LMG forbids their workers from discussing wages, not just with outsiders but even amongst each other. Clarification needed.

Omni-Owl
20 minutes ago, Ripred said:

Should be obvious, you present them with what the going average for said position is paying, what companies in the area are offering and you expect to be withing that range or better, unless they have a lucrative benefits package that makes up for the loss you'll be taking in compensation

lol, how would they know if half of the employers do not even post their salary and forbid people from discussing them?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

26 minutes ago, wasab said:

they can easily say something like we dont know what to pay you until you do the all the interviews and we examine your qualification

Even if a company is honest a noble in there doings, this statement dose not mean they're trying to low ball you, would you make a top dollar offer on a negotiable priced product without first inspecting it or testing, such as a car or house? no that's ridiculous

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

8 minutes ago, Ripred said:

Even if a company is honest a noble in there doings, this statement dose not mean they're trying to low ball you, would you make a top dollar offer on a negotiable priced product without first inspecting it or testing, such as a car or house? no that's ridiculous

lets get this straight, if you tell them your bottom line for salary expectation, what stops them from still low balling you at the last second?

worse case if they dont low ball you, you dont accept the offer. the worst case they low ball you. you dont accept the offer. 

the best case they low ball you, you accept the offer at below market rate because you have no information on salary or they pressure/took away your chance of seeking alternative opportunity. the best case they dont low ball you, you accept the offer at the market rate

win win for coproation in all aspects of game theory calculus. for the hosues, yeah, the buyer of the house gets good deal if you accept the low ball offer but corporation are not people. who cares? Will it improve the society and the working family general welfare if corporation made more money at your expense? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 minutes ago, wasab said:

lol, how would they know if half of the employers do not even post their salary and forbid people from discussing them?

Now were being silly, to say that these companies are not in the know of what each other are doing, come now, do you really believe competing companies don't know the average base pay each other are offering for similar positions, especially when plants are within reasonable driving distance of each other? if you believe that I'm sorry to say but you are already being taken for a ride by your current employment situation, and you have no idea, id put out some resumes if I were you

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

4 minutes ago, Ripred said:

Now were being silly, to say that these companies are not in the know of what each other are doing, come now, do you really believe competing companies don't know the average base pay each other are offering for similar positions, especially when plants are within reasonable driving distance of each other? if you believe that I'm sorry to say but you are already being taken for a ride by your current employment situation, and you have no idea, id put out some resumes if I were you

companies do, not the job seekers. reread my posts. i did okay for my salary neogitation. no need for you to assume complete nonsense. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

6 minutes ago, wasab said:

the best case they low ball you, you accept the offer at below market rate because you have no information on salary or they pressure/took away your chance of seeking alternative opportunity. the best case they dont low ball you, you accept the offer at the market rate

How in the world would they take away your chance of seeking better opportunity? it doesn't matter if you accept their offer and are there for a day or a year, you can and should always pursue better opportunities, I don't care if I love my company, I always keep my ears open for opportunity as everyone should 

How in the world would they take away your chance of seeking better opportunity? it doesn't matter if you accept their offer and are there for a day or a year, you can and should always pursue better opportunities, I don't care if I love my company, I always keep my ears open for opportunity as everyone should 

because you dont know the salary or pressure into accepting out of ignorance or high pressure tactics before you can look for better opporunities. very easily doable if all companies use shady tactics. this is why i argue for wage transparency.  

it doesn't matter if you accept their offer and are there for a day or a year, you can and should always pursue better opportunities,

didnt i already point out depsite the counter offer or new opporuntity in a year or two, the opporuntity cost of underpayment? why are you reiterating the same points i had counter arguments for? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

i guess if they can take away candidates time from other interviews and say something like you will need to give us a response before tommorrow and xyz, they might be able to pressure the candidates into accepting the offer before they can find better and alternative competing offer. This is easily doable if all the companies pratice the shady tactics of not telling the salary to their candidates. 

also point #2

Employees have the ability to bring up remuneration early in the process, and can find other potential employers if they don't like what they hear.

This isn't a valid excuse and you seem to be clutching at straws trying to say it takes their time away from other interviews.

Again, employees have to accept the job.  If you don't like the terms, don't accept.

14 minutes ago, Ripred said:

Potential employers aren't going to look fondly upon prospective employees that leave jobs too quickly, as it presents a risk to them that you will leave and their investment in training/etc you will be negative.

If you work for a company for one day and leave for a higher wage, that isn't good.  If you work for a company for a day, and find out they have unsafe practices and quit, you can explain that in an interview in a way that doesn't make you look bad.

Just now, ToboRobot said:

Potential employers aren't going to look fondly upon prospective employees that leave jobs too quickly, as it presents a risk to them that you will leave and their investment in training/etc you will be negative.

If you work for a company for one day and leave for a higher wage, that isn't good.  If you work for a company for a day, and find out they have unsafe practices and quit, you can explain that in an interview in a way that doesn't make you look bad.

I'm aware of that and always practice a good employment history, I was just making the point that there's no way at any time any company can prevent you from seeking better opportunity's though my example was a little extreme

19 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Employees have the ability to bring up remuneration early in the process, and can find other potential employers if they don't like what they hear.

here is the problem. what happens if all employers you are interviewing do not have wage transparency and all low ball you? You will need to do your own research to get a feel for the rate and if there is no transparency of wages, you are in a very bad spot at this front and will in fact need to lie about your other offers in order to negotiate up the rate. 

16 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

This isn't a valid excuse and you seem to be clutching at straws trying to say it takes their time away from other interviews.

that is not the point. the point is wasting your time and hoping you will accept offer before better alternative is available. if you give up on an interview, no chance you will accept their offer. if you dont give up on the interveiw, they have a chance to low ball you into accepting before an alternative is available. the possibility of taking away your time from others interviews is just cherry on top.

16 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

yeah that isnt good but depends on the companies. most have trial period, especially for positions with high turn over. people can go or be let go within a day or so. this is fairly normal for such positions. for higher position like management or skilled positions, it takes both time to hire and find work. the incentive is for both employer and job seeker to hire/accept offer as quick as they can and then deal with the aftermath. for employer, they can easily counteroffer if the employees does want to leave and get as much as they can out of negoating down the salary until then and for employee, it is about having an income as much as they can until they find a better position. neither cases contradict my point that if you want to underpay someone, withhold salalry information, if you want happy employees who wont leave, give salary information. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Everyone here is sharing opinions no one is going to read and I feel left out by not posting something here no one is gonna read. 

There... Now I'm cool and fitting in with the group. 

I believe this is the first time posting in a while, however, I need to make this comment coming from a third world country, were there are no rules that forbids the employer from forcing the employee not to speak about the salary and this is my take away.

- Employees will talk about their salary regardless of the rules placed by the employer.

- They might use that information to their advantage at the time of negotiating a raise, not by letting the employer know that they know but rather by negotiating with the knowledge of how they stack against other people in the market.

Regardless of what the contract or the employee guidelines state, in this date and age, no one can really know if you speak about you wage, unless the other party go and spill the beans about, or you're dumb enough to let the employer know that you actually spoke about with someone.

On another note. IF this is really stipulated in contract and you sign it, that means that you didn't care enough at the moment of signing it to just walk out, and IF they are that disgruntled, they can just file a complaint, but is hard when people are afraid to put a name and address to their complaint. 

I'm sorry if this was already posted (I got bored after the 5th page), employees are not allowed to be forced to not talk about their wages/salary in BC, https://www.bclaws.gov.bc.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/96244_01#section8, so if they are really that disgruntled, just make an official complain.

1 hour ago, kill_samurai said:

On another note. IF this is really stipulated in contract and you sign it, that means that you didn't care enough at the moment of signing it to just walk out, and IF they are that disgruntled, they can just file a complaint, but is hard when people are afraid to put a name and address to their complaint. 

This is overly simplified. There are reasons a person may accept an unfavorable deal that go beyond "not caring enough in the moment" that are related to socio-economic factors.

It's not always that simple. Mostly there are complex and layered reasons for why a person would accept an unfavorable offer.

I guess this is one "good" ish thing of working in the federal public sector. All of our wages are public knowledge, it's posted in plain sight by Treasury Board.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

• 2 weeks later...

While the initial thread legitimately sounded like some disgruntled employee taking the piss on the subreddit for not being treated like a god on his first job, LTT's friendly work environment kind of took a hit in my eyes after seeing the response from the 2nd last WAN show about their policy to suppress talking about employee wages.

I find it pretty disingenuous to dog on the US about their union halting while simultaneously preventing employees from sharing their salaries. Even the US has banned employers from preventing employees from doing so. The practice not only fosters an environment of secrecy and mistrust but deeply helps perpetuate pay inequality

As a Canadian I also find it pretty disingenuous that Linus dunked on the states for their union hindering mechanisms when the federal Canadian government themselves passed legislation to end the Montreal Dock workers strike.

This was reacted to by Louis Rossman and Joshua Fluke and I'm surprised to not have seen any response back from the source itself.

No.  In fact the very next WAN show instead of addressing it they just kept saying "it's been a boring week with no news."  Linus is determined to ignore his anti worker stances. 

@Some Random Canuck I have merged your thread into the existing thread surrounding this topic. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

6 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

@Some Random Canuck I have merged your thread into the existing thread surrounding this topic. 

Thank you very much, apologies for not having seen it.

20 hours ago, IRMacGuyver said:

No.  In fact the very next WAN show instead of addressing it they just kept saying "it's been a boring week with no news."  Linus is determined to ignore his anti worker stances. 

That might be true, but it might also be true that it is a delicate topic with legal implications. He has repeatedly avoided talking about HR issues on the WAN show due to the legal issues that that entails.

5 minutes ago, bracco23 said:

That might be true, but it might also be true that it is a delicate topic with legal implications. He has repeatedly avoided talking about HR issues on the WAN show due to the legal issues that that entails.

Then maybe they should get PR to do it?

21 hours ago, bracco23 said:

While I can't speak for the OP, I'm more targeting LTT's open anti-employee policies.
Forbidding wage discussion is MASSIVELY anti-employee. It's so bad that even USA of all countries made it illegal. It's even more so crappy considering Linus' often holier-than-thou attitude about the Linus Media Group workplace. It's sad to see a corporation that is only alive because of contributors like you and I be so against basic employee ethics that are important to us normal everyday people.

I've seen their jobs as I'm all ears on the job market and they're the "Avoid at all cost 101" jobs in Software Development. So it's not like I didn't expect some shenanigans.

Take this job ad for a Junior Software Developer for example. The job literally screams "We want an experienced intermediate dev willing to work overtime with scripting experience but we only want to pay a junior salary" while simultaneously being barren of relevant common information.

This seems to be about not being allowed to talk to wages, not allowing for WFH, and low pay for the area that the employer is in.

6 hours ago, Artiszan said:

This seems to be about not being allowed to talk to wages, not allowing for WFH, and low pay for the area that the employer is in.

Is there any new information in that video, or is it yet another member of the peanut gallery reading the Reddit post (and/or another 'news' blog article that read the Reddit post) and making assumptions?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

edit: deleted my post as I thought a new post would bring new light into it considering CAMELOT331 did a video about it and was upload yesterday, not last month.

My PC Specs: Corsair HAF XB Case - i5 3570K CPU @ 4.2 GHz - Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt Motherboard - 16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600 MHz (4 x 4GB) RAM - Corsair Enthusiast TX650M 650W PSU - Nvidia GT 520 1GB Video Card (Upgrading Soon) - Samsung 840 250GB SSD (Boot + Some Programs) - Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA3 HDD (Main Storage) - Hitachi 250GB Laptop HDD (Recording Storage, old HDD) - Hitachi 320GB HDD (Random Storage, old HDD) - Asus PB238Q 23" LCD IPS Monitor (Main) - Acer AL2017 20" LCD Monitor (Secondary) - Logitech Z623 Computer Speaker - Blue Snowball Microphone - Logitech K120 Keyboard - Lenovo Mouse