When I upgrade my system, should I go with a Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Ryzen 9 5900X or 5950X

I'm thinking of upgrading my current PC build with a Ryzen 3 3200G sometime this year, as its not doing great in terms of performance for VR Games. I am primarily considering either the 5800X3D or 5900X since they're around the same price. I've heard that the 5800X3D is better for gaming although i also use my PC for some other tasks such as web browsing and light video editing. My motherboard is an Asus X570 Plus (i know its overkill for a Ryzen 3, but thats all I could find in stock during the chip shortage). The 5950X is also a consideration, but its a bit more then id like to spend. I also plan on keeping this build long term (hoping it'll last until at least 2030) and was wondering if the extra cores of the 5900X would be better long term because of its extra cores. Planning on pairing the CPU with 64GB DDR4, and the upcoming Radeon RX 7800/7800 XT. The monitor I have is ultrawide 1080p and 100hz

If your only objective is to play games,  Ryzen 9 is out of the question, at that point you'd just be wasting money.

Extra cores doesn't mean that it will still be a good CPU later, it is for productivity but not for gaming. Current games scale with 6 cores, later it will get to 8 cores, but more than that, games just won't care.

So, go with 5800X3D, and don't waste money on 64GB of RAM, if you don't do anything else other than gaming then 32GB is really the maximum RAM capacity you'd ever need, 16GB is still enough for now.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

12 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

If your only objective is to play games,  Ryzen 9 is out of the question, at that point you'd just be wasting money.

Extra cores doesn't mean that it will still be a good CPU later, it is for productivity but not for gaming. Current games scale with 6 cores, later it will get to 8 cores, but more than that, games just won't care.

So, go with 5800X3D, and don't waste money on 64GB of RAM, if you don't do anything else other than gaming then 32GB is really the maximum RAM capacity you'd ever need, 16GB is still enough for now.

+1, but realistically ANY zen 3 CPU would be a massive upgrade from the 3200G which is under Zen+.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.