Switched to Chrome from Firefox

24 hours ago I was still using Firefox in belief it is the best browser out there, but now it's unpinned from my taskbar and Chrome has taken its place.

I have been using Firefox for years as my primary browser and it has indeed been a very good browser, but recently I have been checking out some other options such as Maxthon and even IE. However, when comparing to those two, Firefox still remained superior and smoother for me. And well Chrome, I have left it alone for a long time. I have tried it years ago, but didn't like it too much then. Also, I wanted to stay away from whole "Google is invading you from doors and windows" thing.

Yesterday I came across some discussion about Chrome vs Firefox (like the 100th time), and I thought "oh well, lets download the damn thing and check how it really is side by side comparison and whether it really has gotten any better (or Firefox any worse)". And... Oh snap, I found out it really is loading pages faster, simple as that. I kept launching the browsers and loading various pages again and again, and Firefox was clearly more sluggish at both starting up and loading pages.

Another reason I've stayed away from changing my browser has been the fact that I want to keep all my site history. Atm I have 1 year+ worth of history, and I want to be able to find any page I have ever been to (and it also helps with following some very long going manga series etc). But when I opened Chrome the 1st time, I noticed it had automatically picked up all my history from Firefox, so no problems there after all.

So, I added the Addblock extension and a simple black theme and found myself good to go.

One other positive thing than speed I noticed is that Youtube vids no longer make my gpu go crazy (might just be Chrome using html5), with Firefox I had some gpu usage problems with flash videos.

Only small cons I am left with are:

- Header doesn't auto scroll down in full screen mode when mouse is moved there, but I'd need to keep exiting and entering full screen mode if I wanted to use full screen mode while surfing.

- History opens in new tab, rather than a sidebar.

- Message stating "xxxxx is now in full screen mode blah blah" cannot be disabled when entering full screen anything.

- No smooth scrolling option.

- Cannot change button order or do any form of customization really.

I still don't believe myself how quickly I switched. 20 mins before I was going "Firefox is the best", and then I was suddenly using Chrome instead of Firefox  B)

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

Firefox Master Race. We no longer need you in our club. Firefox is for those who appreciate open source for what it is and what it means.

On a side note, adblock is the devil

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

I am sorry Chrome is garbage.

-> It spies on what you are visiting and build a profile on you, and joins everything together as soon as you login to any Google service .

-> Add-ons are lack luster

-> Does not support image color management (test: http://petapixel.com/2012/06/25/is-your-browser-color-managed/) Even IE supports it!

-> Under Windows 8, it lunches ChromeOS overlay

-> Scrolling with touch is the worst,. I am not saying it's silky smooth as Firefox as it is with IE11, but Chrome is just impossible

-> Zoom-in with touch is completely broken, and unusable.

-> No high DPI support.. in fact, if you have a high-DPI under Windows 8. Chrome will show a gray screen... the background of ChromeOS overlay. and it is only 1/4 of the screen. They could be be bothered with scaling. Shows how much they care.

-> If you manage to switch to the normal version of Chrome web browser, it's still broken beyond use under high-DPI setting

-> EATS your battery life of your mobile system

-> On slow computer or ultrabooks set to Power Saver where the CPU is aggressively set to minimum even when pushed, the web experience is abysmal, while Firefox and IE11 (yes IE!), is just as fine.

-> For web developers, Chrome development tools are primitive. Firefox are superior.

-> Does not support Animated PNG

-> Flash releases is with Chrome releases, so you have to wait for a Chrome update, while IE11 has the update via Windows update immediately of availability, and as for Firefox you can get it yourself, or wait for Adobe Flash Updater to kick-in.

I tried Chrome a bunch of times, I have it to develop my web site, and I find that every year it gets worse and worse, I see less and less of caring and effort, and more of a vehicle to push you to Google services.

I've been using Chrome since it came out. Back then it was flying when compared to other browsers, and even today it's the fastest.

-> It spies on what you are visiting and build a profile on you, and joins everything together as soon as you login to any Google service .
-> Does not support image color management (test: http://petapixel.com/2012/06/25/is-your-browser-color-managed/) Even IE supports it!
-> Scrolling with touch is the worst,. I am not saying it's silky smooth as Firefox as it is with IE11, but Chrome is just impossible
-> No high DPI support.. in fact, if you have a high-DPI under Windows 8. Chrome will show a gray screen... the background of ChromeOS overlay. and it is only 1/4 of the screen. They could be be bothered with scaling. Shows how much they care.
-> If you manage to switch to the normal version of Chrome web browser, it's still broken beyond use under high-DPI setting
-> On slow computer or ultrabooks set to Power Saver where the CPU is aggressively set to minimum even when pushed, the web experience is abysmal, while Firefox and IE11 (yes IE!), is just as fine.
-> For web developers, Chrome development tools are primitive. Firefox are superior.
-> Flash releases is with Chrome releases, so you have to wait for a Chrome update, while IE11 has the update via Windows update immediately of availability, and as for Firefox you can get it yourself, or wait for Adobe Flash Updater to kick-in.

I tried Chrome a bunch of times, I have it to develop my web site, and I find that every year it gets worse and worse, I see less and less of caring and effort, and more of a vehicle to push you to Google services.

Most of this stuff doesn't matter to everyday PC user.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

Firefox Master Race. We no longer need you in our club. Firefox is for those who appreciate open source for what it is and what it means.

On a side note,  adblock is the devil

Well I'll pick what works better for me :)

Well I don't know about your mobile platforms but Chrome is working just fine for me on PC. I'm also not a web developer...

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

Tried firefox about 2 years ago, used chrome and ie since then. I do like the speed of chrome but hate that its google, so may try firefox just for something open-source.

I love chrome. I use it for everything. I also like Firefox, just not enough to use it over chrome. Chrome just has a smoothness to it that is unbeatable. Plus I also like the way your google account integrates into Chrome. Everything just flat out works when I need it too. When I was learning some web development though I never used chrome because it has a tendency to break everything.

"You can try to play chess with a pigeon. But even if you win, it'll shit on the board and strut around."

On a side note,  adblock is the devil

Got to love how easy it is to mod firefox to anyone's liking :D been using firefox since Version 1.0 and will always be part of the Firefox Master race.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I use the Firefox nightly. Everything else in comparison just sucks. I tried them all,  Opera, Safari, Chrome, Cromium, and IE. The main reason why Firefox Nightly is better is session management, and customization of the UI.

The only gripe I have with it is that it sometimes becomes unresponsive, but that is mainly when it is downloading an update in the background. Upon relaunching the browser it fixes that issue.

Codename: Project Stealth. See profile for specs.

Firefox is so clunky.. but I still use Nightly for things that don't function Chrome, like HTML5 tests and other random crap. I can't get myself to use another browser since I installed Chrome that first week it was released.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

THe car is yellow for me...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I used to use Firefox as my browser but one of the recent updates made it crash quite often and really slowed it down. I switched to opera since then and really recommend it.

Something, something, something, famous quote, computer specs, and stuff...

I downloaded chrome when it was still in Beta. Then I tried Firefox... I was hooked... I look the way it's set out!!!! SO MUCH that the speed difference doesn't bother me =3 Also no google peeps be looking in my internet history. I do use Chrome for YouTube though... As I like to have to YouTube accounts... One that I browse stuff on and one that I actually upload stuff on so I don't have to log in and out of stuff over and over again...    :)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I like Chrome and Firefox, but they each have some major disadvantages to me. Chrome has issues loading pages for sites I sometimes go to while Firefox just isn't as fast. I currently use Opera because it's basically Chrome without any problems for me.

Chrome comes bundled with it's own flash player last I checked; I'm not positive that is what gives it an advantage over other browsers during video playback but it's impressive either way.

I still don't think that any browser is the best; there were a lot of things that I liked about Chrome but ultimately I'm still using Firefox.

You think that google chrome is tracing info on you? Almost any site that you visit tracks you with cookies.

You think that google chrome is tracing info on you? Almost any site that you visit tracks you with cookies.

The license agreement says so of Chrome. I know people don't read it, but I do when it comes to important software such as a web browser.

Website ads does indeed trace you. But it a collective of ad agency, and it is to provide you with ads related to thing you like.

Google gets your name from your gmail or what ever service you have, gets you address if you put it somewhere, or can get it if you put your phone number, like the double step verification system, and beside targeting your ads, can ale that information to companies, pushing you spam onto you. In addition, it know how much time you spent on a page about something, and collects all sorts of info on you. You look for something medical, well it can now see that you have a concern into something, either curious of you have what you are looking for.

Also, if I I want privacy, I can fire up IE or Firefox in private mode, and I have it. Chrome you don't have that. All it does is not save the history and cookies and Google still monitors you.

Now, if it doesn't bother you, and you don't care, than that is fine.

I just simply prefer not to have cameras in my house, that is all. I want privacy on some things I do. I also don't mind ads on a web site as ling as they are not intrusive, and I do see them. But, I want some privacy as well, to me it's all part of respect. I respect you, you respect me, type of situation. That's my view on it.

I want to support the site I visit and enjoy. But I don't want to support unexpected visitors. I do give donations to Firefox when I can. I prefer that, than being tracked.

And the speed difference between chrome and Firefox, assuming you have a decent connection, is not THAT different. While I have not looked into, I am sure you have tweaks on the web to make Firefox more aggressive and reach Chrome performance or even closer.

I use the Firefox nightly. Everything else in comparison just sucks. I tried them all,  Opera, Safari, Chrome, Cromium, and IE. The main reason why Firefox Nightly is better is session management, and customization of the UI.

The only gripe I have with it is that it sometimes becomes unresponsive, but that is mainly when it is downloading an update in the background. Upon relaunching the browser it fixes that issue.

firefox tab groups.

if you are serious about work, that is the ONLY reason you need to switch to firefox.  no more of that lameass 'chrome tab teeth' effect.

The license agreement says so of Chrome. I know people don't read it, but I do when it comes to important software such as a web browser.

Website ads does indeed trace you. But it a collective of ad agency, and it is to provide you with ads related to thing you like.

Google gets your name from your gmail or what ever service you have, gets you address if you put it somewhere, or can get it if you put your phone number, like the double step verification system, and beside targeting your ads, can ale that information to companies, pushing you spam onto you. In addition, it know how much time you spent on a page about something, and collects all sorts of info on you. You look for something medical, well it can now see that you have a concern into something, either curious of you have what you are looking for.

Also, if I I want privacy, I can fire up IE or Firefox in private mode, and I have it. Chrome you don't have that. All it does is not save the history and cookies and Google still monitors you.

Now, if it doesn't bother you, and you don't care, than that is fine.

I just simply prefer not to have cameras in my house, that is all. I want privacy on some things I do. I also don't mind ads on a web site as ling as they are not intrusive, and I do see them. But, I want some privacy as well, to me it's all part of respect. I respect you, you respect me, type of situation. That's my view on it.

I want to support the site I visit and enjoy. But I don't want to support unexpected visitors. I do give donations to Firefox when I can. I prefer that, than being tracked.

And the speed difference between chrome and Firefox, assuming you have a decent connection, is not THAT different. While I have not looked into, I am sure you have tweaks on the web to make Firefox more aggressive and reach Chrome performance or even closer.

I am a strong advocate of Firefox (and develop the LTTNotifier for FF for that reason), but I should point out that Chrome does have a private browsing mode (incognito) which works just as well as private browsing in IE and FF. It is nice not being constantly tracked by Google because I'm using FF though.

Another key difference between the two browsers is the memory utilisation. As a heavy tab user (mostly when programming), Firefox's lower memory footprint is incredibly useful, as well as the ability to group tabs. Tab groups are incredibly useful, either for separating your stuff or removing the distractions.

Firefox is also more powerful in terms of the addons available because chrome only allows addons to do a few specific tasks, while disallowing addons from anywhere other than the chrome webstore (I think there are ways around it but still), whereas Firefox lets you modify the browser chrome (non-webpage bits like tabs, URL bar etc.), and you can see the C++, javascript and XPCOM source of the browser, allowing developers to see how Mozilla are doing it and improve upon it if required.

There's nothing particularly wrong with switching to Chrome, but watch out because Google is getting all yout data, and some stuff you could do on Firefox in terms of customisation (about:config & about:addons) is reduced in chrome.

HTTP/2 203

"Firefox's lower memory footprint" must be a recent development.

I used FF since early beta (+10 years ago) and got really frustrated at how unstable and memory hogging it became in the end.
I eventually gave up on FF and switched to Chrome ~2 years ago and it hasn't let me down in the slightest.

Still despite this critism and the switch, FF & Chrome are still light years ahead of IE, and to a lesser extent Safari.

On a side note, adblock is the devil

The OS you use is closed source

Almost all of the software you use is closed source

The laptop you use is closed source

The phone you use is closed source

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers