7950x3d cores not being parked?

Go to solution Solved by WereCat,

The XBOX Gamebar should park the cores when it detects game load... which being on desktop is not.

Hey!

I think I've done most of the important things but im a bit unsure if it is working. I'm only looking from the desktop tho, and in the resource monitor not a single core have been seen as parked. Does it only park in games or when it really isn't spreading the load on all the cores?  in bios I've only change ram stuff

I have the latest chipset for it

The power mode is in Balanced

I have xbox game bar on (but im just looking at the desktop now)

AMD Ryzen 7950X3D [x2 360 Rad EKWB] | Asus Extreme x670E | RTX TUF 4090 OC@3GHz [EKWB Block] | Corsair HX1500i | G.Skill Neo CL30 6000MHz (2x32GB) | MP700 2TB Gen5 + 980/950 Pro 1TB M.2 | x6 85PRO 512GB | NAS 4x 18TB Seagate Exo Raid 10+Backblaze | Lian-Li o11D XL | Main Screen: Samsung OLED G9 | AUX: LG IPS7 27" (x2) LG CX 55" G-Sync | Copyright©1996-2024 Teletha All rights reserved. ®

The XBOX Gamebar should park the cores when it detects game load... which being on desktop is not.

ok awesome thanks for the confirmation 

AMD Ryzen 7950X3D [x2 360 Rad EKWB] | Asus Extreme x670E | RTX TUF 4090 OC@3GHz [EKWB Block] | Corsair HX1500i | G.Skill Neo CL30 6000MHz (2x32GB) | MP700 2TB Gen5 + 980/950 Pro 1TB M.2 | x6 85PRO 512GB | NAS 4x 18TB Seagate Exo Raid 10+Backblaze | Lian-Li o11D XL | Main Screen: Samsung OLED G9 | AUX: LG IPS7 27" (x2) LG CX 55" G-Sync | Copyright©1996-2024 Teletha All rights reserved. ®

3 hours ago, Teletha said:

ok awesome thanks for the confirmation 

You also can do that manually simply set affinity from CPU 0 to CPU 15  for each of your game executables (and also set priority to high) 

or even better you could just use the non SMT* cores so CPU0,2,4,,6,8,9,11,13 to reduce the latency even further. 

* actually both e.g CPU 0 and CPU1 are part of core0 and CPU2 and CPU3 part of core1 etc so there is no "hard" distinction but by setting the affinity on one of the "cpus" of a core then the other logical/smt (Given that you dont run anything in the background or that the tasks running in the background e.g antivirus and steam client etc are set with afinity to CPU 16 and up and at normal priority ) thread wont "fire up" 

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2023 at 11:50 AM, Teletha said:

Hey!

I think I've done most of the important things but im a bit unsure if it is working. I'm only looking from the desktop tho, and in the resource monitor not a single core have been seen as parked. Does it only park in games or when it really isn't spreading the load on all the cores?  in bios I've only change ram stuff

I have the latest chipset for it

The power mode is in Balanced

I have xbox game bar on (but im just looking at the desktop now)

I've done a ton of testing with my 7950x3D and running it with the 'prefer cache' setting is just far better than leaving it in auto and/or as 'prefer driver' expecting the driver to properly control it. It can be a pain to find, but its worth running.

Its also supposed to dynamically enable cores as needed, so background tasks or whatever application you're running, if it exceeds the capacity of CCD0, it'll unpark the cores. Its smarter than I expected overall, but I'm not sure if reviewers were properly modifying the firmware outside of techpowerup.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

8 hours ago, Agall said:

I've done a ton of testing with my 7950x3D and running it with the 'prefer cache' setting is just far better than leaving it in auto and/or as 'prefer driver' expecting the driver to properly control it. It can be a pain to find, but its worth running.

Its also supposed to dynamically enable cores as needed, so background tasks or whatever application you're running, if it exceeds the capacity of CCD0, it'll unpark the cores. Its smarter than I expected overall, but I'm not sure if reviewers were properly modifying the firmware outside of techpowerup.

But doesn't ccd1 have higher clocks which is beter for other applications? Where is the prefer cache setting? Is it in bios? 

5 hours ago, Teletha said:

But doesn't ccd1 have higher clocks which is beter for other applications? Where is the prefer cache setting? Is it in bios? 

If you're just gaming, I'd use prefer cache. If you're using it for productivity, I'd just have a 7950x instead. If you do both equally or lightly game, I'd use the auto or prefer driver setting.

The algorithm that AMD designed is more than just the driver, there's components in the UEFI that dictate based on CPU amperage and RAM usage that'll detect whether its a high power application or not. If it'll benefit from having more than 8c/16t, then it'll turn on the 2nd CCD. The 2nd CCD will also dynamically unpark.

Your motherboard should have more features available to it as well for you to dial it in.

Another thing I just realized is the 'prefer cache' mode dynamically removes the 3D v-cache performance optimizer driver. So if that's something you don't trust to prioritize the 3D v-cache CCD, then 'prefer cache' mode basically negates it. It doesn't uninstall it or anything, it just removes it from the 'system devices' when you're not using the driver in the UEFI.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017