LMG forbids their workers from discussing wages, not just with outsiders but even amongst each other. Clarification needed.

Omni-Owl
27 minutes ago, Omni-Owl said:

Right but then why is it every time these things comes up it's a workplace that unionises not an industry? We have recent examples like Starbucks workers in a single location, for example. Or game developers at single locations. It's just so very strange.

Because there isn't a union for baristas?  I don't know.  I guess someone could make a union for all baristas everywhere here.  I've never been in a union and, frankly, never want to.

I forgot to mention the UAW (auto workers union).  There are some huge unions in the U.S.  

21 hours ago, Erioch said:

Because there isn't a union for baristas?  I don't know.  I guess someone could make a union for all baristas everywhere here.  I've never been in a union and, frankly, never want to.

I forgot to mention the UAW (auto workers union).  There are some huge unions in the U.S.  

There should be multiple unions (plural) for service workers

22 hours ago, Omni-Owl said:

Right but then why is it every time these things comes up it's a workplace that unionises not an industry? We have recent examples like Starbucks workers in a single location, for example. Or game developers at single locations. It's just so very strange.

https://www.ufcw.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=33083&Itemid=2524&lang=en

13 minutes ago, Omni-Owl said:

I said NA which is all of North America. Not just Canada.

https://www.ufcw.org/

The United Food and Commercial Workers International Union (UFCW) is a labor union made up of 1.3 million hard-working men and women in the U.S. and Canada.

7 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

https://www.ufcw.org/

The United Food and Commercial Workers International Union (UFCW) is a labor union made up of 1.3 million hard-working men and women in the U.S. and Canada.

Probably should have led with that then instead of UFCW Canada. 😛
Anyway, if that exists why would Starbucks workers have to unionize separately instead of joining UFCW?

6 minutes ago, Omni-Owl said:

Probably should have led with that then instead of UFCW Canada. 😛

I'm Canadian, sorry.

If you view unions as a business, and they compete for market share, maybe it will make more sense.

If true, that's kinda wild, in the UK joining a union is actively encouraged, suppose it's a cultural difference

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

BC actually introduced a piece of legislation about Pay Transparency which, if passed through the legislature, would make the clause about forcing you to keep your wage information private illegal.

Bill 13:

https://globalnews.ca/news/9533867/bc-pay-transparency-legislation-gender-pay-gap/

The province has introduced new legislation requiring employers to include salary ranges on job postings, and banning employers from asking applicants for pay history information.

employers will also not be allowed to punish employees who disclose their pay to co-workers or potential job applicants.

A few of the important bits of the legislation. This is incredibly good news for worker rights, and is a win for all workers in BC. Cross your fingers and hope the legislation passes.

There's also some information about gender pay gap stuff - I assume LMG already pays equally regardless of gender, so I doubt that will have much impact on them, but there will be some new requirements:

In addition, B.C. employers will gradually be required to publicly post reports on their gender pay gap.

and all employers with over 50 employees will be required to by November 2026.

So LMG has well over 50 employees now (Possibly upwards of 100+ employees) - so they'll be required to publicly post reports on gender pay gaps by November 2026. Hopefully their reports are a simple "They're paid the same, as per this data".

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 hours ago, Some Random Canuck said:

Weeks later still radio silence, bump.

Didn't you watch the video where Linus is venturing in Potato farming? No discussion of wage is allowed in the farm. The workers are also in extremely poor working condition. You'd be mad about it. 

On 4/6/2023 at 10:57 PM, crazzp said:

Didn't you watch the video where Linus is venturing in Potato farming? No discussion of wage is allowed in the farm. The workers are also in extremely poor working condition. You'd be mad about it. 

I try not to take April fools jokes as serious as some others, I guess.