Big problem with gigabyte gaming laptop

So this problem is really bugging me so far. 

I acquired a Gigabyte aorus 5 se4 laptop over a month ago (https://tinyurl.com/yc4k38e5). I hadn't bothered comparing benchmarks of the laptop with similar models but I was satisfied with the performance. GPU works good as a twig. However i had read about multiple issues regarding gigabyte bios based on the same information that I read, I decided to stick with the bios that the laptop had shipped with (FB05/ FB06) 

Recently I ran a cinebench r23 multicore benchmark on my laptop. according to online sources the i7-12700h should score somewhere in the range of 16000-16900. People have mentioned in the forums that gigabyte's pathetic bios limits these scores however their scores haven't been below 14000. the first time I ran a multicore bench on my laptop and it managed to barely score 10000. I did some digging and found out that the latest bios did offer some performance so i updated my bios to FB0E. I ran the benchmark again and it managed to creep upto 11.2k. Keep in mind that I had replicated the exact settings that the people of the forums had suggested when they got higher scores. I ran a single core benchmark too and again it scored a shoddy 1500 compared to the average 1800~~ benchmark. 

This is my first major 'gaming' device and frankly a bit scared. Haven't changed a single thing in the bios, all the voltages are the same. what should I do? (PS I ran the benchmark a couple of times and messed with the ambient temperature too and the results didn't vary much) 

benchmark.jpg

54 minutes ago, Jai_2501 said:

This is my first major 'gaming' device and frankly a bit scared

That's likely just the laptop then. The power delivery likely is underpowered, holding the laptop back, with cooling possibly hampering it even further at high, sustained loads.
Laptops tend to be lying (well, not in a legal sense - I think) when it comes to the components and expected performance, my Laptops "GTX 1060" performed about on par with my desktops GTX 750Ti.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

26 minutes ago, Bismut said:

That's likely just the laptop then. The power delivery likely is underpowered, holding the laptop back, with cooling possibly hampering it even further at high, sustained loads.
Laptops tend to be lying (well, not in a legal sense - I think) when it comes to the components and expected performance, my Laptops "GTX 1060" performed about on par with my desktops GTX 750Ti.

Laptop gpus are obviously not anywhere near their desktop counterparts but I never had a problem with the gpu to begin with....it works well. My laptop isn't able to get the same score as people with the same laptop let alone default cpu configuration. Pretty sure power delivery and stuff is constant for all?

3 hours ago, Jai_2501 said:

Pretty sure power delivery and stuff is constant for all?

Should be, but it's the only explanation I could come up with. You aren't running a ton of apps in the background or the laptop in a warm environment, right? (What exactly does "messed with the ambient temperature" entail?)

3 hours ago, Jai_2501 said:

I never had a problem with the gpu to begin with

Oh okay, I took "good as a twig" to be negative.

Trans Rights!

7 hours ago, Bismut said:

Should be, but it's the only explanation I could come up with. You aren't running a ton of apps in the background or the laptop in a warm environment, right? (What exactly does "messed with the ambient temperature" entail?)

Oh okay, I took "good as a twig" to be negative.

Whenever I ran the bench the only 2 things open were gcc (gigabyte co trol centre) along with Msi afterburner to monitor clocks along with nvidia background apps. My first few benches I ran were at an ambient temperature of 25 C but I reduced that to 20 C for my next bench although the thermals before and after were relatively the same so I don’t think that’s at play. 

14 minutes ago, Jai_2501 said:

Whenever I ran the bench the only 2 things open were gcc (gigabyte co trol centre) along with Msi afterburner to monitor clocks along with nvidia background apps. My first few benches I ran were at an ambient temperature of 25 C but I reduced that to 20 C for my next bench although the thermals before and after were relatively the same so I don’t think that’s at play. 

That is odd, 25°C isn't hot and even the crappiest of RGB software shouldn't tank performance that much. I would consider contacting Gigabyte and asking what causes that behaviour if it persists, the performance degredation could be caused by some shenanigans Windows was doing in the background.

Trans Rights!

• 3 months later...

I have an Aorus 15 XE4 and I have also read that the bios probably limits performance. Please update me on any advice to maximize performance. Thermals on this laptop are not the problem most of the time as it has big vents and perform very well thermally.