Where to install Windows 10/11

Athill

Hi,

I plan to build new PC and I am wondering on which drive I should reinstall my Windows.
Currently I have Windows 10 pro but plan to upgrade to Windows 11 in the future (can't do that now because my current PC doesn't have TPM 2.0 module).
Currently I have a free SSD Sata drive:
ADATA SP550 120 GB
and plan to buy M.2 NVME: 
ADATA LEGEND 960 2TB

So I was thinking that I could just use whole SATA drive as system drive and then I don't need to divide NVME drive into partitions and I can use it whole for games. 
Can maybe someone give me some insight if this is good idea or should I rather install OS on NVME drive?  

If this is important, then system will be used mostly for gaming.
Also, I will have some HDD Sata drives for storage and/or older games.

I'd put it on the 120GB drive, then have the full 2TB NVMe for fast storage and the HDDs for slower storage.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

27 minutes ago, Athill said:

can't do that now because my current PC doesn't have TPM 2.0 module

As long as you have secure boot support on your chipset (which most of them have) and your CPU is made in the last 8 years, your CPU supports virtual TPM. You dont need full blown TPM 2 SoC to run Windows 11.

27 minutes ago, Athill said:

Currently I have a free SSD Sata drive:
ADATA SP550 120 GB
and plan to buy M.2 NVME: 
ADATA LEGEND 960 2TB

Itll be fine to install to SATA drive, and then clone said install to another drive. You gonna need to remember to direct the boot to said NVME ssd. 

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Thanks for both answers.

Judging by 2nd the answer, I might have been not specific enough.

5 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

As long as you have secure boot support on your chipset (which most of them have) and your CPU is made in the last 8 years, your CPU supports virtual TPM. You dont need full blown TPM 2 SoC to run Windows 11.

Itll be fine to install to SATA drive, and then clone said install to another drive. You gonna need to remember to direct the boot to said NVME ssd. 

I will have both of the drives during reinstallation so I am talking about permanent solution, not temporary one. 
I just wonder if there will be a noticeable difference when I install Windows on SATA SSD compared to NVME SSD.

Also regarding TPM, I have Intel i5 3rd gen CPU so I don't think it supports virtual TPM.