter, so that i can route my 8 pin cpu power cable.

If you do suggest a power extension cable, please use geizhals.at ONLY!!!.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

You could always by a bitfenix alchemy cable they are 45cm and individually braided with any colour combo. im looking into them atm so if they arent long enough you could get these 

http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/premium-modding/alchemy-cables/

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

Thanks. I'll get one of those. Are there any drawbacks (power delivery wise and / or amp wise) or just any conflicts or reduction in certain aspects?

I dnt think so they just extensions so they shouldn't affect anything really.

Thanks. I'll get one of those. Are there any drawbacks (power delivery wise and / or amp wise) or just any conflicts or reduction in certain aspects?

Well, due to the imperfect contact between the pins of the PSU cables and adapters, it would create more resistance in the power delivery in which would result in some voltage drops. So it can have a negative effect, but often the effect should be small in which you shouldn't have any problems. This also applies to fixed cables PSUs vs modular PSUs.

Of course, getting a cheap adapter or a bad sample that got slipped past quality control in which the connection is loosely secure can cause some issues. A loose connection can cause the connector to get hot and burn. The voltage drop can result in some stability issues with the computer. An example of this would be this guy at OCN, where he had used a 24-pin extension. He had an issue with the 3.3v voltage dropping below 3v when measuring with a DMM. When he removed it, it stayed above 3.2v.

Since it seem that you haven't bought it yet, it is more ideal to find a PSU with a long enough cable in the first place. In accordance to this review, the EVGA Supernova G2 850w EPS12v connector has a length of 700mm (27.56in), whereas the XFX Pro Series 850w Black Edition has one for 64cm (25.2in) according to this review. The two extra inches may help with the cable routing. It's also priced a little cheaper.

XFX Pro Series 850w Black Edition

EVGA Supernova 850w G2

If you end up getting extensions anyways, make sure it is fully seated and properly secure. Also, what may help with routing the EPS12v connector is plugging it to the motherboard first. Route it,  plugged it into the PSU and then mounting it to the case (with some care).

Well, due to the imperfect contact between the pins of the PSU cables and adapters, it would create more resistance in the power delivery in which would result in some voltage drops. So it can have a negative effect, but often the effect should be small in which you shouldn't have any problems. This also applies to fixed cables PSUs vs modular PSUs.

Of course, getting a cheap adapter or a bad sample that got slipped past quality control in which the connection is loosely secure can cause some issues. A loose connection can cause the connector to get hot and burn. The voltage drop can result in some stability issues with the computer. An example of this would be this guy at OCN, where he had used a 24-pin extension. He had an issue with the 3.3v voltage dropping below 3v when measuring with a DMM. When he removed it, it stayed above 3.2v.

Since it seem that you haven't bought it yet, it is more ideal to find a PSU with a long enough cable in the first place. In accordance to this review, the EVGA Supernova G2 850w EPS12v connector has a length of 700mm (27.56in), whereas the XFX Pro Series 850w Black Edition has one for 64cm (25.2in) according to this review. The two extra inches may help with the cable routing. It's also priced a little cheaper.

XFX Pro Series 850w Black Edition

EVGA Supernova 850w G2

If you end up getting extensions anyways, make sure it is fully seated and properly secure. Also, what may help with routing the EPS12v connector is plugging it to the motherboard first. Route it,  plugged it into the PSU and then mounting it to the case (with some care).

Thanks for the tips. Where i live the Evga G2 is about $50 more so i think i'll stick with the XFX (PS and you were right, i NEARLY managed to plug in the 8 pin but i didn't).

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4