Ryzen 3000-series and Samsung A-die...

Hey all, what's everyone's experience with Samsung A-die and Ryzen (specifically 3000-series or even more specific, 3700X)? 

Recently went from a set of 2x8GB 3200MHz Micron Rev.E to 2x16GB A-die 3200MHz kit. Sadly, couldn't find any 2x16GB non A-die kits (that weren't £150-200) so went for some LPX. Annoyingly, it's not stable with the 3200MHz XMP profile or 3000, 2933 or even 2800MHz. Gave up for now so it's sitting at 2133MHz, which is at least stable (but is less than ideal when an 8 year old kit can run at a higher speed).

I guess it's just feels a bit weird when your set of dinosaur Micron 8Gbit Rev.A would be happy overclocked at 2933/CL16 (99% stability, was happier at 2800MHz) meanwhile the Rev.E kit happily sat at 3600/CL15.
For reference, this is with AEGSA V2 1.2.0.7

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:
Hey all, what's everyone's experience with Samsung A-die and Ryzen (specifically 3000-series or even more specific, 3700X)? 

Recently went from a set of 2x8GB 3200MHz Micron Rev.E to 2x16GB A-die 3200MHz kit. Sadly, couldn't find any 2x16GB non A-die kits (that weren't £150-200) so went for some LPX. Annoyingly, it's not stable with the 3200MHz XMP profile or 3000, 2933 or even 2800MHz. Gave up for now so it's sitting at 2133MHz, which is at least stable (but is less than ideal when an 8 year old kit can run at a higher speed).

I guess it's just feels a bit weird when your set of dinosaur Micron 8Gbit Rev.A would be happy overclocked at 2933/CL16 (99% stability, was happier at 2800MHz) meanwhile the Rev.E kit happily sat at 3600/CL15.
For reference, this is with AEGSA V2 1.2.0.7

Not all cas 16 is created equal. Zen2 is supposed to be not that caring of nonQVL memory but that doesn’t seem to be true in this case.  I’m wondering what the other three numbers are on that cas16.  Memory makers have been scamming users lately with “cas16” stuff that is effectively cas20 or even 22.  You may have gotten some of that. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

30 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Not all cas 16 is created equal. Zen2 is supposed to be not that caring of nonQVL memory but that doesn’t seem to be true in this case.  I’m wondering what the other three numbers are on that cas16.  Memory makers have been scamming users lately with “cas16” stuff that is effectively cas20 or even 22.  You may have gotten some of that. 

When I was running 3700xI bought 3000Mhz cas 16 and ran that stuff 3200Mhz cas 14 (don't ask about voltage) that $*** ran stable

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

While that doesn't answer your question directly, i don't understand why you didn't go 3200 trident Z? there are really cheap kits (around 100 iirc) and i think they're pretty much guaranteed to work, no matter the "die".

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

While that doesn't answer your question directly, i don't understand why you didn't go 3200 trident Z? there are really cheap kits (around 100 iirc) and i think they're pretty much guaranteed to work, no matter the "die".

Myself I’ve had a hard time finding that without rgb stupidity on it.  The trick these days seems to be finding decent memory that isn’t like an inch and a half tall with rgb idiocy on the top.  Maybe buy some and rip the plastic “heat sink” off so it will fit in a computer with a decent sized air cooler.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

As bomb has mentioned, there's the RGB issue (SFF build so height does matter) and also, they were £140 kits at the time. For maybe £10 more, I could have just went for some binned B-die kits (or even "old-new stock" 4000MHz Ballstix Max for £20 more) 

And for reference, I picked the 2x16GB LPX up for £55. I mean I was fully expecting A-die to be worse but come on, at least it should be able to run at XMP speeds. I guess there was also the off chance that it had been sitting in a warehouse for a while and would actually be micron Rev.B or E. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :)