Need an advice for fan placement

rxtr113t
Go to solution Solved by Poinkachu,
18 minutes ago, rxtr113t said:

But If I mount the aio on the side mount as intake all it's warm air would rush stright thro the entire case alternatively top mounting would suck hot air from the gpu but it's also closer to the back exhaust. 

Now I'm confused as to what is the better plan 😅

If you mount AIO on top, it will use air that has mostly been used to cool other parts to cool the coolant.

If you mount AIO at front / side as intake, it will use fresh air to cool the coolant, everybody else inside the case gets the leftover.

If an AIO on top meaning it will suck hot air from GPU, then 3 fans on top would as well, in fact it might be even better at it due to no AIO radiator restricting the airflow.

If you mount at front/side then add additional intake fans at front/side, it will add more fresh air inside the case.

Now the question is, which one will be hotter and harder to cool in your system. CPU or GPU, in which I can't say for sure since I live in different place, nor do I have a RTX40.

If your CPU is doing fine thermally with AIO mounted on top, then go ahead use top, no one's gonna sue you for it. 🤣

If it's not, then you can try the alternative. Front or Side mounting.

Too much intake and not enough exhaust = Hot air lingers too long inside the case and gets reused a lot.
Too much exhaust and not enough intake = not enough supply of fresh air inside the case to be utilized.

We find the middle ground and then nudge it a bit toward positive / negative pressure.

I said to try it as is first because it's silly to buy, let's say... 5 more fans in advance for a something that might not happen at all.

That PC case have a lot of cooling placement which you can try later, kinda pointless to theorize before the stuffs arives and you can do a real life test.

Hot pockets will happen here and there but most often won't cause major issue, which IMHO the only solution for it is to use an open bench case. or Take off the side panel.

If that case and the cooling options it has is not enough to cool your system due to climate, then most likely your options is either open bench case or custom watercooling.

Fan configuration help

I'm planning a new pc build,
  already ordered and meticulously picked all the components and I neglected to think about the case fans.

My case would be corsair 5000D and it comes with a default 2 fans ,1 in the center of the front grill (which has room for 3 120mm or 2 140mm) and 1 at the back of the case.

My question is would it matter if I mix different kind of fans with the included once ? I was thinking of leaving the default fans and add 2 more on the front (Antec Storm P12 PWM Fan 120cm those are the fans i have laying around that i want to add).

And one more thing,

the case has space for side mounting of 3 more fans that I don't know If i should use them, don't know if they'll do more harm then good because they're very close to the front fans.

I9 13900k with deepcool lt720 (  top mount ) 

The gpu is 4070ti  msi gaming x trio so I expect it to be a furnace under load 🙂

Any help is appreciated. 

A link for the case for better context: https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Mid-Tower-ATX-Cases/5000D-AIRFLOW-Tempered-Glass-Mid-Tower-ATX-PC-Case/p/CC-9011211-WW

8 minutes ago, rxtr113t said:

Fan configuration help

already ordered and meticulously picked all the components and I neglected to think about the case fans.

My case would be corsair 5000D and it comes with a default 2 fans ,1 in the center of the front grill (which has room for 3 120mm or 2 140mm) and 1 at the back of the case.

My question is would it matter if I mix different kind of fans with the included once ? I was thinking of leaving the default fans and add 2 more on the front (Antec Storm P12 PWM Fan 120cm those are the fans i have laying around that i want to add).

And one more thing,

the case has space for side mounting of 3 more fans that I don't know If i should use them, don't know if they'll do more harm then good because they're very close to the front fans.

Any help is appreciated. 

A link for the case for better context: https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Mid-Tower-ATX-Cases/5000D-AIRFLOW-Tempered-Glass-Mid-Tower-ATX-PC-Case/p/CC-9011211-WW

Mix-matching won't really matter.

Although, depending on the kinda connector those Corsair fans come with, you might not be able to plug the new fans into the included corsair controller.

Saying this because Corsair is notorious for using proprietary connector.

We kinda need to know what CPU & GPU you are trying to cool, and what kinda CPU cooler you plan to use, but :

Just test with 3 front fans and 1 exhaust first and see if your thermal is fine, if not you can always add more intake / exhaust later.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

2 minutes ago, rxtr113t said:

Fan configuration help

And one more thing,

the case has space for side mounting of 3 more fans that I don't know I should use them, don't know if they'll do more harm then good because they're very close to the front fans.

Any help is appreciated. 

You don't really need more than 1-2 intake fans and 1 exhaust for most build as long as the fans are good high airflow fans. If you want some RGB then buy 2 new front fans.  You can mix and match fans no problem, just use the different cha_fan headers on your motherboard. If you use two of the same you can use a splitter into 1 fan connector.  PWM means you can control the fan speed through software so you can get an optimized system with lower noise.

2 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Won't really matter.

We kinda need to know what CPU & GPU you are trying to cool, but :

Just test with 3 front fans and 1 exhaust first and see if your thermal is fine, if not you can always add more intake / exhaust later.

I9 13900k with deepcool lt720 (when it arrives I plan to top mount it) 

The gpu is 4070ti  msi gaming x trio so I expect it to be a furnace under load 🙂

3 minutes ago, rxtr113t said:

I9 13900k with deepcool lt720 (when it arrives I plan to top mount it) 

Well, try 3 fans intake with 3 fans of the AIO as exhaust first, then add exhaust / intake if it's not enough (it should be enough).

Alternatively you can put the AIO in front as intake to cool the CPU better, or

put it on the side panel as intake if there is enough room for an AIO as well.

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

6 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

You don't really need more than 1-2 intake fans and 1 exhaust for most build as long as the fans are good high airflow fans. If you want some RGB then buy 2 new front fans.  You can mix and match fans no problem, just use the different cha_fan headers on your motherboard. If you use two of the same you can use a splitter into 1 fan connector.  PWM means you can control the fan speed through software so you can get an optimized system with lower noise.

I expect the pc to get really hot as I both live in a warm climate and as for the high end specs

(

I9 13900k with deepcool lt720 (top mount) and 4070ti

)

My fear is that the fans won't push air evenly and that would cause "warm pockets" of air when turbulence would form.

That's why I also asked if the side mounting of fans would interfere or not.

6 minutes ago, rxtr113t said:

I expect the pc to get really hot as I both live in a warm climate and as for the high end specs

(

I9 13900k with deepcool lt720 (top mount) and 4070ti

)

My fear is that the fans won't push air evenly and that would cause "warm pockets" of air when turbulence would form.

That's why I also asked if the side mounting of fans would interfere or not.

You're worrying about something that might not happen.

DoA GPU / CPU / AIO / Motherboard / RAM have a bigger possibility of happening than what you are worrying.

Just try what I said first, then figure out the solution later if there's a problem with thermal.
Switching AIO location or adding/reducing fans is not hard to do.

If your fear is about you can't use your PC if thermal is bad, you can, just that it will throttle until you solve the thermal issue.

If that case and that kinda setup is not enough to cool due to climate, then most likely your only solution is to go custom watercooling.

Refresh before you reply

6 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Well, try 3 fans intake with 3 fans of the AIO as exhaust first, then add exhaust / intake if it's not enough (it should be enough).

Alternatively you can put the AIO in front as intake to cool the CPU better, or

put it on the side panel as intake if there is enough room for an AIO as well.

But If I mount the aio on the side mount as intake all it's warm air would rush stright thro the entire case alternatively top mounting would suck hot air from the gpu but it's also closer to the back exhaust. 

2 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

You're worrying about something that might not happen.

DoA GPU / CPU / AIO / Motherboard / RAM have a bigger possibility of happening than what you are worrying.

Just try what I said first, then figure out the solution later if there's a problem with thermal.
Switching AIO location or adding/reducing fans is not hard to do.

If your fear is about you can't use your PC if thermal is bad, you can, just that it will throttle until you solve the thermal issue.

Ok I'll try , thank you very much for the advices.

18 minutes ago, rxtr113t said:

If you mount AIO on top, it will use air that has mostly been used to cool other parts to cool the coolant.

If you mount AIO at front / side as intake, it will use fresh air to cool the coolant, everybody else inside the case gets the leftover.

If an AIO on top meaning it will suck hot air from GPU, then 3 fans on top would as well, in fact it might be even better at it due to no AIO radiator restricting the airflow.

If you mount at front/side then add additional intake fans at front/side, it will add more fresh air inside the case.

Now the question is, which one will be hotter and harder to cool in your system. CPU or GPU, in which I can't say for sure since I live in different place, nor do I have a RTX40.

If your CPU is doing fine thermally with AIO mounted on top, then go ahead use top, no one's gonna sue you for it. 🤣

Too much intake and not enough exhaust = Hot air lingers too long inside the case and gets reused a lot.
Too much exhaust and not enough intake = not enough supply of fresh air inside the case to be utilized.

We find the middle ground and then nudge it a bit toward positive / negative pressure.

I said to try it as is first because it's silly to buy, let's say... 5 more fans in advance for a something that might not happen at all.

That PC case have a lot of cooling placement which you can try later, kinda pointless to theorize before the stuffs arives and you can do a real life test.

Hot pockets will happen here and there but most often won't cause major issue, which IMHO the only solution for it is to use an open bench case. or Take off the side panel.

If that case and the cooling options it has is not enough to cool your system due to climate, then most likely your options is either open bench case or custom watercooling.

Refresh before you reply

21 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Thank you for the thoughtful explanation, you're right tho I have a tendency to over think things and I think micromanagement fan placement before I even got the case is too much 😄  

1 minute ago, rxtr113t said:

Thank you for the thoughtful explanation, you're right tho I have a tendency to over think things and I think micromanagement fan placement before I even got the case is too much 😄  

I can relate, I used to be like that.

Refresh before you reply