Sudden issue with GPU?

ValkyrieVTG

My system ( Asus z370p, i7-8700k, Adata 32Gb ddr4 3200, WD black sn770, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, and a Corsair gold rated PSU that I forget the specs on) has had some issues recently. A few days ago started crashing my destiny 2 (driver crash) but after I relaunched once was fine, today it won’t load in at all or will load in only to crash a few mins later (black screen, monitor loses input then comes back to desktop), after monitor says temps are fine and other charts didn’t seem out of the ordinary (drivers are up to date aswell). Was able to recreate issue on ow2 aswell. Don’t know what is going on.

I'd try booting into Safe Mode and seeing if the issue persists there.

Would also recommend running DDU and reinstalling your drivers.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 10:14 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'd try booting into Safe Mode and seeing if the issue persists there.

Would also recommend running DDU and reinstalling your drivers.

Sorry, have been busy and didnt get around to it for a while. issue didnt occur when i was booted into safe mode, and i ddu`d and reinstalled the latest drivers, it wasnt losing output to monitor for a bit but ran it through a quick heaven run and it started losing output again then coming back a few seconds (probably 5-10) later. im gonna try reseating and resecuring cables (even though the system hasnt moved much aside from me installing a new ssd a while ago).

On 3/13/2023 at 9:08 PM, ValkyrieVTG said:

My system ( Asus z370p, i7-8700k, Adata 32Gb ddr4 3200, WD black sn770, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, and a Corsair gold rated PSU that I forget the specs on) has had some issues recently. A few days ago started crashing my destiny 2 (driver crash) but after I relaunched once was fine, today it won’t load in at all or will load in only to crash a few mins later (black screen, monitor loses input then comes back to desktop), after monitor says temps are fine and other charts didn’t seem out of the ordinary (drivers are up to date aswell). Was able to recreate issue on ow2 aswell. Don’t know what is going on.

Did it start happening right after a windows auto update?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

15 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Did it start happening right after a windows auto update?

No, i dont believe so (will go back and double check) im pretty sure i had an update reminder that i kept delaying when i started troubleshooting. then i updated windows to see if it would fix it.

15 hours ago, Soundbored said:

i ddu`d yesterday, and it is still occuring. i keep my msi afterburning monitoring charts saved and the card isnt overheating based on the charts both in afterburner and hwinfo, it wasnt even reaching temps close to its normal levels during heaven when it starts losing output.

7 hours ago, ValkyrieVTG said:

No, i dont believe so (will go back and double check) im pretty sure i had an update reminder that i kept delaying when i started troubleshooting. then i updated windows to see if it would fix it.

Something generally happens, and knowing what can suggest a solution.  About 905% of the time it’s some sort of software update and about 5% of the time some piece of hardware Gavin in up. Popped cap, something.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

ye, im gonna try and pull any of my files onto a flash drive and see if a fresh windows install will help. just trying to get some other ideas for things to try/possible fixes

3 hours ago, ValkyrieVTG said:

ye, im gonna try and pull any of my files onto a flash drive and see if a fresh windows install will help. just trying to get some other ideas for things to try/possible fixes

You can check "event viewer", under its "administrative events"  tab, as well, and hope it tells you something useful (usually doesn't). Also, try running this in Powershell, see what it says:

sfc /scannow

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

• 1 month later...

An update to this thread,

after looking at dump files most were video tdr failure, one was video memory management internal. Problems still follow the same pattern, though i have been able to essentially restart the cascade by flipping the PSU switch or leaving it unplugged for a short while (Failing PSU/Capacitor?). after reading forum posts and reaching out to others decided to finally fresh install windows, however after wiping the drive that originally had my OS ran into "windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation" on both the intended drive and the other m.2 in the system. 

I recreated the installation media and tried again to the same result, however when i restarted the system i had no display out (which persisted over several restarts), which then went to a brief display out only for it to lose it again. eventually however i persisted and got it back to the install screen where it still wouldn't let me install (i am now aware that other USB peripherals may interfere so i will attempt that as well as removing other drives if need be). The behavior on boot with display issues are new (first time i have seen that behavior) but seems more consistent with a dying GPU but im still hopeful that its not. As secondhand GPUs are so overpriced for their age and new ones are just overpriced in general.