Question about Steam Deck 64gb~

lcfz1986

I'm planning to buy a Steam Deck 64gb, then i will replace/upgrade the 64gb > 2tb~

Problems: I ask the shopkeeper about to steam deck 64gb, shopkeeper told me steam deck 64gb has a risk to replace/upgrade ssd 64gb (is mean maybe the steam deck 64gb ssd maybe soldered)

Question:

1. Is there a steam deck 64gb is soldered? or can be replaced? are those device storage eMMC is soldered right?

2. does all the version of steam deck (no matter 64gb/256gb/512gb), the performance (cpu/gpu) is the same right?

Thx u, I just want to made some research~

41 minutes ago, lcfz1986 said:

Question:

1. Is there a steam deck 64gb is soldered? or can be replaced? are those device storage eMMC is soldered right?

image.thumb.png.d31a251ed956317c7815f9d40d4d605e.png

Yeah it is soldered. And as far as i know it is completely separate board and doesnt have the m.2 2230 slot that the nvme steam deck has. Its not worth it to go EMMC deck in my opinion, unless you meant it for a dedicated steam link machine. You only have SD Card for expansion which is just lame and doesnt match the speed of even HDD in bandwith.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Your questions are kinda all over the place, but here goes:

1.) The 64GB Varient of the steam deck does in fact have an M.2 SSD slot, it's not soldered and is removable, though you have to make sure you get the specific size of SSD the Steam Deck needs (2230 M.2 SSD). Also, keep in mind that you will have to reinstall the Steam OS once you install the new SSD. 

EDIT: I'm wrong, I think the 64GB variant only has SD Card storage unfortunately. Sorry bout' that.

2.) More or less, yes. The more expensive 2 Steam Decks (256 and 512 gb models) have NVMe SSDs which are quite a bit faster then the eMMC SSD, so loading times, asset rendering, and other such things will technically be faster on the more expensive decks, but you likely won't notice a difference.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

35 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

image.thumb.png.d31a251ed956317c7815f9d40d4d605e.png

Yeah it is soldered. And as far as i know it is completely separate board and doesnt have the m.2 2230 slot that the nvme steam deck has. Its not worth it to go EMMC deck in my opinion, unless you meant it for a dedicated steam link machine. You only have SD Card for expansion which is just lame and doesnt match the speed of even HDD in bandwith.

It's not soldered. The eMMC is on a M.2 board like the NVMe

image.thumb.png.173ee5864c1c2c8314755a7ca2654e29.png

Yes, the performance is the same between all versions. Only difference is storage and the 512GB one has anti-glare screen coating. Some steam deck use different fans so the noise profile may be different but that's not related to which version you pick, they simply use fans from multiple different manufacturers.

Thx for reply & info, But what i watch the video on youtube... there r many buyer buy 64gb & replace to 1tb/2tb... is there a fake video?

Or they bought a 256gb & replace 64gb before they record the video?

you can also try buying 1TB SD card, their performance is surprisingly good and comparable to an SSD 

2 hours ago, bearlymike said:

you can also try buying 1TB SD card, their performance is surprisingly good and comparable to an SSD 

Actually i hope can boost the Steam deck to max storage > 2tb SSD & 1TB SD Card😅~~~

All 3 systems are identical in terms of hardware, except for the storage space, and the 512GB model has a premium etched glass on top.

The eMMC module on the 64GB model is NOT soldered, it is mounted on an M.2 mini-board like the other models.

Gadiner bryant has a detailed video on how to switch the SSD, and keep in mind, the size of the SSDs inside Steam Deck is non-conventionnal (lot smaller)

If it has been done before, I can do it...

If it has never been done, just leave me some time to find a way!

9 hours ago, Normand_Nadon said:

All 3 systems are identical in terms of hardware, except for the storage space, and the 512GB model has a premium etched glass on top.

The eMMC module on the 64GB model is NOT soldered, it is mounted on an M.2 mini-board like the other models.

Gadiner bryant has a detailed video on how to switch the SSD, and keep in mind, the size of the SSDs inside Steam Deck is non-conventionnal (lot smaller)

Thx u

On 3/14/2023 at 11:50 PM, SorryClaire said:

Yeah it is soldered.

It is not.

On 3/14/2023 at 11:50 PM, SorryClaire said:

You only have SD Card for expansion which is just lame and doesnt match the speed of even HDD in bandwith.

In many comparison tests available online it is shown that there is no tangible difference between SD and SSD for the enduser when loading/playing the games.

Use google

2 minutes ago, rikitikitavi said:

In many comparison tests available online it is shown that there is no tangible difference between SD and SSD for the enduser when loading/playing the games.

Not quite true...

Loading time depends on the game... On SD card it can go from un-noticeable to 2,5x load times versus SSD

The place where it is immediatly noticeable, is download times! Once the SDs cache is filled up, speeds are kind of low...

But in a scenario where you don't compare loading times with a chronometer and actually play games... Speed on SD is not an issue, I have to agree!

If it has been done before, I can do it...

If it has never been done, just leave me some time to find a way!

This thread is mess… 

MacBook Air M1 / Steam Deck

On 3/15/2023 at 2:05 AM, lcfz1986 said:

Question:

It is not soldered and is on a 2230 m2 card that can be replaced. While it is harder than on a full pc, this can be upgraded. iFixit sells upgrade ssds you can buy and had instructions on how to do this. 

On 3/15/2023 at 2:05 AM, lcfz1986 said:

2. does all the version of steam deck (no matter 64gb/256gb/512gb), the performance (cpu/gpu) is the same right?

Other than the storage, frosted screen on the 512gb version and what's in the box, all the models are identical for the rest of the hardware. Game performance on the 64gb emmc version would be identical to the 512gb version. 

I can confirm this as I own both a 512gb one I pre-ordered and a 64gb emmc one that I upgraded to 512 with an aftermarket drive. The second one was bought for a family member. I am waiting to get one if the 2tb cards for mine.