Nexus 7 vs Dell Venue 8 Pro

Hey Guys!  :lol: 

So I am buying a tablet, and I'm deciding between two tablets the Nexus 7 & Dell Venue 8 Pro.

So this is pretty much gonna be a gift for me from my parents so the price doesn't matter too much.

Now this is gonna be a tablet that I'm gonna be taking to school, to which I drive by train...so I have a lot of free time before I can drive back home etc.

So, I would just like your opinion on which one I should get. In one way the Nexus would e better, because it could be just more fun to use, but the Dell has a full Windows 8.1 on it, so it would be awesome for some 'light' work. So, what do you guys think? :D

Nexus 7: http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Google-7-Inch-Black-Tablet/dp/B00DVFLJKQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399406634&sr=8-2&keywords=nexus+7

Dell Venue 8 Pro: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Venue-Pro-Tablet-Windows/dp/B00FFVYV4K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1399406615&sr=8-4&keywords=windows+tablet

I would actually say a windows surface rt or sirface two if your budget isn't really limited. It's worth it.

Diamond 5 in League :)

I would actually say a windows surface rt or sirface two if your budget isn't really limited. It's worth it.

Yea...but I think it's kinda to big for my use... :D but yea nice suggestion.

I personally would go with the nexus 7 as it is cheaper (so you could probably get something else from your parents like a few games on steam) and to me, using windows 8 on an 8 inch screen seems like it would be annoying, especially when things don't scale properly. 

Yea...but I think it's kinda to big for my use... :D but yea nice suggestion.

In that case,venue 8 all the way.

I personally would go with the nexus 7 as it is cheaper (so you could probably get something else from your parents like a few games on steam) and to me, using windows 8 on an 8 inch screen seems like it would be annoying, especially when things don't scale properly.

My friend had a windows eight phone.. He loved it, but I understand where your coming from with scaling and stuff, but I think most of e bumps have been smoothed out regardless

Hahaha...yea. It doesn't work like that, they're only buying me a tablet, and I can't trade extra money for something else ;D And yea... I didin't think about some scale issues, but I guess I would kinda be quite used to some ''bumps'' because I do have W8.a on my desktop...

My friend had a windows eight phone.. He loved it, but I understand where your coming from with scaling and stuff, but I think most of e bumps have been smoothed out regardless

While office should be somewhat fine on a screen this size, attempting to multi-task (window of word next to window of chrome) would be near impossible. Also as far as I know, the Windows 8 app store is pretty barren. I have not checked it in a while so it may have gotten better, but for media consumption and standard tablet usage, the Nexus is better. Also, you would have to deal with Dell bloatware.

While office should be somewhat fine on a screen this size, attempting to multi-task (window of word next to window of chrome) would be near impossible. Also as far as I know, the Windows 8 app store is pretty barren. I have not checked it in a while so it may have gotten better, but for media consumption and standard tablet usage, the Nexus is better. Also, you would have to deal with Dell bloatware.

True.

Hmm difficult decision

In one hand you have Android apps, so that means you can play all sorts of games in your transit.

In the other hand, the Dell is full Windows, so you can install codec packs and play anything you want without a fuzz or worry.

While TECHNICALLY you can run Steam on the Dell Venue Pro 8, the selection of touch enabled games is small (Broken Age, Civ5, and maybe a few others) granted you have GestureWorks (I have not tried it) for on screen touch control. I don't think the Atom has enough power to plat "PC games". Maybe some simple indie games. I would look into that (GPU performance of the Atom).

If you wonder about the digitize pen.. don't make it part of the up side, it's broken garbage on the Dell Venue Pro 8 and 11. It uses Synaptic pen, their first take on it, and it doesn't deliver at all. So consider touch screen only device, and not an upside over the Nexus.

May 20th, Microsoft will present the Surface Mini (well they are announced a press "small" press meeting, so it is believable the rumored Surface mini will be presented), so perhaps you may want to wait. Sure it will be most likely Windows RT, and access limited Windows Store apps, but depending on the price, it might be considering.

I have the Surface Pro 2, I play games when going to work as my trip is over 1h. It is more powerful, by a lot, so I can play games on it just fine, but of course it's much more expensive. I mean, I use my Surface Pro 2 as a laptop as well for school. I find it amazing. It's like a MacBook Air, with the same build quality and attention to details, powerful, and has a better screen, and the keyboard is about standard size keys so it's easy to get used to. But what I wanted to say, is that I love it for school, as I can type my notes as I did with my old laptop with OneNote, and then flip to tablet to write down with the Wacom digitize pen any graphs, diagrams, equations, and so on, and just flip it back into laptop. Quick and easy. No need to fight anymore when it comes to that. So in my case, I got the Surface Pro 2 for this 2 in 1 device. Maybe it is something to consider if you plan on getting a laptop as well in the near future instead of the Dell Venue Pro or Nexus.

I was in this situation a few months ago, and I have a pint system, each is one or two points, the one that ends with the most points it the one you should get:

Do you have a good laptop you can use whenever, if yes, +2 nexus 7 if no, +2 dell venue 8

Will you need flash (for things like anime), if so, +1 dell venue 8, if not 0 to both

Do you want to play app style games on it? If yes, +1 nexus 7, if no, 0 to both

Do you want to play easy to run windows games (like minecraft, tf2, and flash games)(often requires separate keyboard and mouse) +1 dell venue 8, if no, 0 to both

Do you like mobile YouTube or full YouTube more (only include if you use YouTube a decent amount) +1 nexus 7 for mobile, +1 dell venue 8 for full

Do you want to do productivity work on it? If yes, +1 dell venue 8, if no, 0 to both

If you only care a little you can lower the numbers, and if you really care about them, you can raise them, those are just my personal estimations.

I was in this situation a few months ago, and I have a pint system, each is one or two points, the one that ends with the most points it the one you should get:

Do you have a good laptop you can use whenever, if yes, +2 nexus 7 if no, +2 dell venue 8

Will you need flash (for things like anime), if so, +1 dell venue 8, if not 0 to both

Do you want to play app style games on it? If yes, +1 nexus 7, if no, 0 to both

Do you want to play easy to run windows games (like minecraft, tf2, and flash games)(often requires separate keyboard and mouse) +1 dell venue 8, if no, 0 to both

Do you like mobile YouTube or full YouTube more (only include if you use YouTube a decent amount) +1 nexus 7 for mobile, +1 dell venue 8 for full

Do you want to do productivity work on it? If yes, +1 dell venue 8, if no, 0 to both

If you only care a little you can lower the numbers, and if you really care about them, you can raise them, those are just my personal estimations.

Wau dude, thanks :D This is actually a really great system, and you reminded me about YT. I use youtube so much...and I am subscribed to 449 channels right now, ... so I really need that full YT :D Ty!

Oh you didn't know. Yea. Android doesn't have Flash. So you only get HTML5 available videos on youtube, which is like a fraction of all the videos.

What's funny, is that even Windows RT has full Flash support.

Oh you didn't know. Yea. Android doesn't have Flash. So you only get HTML5 available videos on youtube, which is like a fraction of all the videos.

Yea...and YT is a very big part of my entertainment (like 80% ;) so I guess that's gonna be a big deal for me ;)

clear choice. Nexus 7

the dell venue pro 8 is windows 8 and not android 4.4 kitkat. Save windows 8 for the computers

apple.com

Nexus 7 2013. :P

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series

You can always side load the Flash apk and use a browser that supports add-ons (Dolphin) or use a browser that has Flash built into it (Flashfox). 

COMIC SANS

iPad Mini with Retina.... but your choices are different I would go with the Nexus 7 because more apps and cheaper display is much better. The Venue 8 pro has some weird issues for example the auto brightness is really broken the windows key is awfully placed and Dell missed the opportunity to make it run from your TV or monitor without adding Micro HDMI cause this thing is Windows 8.

$$金Trill金$$

iPad Mini with Retina.... but your choices are different I would go with the Nexus 7 because more apps and cheaper display is much better. The Venue 8 pro has some weird issues for example the auto brightness is really broken the windows key is awfully placed and Dell missed the opportunity to make it run from your TV or monitor without adding Micro HDMI cause this thing is Windows 8.

I believe it has Miracast support. Never tried the technology, but apparently it works like AppleTV streaming system from iPad to the TV (Air Play)